freph's 20L - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I never want to do this again, lol. I'm floating the HC in a container (bucket) so I can have easy access to it and the roots and leaves are getting so jumbled that I'm just going to have to chunk most of it. I'm pretty much picking out stem by stem and making tiny bundles with it....this is extremely annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Finally done. I didn't plant all the HC that I had but it's whatever....what I did plant will fill in eventually. I'll post pics when the water clears up.
post #33 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

A pic for you folks before I go to bed. Purigen is pretty amazing stuff...so is adding water very slowly. Also, planting HC is the devil! The devil I tell you! *shakes fist angrily* And yes, I know my HC planting sucks. Deal with it.

post #34 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
If it makes you feel better, I have found HC to grow faster planted and filled than dry start. I make sure I give myself a few hours to plant though. I am talking with or without CO2 as well so once it takes off, you will probably be ahead of the game. Dry starting is just a convince thing for me.
post #35 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's great news. I'm not really concerned about the growth right now...I just want the plants to get their roots grown in so they'll be healthier when the growth does start. Also, wondering if I need to dose yet lol. Fresh aqua soil = nutrientssss.
post #36 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

i know this comment is too late because you have your hardscape done already but i think it would have looked very nice if you had piled more of the stones in the middle and left a void on both sides. Kind of an island effect. The way you have it layed out just seems too symmetrical. i hope you don't take it the wrong way, it looks great but i just wanted to add my 2 cents :-)
post #37 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

A mountain type thing was my original thought....but in the end I just decided to scatter the rocks. I kinda wanted to recreate a random assortment of rocks underwater and give it the disorganized look, but I guess I failed on that part lol.
post #38 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the mountaining of rocks but only when in a large tank with aggressive cichlids =p, I like how you set it up, though I love stacking rocks in a 20 long, my 20 long had that before the rescape but it was a grow out for a jack dempsey =p, looks good I will be following to see how it grows in.
post #39 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Could still critique it a bit. More rock, less rock...placement etc. Don't really want to do a mountain though. Needs some critiquing though...I know. I just kinda threw it together yesterday. I'm thinking i might want to do like a rock mound with a center "tree" comprised of a twig and a bunch of Java Moss. The HC would be like a meadow of sorts. The rocks could have sprigs of hairgrass growing up between them as well. Thoughts?

Last edited by freph; 08-24-2011 at 04:44 PM.
post #40 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Mountains? Mountains. I like it. I'm also tired of stirring up my tank and HC, lol. I did enough planting yesterday.

post #41 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Any tips for the lighting? You can see that the fixture isn't that far off the water....which I plan to fix once I take that huge piece off the top of the dresser (yes, it comes off...it's literally just sitting on top of the dresser right now lol) and get a legit light suspension system. What should the photo period be like? I'm currently running CO2 on the tank and my ferts won't get here til Friday....so nothing but Aquasoil nutrients until then.
post #42 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Alright so this is what I did with my odyssea, granted mine is a 4 bulb fixture, but the tank is the same, I raised mine 7 inches from tank top, I would recommend doing the same, also less rock would be nice. if you add would go to pc1, he has great manzanita for cheap the wood in my tank came from him also for only $25.

the rock closest to the glass and on the left has been removed and a powerhead has been added even though the filter is ridiculously powerful

the plant at the front and right has been removed also, it is a nice plant but didn't fit, still havent added more plants. however im curious to see if you go with all rock and plants
post #43 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good job on planting the HC thats perfect. And yes HC is a PAIN IN THE ASS to plant lol. But its worth it, once it grows in. 10 hours a day light should be plenty. You can also start dosing if you wish, HC takes in a lot of nutrients from the water as well from what Ive heard.

Oh and a hint to making rocks look natural is to always use odd numbers, never even. Thats a trick ive learned from iwugami style.

Shrimptopia
Shrimp Town (20G)
(3G) Shrimpsville
Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #44 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

post #45 of 186 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Did a temporary redneck hanging light fixture today....lol. Turned out alright. The only issue I Have right now is getting my pipes to line up properly since that wooden shelf it's hanging from is part of the whole dresser. It moves off, but eh I don't feel like arguing that much with my dad....I'll probably just take it off one day and replace the fixture with pipe or something when he's not home. Yes I know the water level is low....I'm about to do a water change anyway. All of my shrimp are still alive, btw.

Pics!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode