aXio's 29 Gallon and 55 Gallon. - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So anyone with a suggestion on how to get the light to hang better so the light is hitting the tank at a more proper angle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I stop by the LFS today on the way home to see what they had plant wise. When I got there I saw that every single one of the plants where melted or completely dead. So after talking to the manager for a little bit he offered to sell me 3 plants at half price and then i could have a handle full of stems free.

Here is what I got. These pictures were taken after a LOT of pruning. There is almost nothing left of the stem after I got through with them.

These were labeled as Anubias Minima. I had to take off about half the leaves off each plant but the ones left are in good condition.

This was label as an Oriental Sword. I took off a good 75% of the leaves off this one. It's in pretty bad shape.

These weren't label. Can anyone give me an ID on these? It looks like some kind of Ludwigia.

ID on these as well anyone?

I put the Oriental Sword in my "sick pot" with the Ozelot Sword.

So... I just can't seem to take pictures with out massive glaring now with the light being raised. So you get to see my socks in this picture =)

More glare shots... =/ But my beautiful Fire Red finally came out a bit for me during picture time. He loves the new lighting.

post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

tough crowd
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 AM
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a beautiful mega-sword you have here !
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXio View Post

These weren't label. Can anyone give me an ID on these? It looks like some kind of Ludwigia.

ID on these as well anyone?

Don't take these ID's as gospel because I'm still learning to identify things and someone will probably come behind me and correct it (but at least you'll get an answer .) I'd say you're right on the first pic. If I had to guess its Ludwiga Repens or maybe green but I don't think the green has the purple underside.

I'd say the second is some kind of rotala, maybe sp. green or macranda.

As for the lighting, you had the EXACT same idea as me. I'm renting so I can't put holes in the wall. When I did mine I actually put the chain in an upside down V so I can make the back or front different lengths which will cause the light to cant forwards or backwards. That's how you can adjust the downward angle to get it centered up a little better.

I'll try to get you some pics of it tomorrow sometime.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ya picture would be nice and that's kind of what I was thinking with the V shape. I just need to get some kind of clamp to attach bar at a different spot where I have the current chains coming from.
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

55 Gallon 11/6/2011 Update.

I added even more plants last night. As well as got myself 6 Otocinclus Catfish. Took out the wood that was sticking out into the middle of the tank to make more swimming room for my big guy.

Current Flora:

Amazon Sword
Ozelot Sword
Oriental Sword
Red Rubin Sword
Anubias Nana Petite x 5
Anubias Coffeefolia x 3
Anubias Minima x 2
Anubias Gracilis
Green Tiger Lotus
Ludwigia
Eusteralis ( I believe)

post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks good! Looks better every time

Keep a close look at your otos, see if they don't harass your Discus to much (sucking on the slime coat)

IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice Discuss. I was wondering what's your substrate? they seem to be pretty big gravel.

**** Green ****

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Looks good! Looks better every time

Keep a close look at your otos, see if they don't harass your Discus to much (sucking on the slime coat)
Thanks nalu! I'll make sure to keep an eye on the otos. I wanted them keep all my plants clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Nice Discuss. I was wondering what's your substrate? they seem to be pretty big gravel.
It's Florite Black mixed with Florite Black Sand. It's about 2 years old now, so it's got a good bit of built up mulm. I supplement it with root tabs every so often.
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXio View Post
Thanks nalu! I'll make sure to keep an eye on the otos. I wanted them keep all my plants clean.
They will keep your plants clean from diatoms, but for the rest, I never saw them touch any other algae in my tank.

I just read that a couple of times about otos and discus, If they don't, I will try to keep a nice big school of them with my future discus.

Show your aquaponics
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

Looking good! The 55 is so clean and I like the way you've arranged the plants. If you don't mind, I'm going to use it as a template for my 55 that I'm setting up in the next few weeks. I'll post pics once it's done.
mj
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbubbles View Post
Looking good! The 55 is so clean and I like the way you've arranged the plants. If you don't mind, I'm going to use it as a template for my 55 that I'm setting up in the next few weeks. I'll post pics once it's done.
mj
No by all means. Go right ahead. I'm still evolving the look myself as you can see. I've seen some discus keepers use the pots and I really liked them and have been trying to incorporate them here. I actually got 2 little tiny pots at Home Depot earlier today and I got them in the tank. They aren't shown in my shot from this morning though. I get some up tomorrow. Please show me your pictures once you get your tank running. I'm eager to see how your version will come out.

Anyone with a good solution for surface film? I don't really want a big surface skimmer. I already keep my outlet agitating the top of the water at all times. I've thought about installing a 2nd filter and have outflows on either side of the tank. I have another Fluval 304 thats not being used. But 2x 304s might be over kill. My tank stays very clean as it is. I do about 50% water change weekly. How about a spray bar? How effective is that and how easy would be to make one?
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Very easy to make a spray bar. They are pretty affective in spreading the water flow.
For the surface film, just make yourself another intake for your canister filter and put a little pipe just to the surface, easy to make and if you spray paint it black its not visible anymore.

I had a fluval 305 and a cfs 500 (with spraybar) on a 55 in the past an it was not overkill. But I don't know if discus really like a lot of current, but the 304 also has valves on it, right? so you can start with a lower current and let the discus and angel get used to it and pump it up little bit like little bit over the next weeks.

I never cared about the surface film and it always goes away after couple of days/ week.

Show your aquaponics
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Very easy to make a spray bar. They are pretty affective in spreading the water flow.
For the surface film, just make yourself another intake for your canister filter and put a little pipe just to the surface, easy to make and if you spray paint it black its not visible anymore.

I had a fluval 305 and a cfs 500 (with spraybar) on a 55 in the past an it was not overkill. But I don't know if discus really like a lot of current, but the 304 also has valves on it, right? so you can start with a lower current and let the discus and angel get used to it and pump it up little bit like little bit over the next weeks.

I never cared about the surface film and it always goes away after couple of days/ week.
So I would just split my intake tubing? With like a 2 way plumbing split?

So I added even more pots. The little one the right side that is sitting upside down will probably be moved or turned over a different way. I'm just not liking the way it is now very much.

Also I wanted to share with everyone that I landed a new job today. And the reason I wanted to share is because it is at an aquarium store. I'm going to be in charge of the entire fresh water section. I'm in a good mood today to say the least =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode