20 gallon build:Bank of MahaChai - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (7/100%)
20 gallon build:Bank of MahaChai

Another journal!This one is more low tech,going towards an almost rip build,but on a super low budget.
Will try to make this a biotope in a way,but not promising anything.

So specs are as follows
Tank size 20 gallon
substrate is a Mix of gravel sand ecocomplete and terra cotta pots busted up
Plants nothing confirmed except some crypts I have laying about.
fish will be a pr of channoides and a single albi,though I know they can interbreed,I just cant find any albis for my girl and shes lonely so Ill deal with mutt fry.
Layout is still in the plans,I dont even have the tank cleaned.

Pics later of the steps.

For now I dub this the cheesy name of Beauty of Borneo!

Last edited by majerah1; 08-04-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
So the hubbs has offered to help me remove the front pane of my 20 long to replace it.Its been busted for two years now and I didnt have the heart to trash it.So that will be the future borneo build.For now though,I still have to get the mahas in a nice setup,so the 20 gallon goes to them.

Substrate is lovely gravel,I have had laying about.Plants are water wisteria,crypts and some chain sword.Filtration for now is a 10i just to keep the water nice and sparkly.It will be moving to the back of the tank,once I get an extension cord.I have a female betta in there for now,just to see how she does.I cant risk the mahas they are critically endangered,lol.

Also due to the fach the hubbs said I cant remove the wood trim,the tank sits where the side is the fron.Meh it looks interesting and will work for this build I hope.I plant keep it pretty shallow and have some plants growing out of the top,and surround the sides with some more to give it a cut away look to the underwater bank.

So now I guess this is off the bank of Maha Chai!

comments,suggestions,laughs,everything welcome.Let me have it hahahaha!

Just the water area.There will be more plant growth and the filter will move to the back once I find an extension cord.

Looking down.See the black thing in the back?Ive no clue what it is but it will be covered by the filter.

Overall shot.I am wanting to add some riparium plants but I need it to stay true to the area.Whats some nice looking plants that come from Bangkok?I plan to have them growing up and out to bring the whole shelf together.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (4/100%)
Cyperus helferi is a good emersed choice. Cryptocoryne ciliata and Acorus gramineus also work.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru
PTrader: (149/100%)
You could get some nice riparium plants going in there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
Thanks for the plant names!

I do indeed want some nice rip plants for it.

A small update.The test female was nice and happy.I have some type of little flying mites hanging around the large driftwood and she was hunting them.Yay for live food!

So yesterday,out she came and in went the two mahas.Got up this morning to check on things,and in the very back,I saw a nest and the male and female under it.So more fry!i hope they can raise these up for me.The last batch I had to remove due to other tankmates,and then the heater went.

Oh and also,I was looking for some pics of the water wisteria emersed,and saw they have very pretty flowers.Does anyone have any good shots or the conditions of the emersed growth?I found one picture,lol.But nowhere did I find if they had to be in extremely humid conditions or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode