10 gal stock glass tank
Eheim Liberty 2040 Hang-On filter
Aqueon 50w heater

Pogostemon Helferi
Corkscrew Vallisneria
Java Fern
Ludwigia natan
Weeping Moss

This 10 gal tank was previously set up as a saltwater tank for a nano contest on Canreef but has now sat empty for the past year. Planted tanks have fascinated me so I thought I would give it a try. The driftwood has been soaking for the past 3 days and tonight I rinsed out a bag of Seachem Flourite Black for the base. The best part of rinsing this sand was reaching in for the last scoop. It doesn't matter what kind of tank you have, the washing of the sand is the worst part.

Added the sand and water to the tank tonight, a bit of a sandstorm going on. Should be settled by tomorrow and I'll start adding the plants. I have no idea if I have enough plants.

The lighting tonight is left over 50/50 Fluorescents that are a mixure of 50% 10,000K natural daylight and 50% True Actinic 03 Blue. This is the reason for the blue tones in the tank. Tomorrow I'll replace them with two 13 watt CFL's The 6500k bulbs that everyone seems to be using are not readily available here.

Since a tank journal isn't a tank journal without photos, here's my first of the sandstorm

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 05:22 AM
I ♥ BBA!
PTrader: (112/100%)
I had to comment on that stand and canopy. I was so impressed that I just read your whole thread on the reef forum just to look at more pictures of it.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (0/0%)
Added 2 x 20watt Ottlite CFL's today and planted the tank. Thanks to the advice of many member's here the final design. Still having an issue with the moss moving around but I think it can be dealt with one piece at a time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode