75g Revival tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

75g Revival tank

I'm finally back into the planted tank business, and in a big way! I have a couple details that i will share with you, and many details that i will hold off in order to artificially create some suspense

This tank is going to apply some of the things that i've learned from my previous experience, and it's going to be a testbed for some of the things i've always wondered about.

Some of the eventual goals of this tank are:
-Experimental filtration technology
-Advanced monitoring and automation
-Multiple ideal viewing angles
-giant feel
-A dense jungle look
-Multiple colors and shades
-Polished look

Some of the aspects of the tank that still need to be fully hashed out:
-Filtration/Plumbing
-CO2/Plumbing
-Electronics
-Substrate
-Specific plant species
-Certain hardscape elements

So, the next big purchase for me is gonna be substrate! Suggestions?

Last edited by redfalconf35; 01-09-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Canon pimp #002

I have a feeling this is going to be the ultimate tease thread!

As far as substrate goes, I'm loving my Eco-complete. (Didn't love the price)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I loved my Eco as well, but the price is pretty steep, and my 4 bags of it are sitting 1000 miles away in Indianapolis, so i'm not gonna be getting my hands on it anytime soon.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I got the tank set up on the stand after spending 3 hours putting the stand together...
I'll take pics with an actual camera (not just my cell phone) when there's something worth taking pics of.

Last edited by redfalconf35; 01-09-2012 at 07:31 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have gotten the filtration for this tank up and running. It's not quite as "experimental" as i wanted it to be, but I may try to see if i can get a freshwater refugium up and running in the future.

My filtration is a simple sump system, with a HOB overflow running down to a 20L tank that is split in 2 by a piece of acrylic with holes poked in it (that was a good excuse to go out and buy a dremel tool!). I don't have pics of the final system, but i do have pics of the construction, including an attempt at a custom overflow, which i decided was too risky with gallons and gallons of water on the line.

Getting ready to do some "major construction"

Holding pieces together until the silicone grabs hold

Curing product after a few revisions (i had to remove a siliconed feed tube and the custom overflow)

My failed attempt at an overflow

The supervisors are pleased with their new shrine

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards
Clear up the excess silicone with a blade for a cleaner look in the front.

-Gordon
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I thought about it, but it's a sump, and it isn't gonna be seen, so i think i'm just gonna be lazy and leave it a mess. I ditched the custom overflow, so that disaster isn't gonna be in the tank either. I'll get some pics once my water clears up, and you'll see that it looks significantly better than these pics would allude to.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

New pics coming soon! I have plants in there, and it cycled rather quickly, so i have some fish in there as well!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Canon pimp #002

Can't wait to see the plants! The stand looks great.

RIP 75g Journal | OEBT Journal |120g "New Beginning"

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So, the tank's been stocked with plants and with fish, after a rather quick cycle. I have 2 pairs of GBR's, 20 neon tetras, 10 cardinal tetras, 5 glolite tetras, 3 cherry shrimp who inhabit my overflow and 2 gold rams who are in the filter pending my decision on what to do with them (they're too aggressive to the GBR's)

Here are some pics (apologies, yet again on the grainy cellphone pics... i'll get my P&S out soon):

I happened to walk in on something!

I see eggs, how about you?

So, the eggs are all gone, and the culprits are the gold rams, thus their exile to the filter!

Speaking of exile to the filter:

Near term goals:
-Plant it more fully... i don't like this sparse planting
-Get the next shipment of cherries integrated into the tank.

Last edited by redfalconf35; 01-10-2012 at 12:47 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So, i woke up to a wet carpet and a fountain shooting out of my sump. Evidently the return line slipped off of the powerhead, and the powerhead was dribbling some of the water onto the carpet... I got all of that soaked up, and moved the powerhead so that if it happens again, it won't be all over the floor, but i got a good water change out of it... it's just too bad that the water ended up in the carpet rather than my plants.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ouch.

I woke up and checked the new set up early in June. The overflow wasn't working correctly and was millimeters from overflowing the tank. Stuck a bit of tape with a mark on it and check it every time I go by now.

Screw on hold clamps are nice, I use them everywhere I can.

Thinking about putting cherry shrimp in my sump too. My tank seems to be almost shrimp suitable as I am seeing baby snails now where for months I only had a dozen large ones. The Laetecara love snails! Not really wanting to improve the diet with yummy shrimp.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here comes a non-photo update (i'll take pics at some point later this week or this weekend)...

I have added the cherries that i received in the mail, and they seem to have integrated well into the tank... they made a quick beeline for my overflow and have made a living on eating everything that lives in the prefilter... there is one berried mama, and a few girls with saddles, so they seem to be happy... Once they start getting too crowded in my overflow, i'm going to split the colony into 3, one for the overflow, one for the sump, and one for the main tank.

I posted a specific thread about my otocinclus in this tank. They seem happy, but they have decimated the algae, and i would imagine they are hungry... besides zucchini, is there good food? I have tried some algae wafers, and they ignore the wafers. Also, 4 of the 8 have made the overflow their home... any immediate need to take them out, or should i just get them out of there when i'm doing routine maintenance? I think i'm just going to jam some sponge into the overflow to discourage any other fish taking that trip (a GBR has done that as well).

My GBR pair has spawned again, and they seem to be guarding the eggs this time rather than eating them. Hopefully they'll at least hatch, although i doubt the viability of the fry in a community tank. The other GBR pair look about ready to spawn, so i may have two pairs of new parents this week.

I bought a few more plants to fill out the tank. Hopefully they grow in well... I have a couple amazon swords that are growing in well, a melon sword that died off a bit, but is resurging well, water wisteria that is absolutely exploding. Cabomba that i just bought. Red ludwigia that is just starting to take hold. I have some aponogetons growing in, and an onion plant bulb, and an unknown bulb. There is an anubias grabbing hold of the driftwood, some guppy grass (i think), and some java moss. The only stuff not doing well is some scraggly dwarf hairgrass that i bought for 80% off because it was 80% dead.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's some quick photos i snapped before i ran out the door this morning:

My overflow and its inhabitants:

berried mama

Random tank shots

And i apologize for the glare... i promise better pics at some point (once my plants grow in, maybe?)

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is that purple waffle I see on the right? That is a terrestrial plant if it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode