The Planted Tank Forum banner

29 Gallon Low Tech & DIY Stand (56K!) Retired see pg 3 for new look

16K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  kamikazi 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is for my 29 gallon low tech tank.
Basic specs:
Standard 29 gallon tank
2 HOB Filters (Top Fin 30 and Aquaeon 30) on opposite ends of tank
1 Heater
30" T5NO Coralife Aqualife Fixture
Floramax with pea gravel on top

Hard Scape:
Collected rocks
Collected Oak branch

Fish: All SA species
[STRIKE]1 Bolivian Ram[/STRIKE] Dead :(
2 Angelfish
1 Cardinal Tetra (got them when I bought a used 40 gallon)
1 Emerald Cory (got him used as well)
1 Peppered Cory (him and the Emerald are best buds)
9 Pristella Tetras (had 10 but one died)
1 Oto

Plants:
1 Amazon Sword
4 Melon Swords
1 Java Fern
1 Anubias
Crypts
2 Echinodorus angustifolius (type of chain sword)
Water Sprite
Blyxa
Alternanthera reinecki
3 cuttings of pelinium (the ivy stuff, I'm sure I get the name wrong)

The tank is viewable from both sides. I apologize for the quality of pictures, they are from my cell phone.
June 2011

Oct 2011

Jan 2012

May 2012

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I got the tank used on Craigslist, cost me 40 dollars. It came with pea gravel, HOB filter, heater, and some random decor and such.

I built my own stand for the tank using 2x4s, plywood and door molding.
All the materials and stain cost me about $78.00 as I recall.
Here are a few images of the frame.

I used an old dish rag glued to the bottom of the stand to protect our hardwood floors from being scratched.

#3 ·
With the plywood on the sides and top I used door molding to spruce up the stand. I got the molding in packs from a Habitat For Humanity Restore for $1.00 a piece. I think I ended up with 2 or 3 packs.

I used a flat strip of molding I had laying around to hide the crack between the two doors.

#4 ·
Staining in process. I put 3 coats of clear coat on top of the stain, I lightly sanded the clear between each coat.

And here is the finished product. Eventually the wife (much more artistic than I) is going to paint something on the doors.

I put a shelf on the inside for storage. I used "L" brackets to hold it in place, the board was one I had laying around.

#5 ·
This is what the tank looks like now a year after initial setup. There have been various plants changed out over time, and hard scape changes.
About 3 months ago I got a 40 gallon and needed a place to put it. So I moved this tank over to act as a divider between the living room and sitting area. This move made the tank viewable from 2 sides so I did a major rescape to try to put taller plants in the middle and shorter plants on either side. I am always on the look out for more plants for this tank.
Left side

Right Side

#7 ·
More inhabitants

Very hard to get a good picture of this guy as he is camera shy, but definitely not shy of me, anytime I come near the tank he comes up to the top to ask for food.

The Bolivian Ram is my favorite fish in this tank

#8 ·
That's all for now, I have been battling cyanobacteria in this tank for about a month now. I'm cutting my lighting period from 12 hours 6 morning 2 hour off 6 hours evening to 8 hours 4 on 2 off 4 on. Before I took these pictures I spent a good hour or two removing it manually with a turkey baster. If the lighting period change doesn't beat it back I'm going to consider macryn or whatever its called.

#11 ·
Hey! The tank looks nice and so does the stand. Habitat is a great store. We swap things with them fairly often for our house projects.

The plants need to fill in a bit but they look healthy for sure. The lighting on this tank looks a lot better than the 40G. I bet the plants like that.

I will confirm the Water Sprite for you. The grass plant I think you got from me. That should be Echinodorus angustifolius.

"1 Emerald Cory (got him used as well)
1 Peppered Cory (him and the Emerald are best buds)"

Used fish? = ) I find that more than funny! If you want some more cory cats, mine keep spawning!

#12 ·
thanks man, like I said I have been battling BBA in this tank. I think I do need to add a 3rd clip on over the 40 gallon. one reason that tank looks darker is the tannins but the T5NO is definitely brighter.

Thanks for the plant names. Next time you do some plant trimming I'd like more of the echinodorus angustifolius. What type of corys do you have breeding?

#13 ·
Corydoras ehrhardti

I will let you know when I clean up my 20G long.

#15 ·
yeh i had to throw in the beer shot :icon_wink

I'm not sure how the bba is atm, I'm out of town. I cut the lighting down to 8 hrs a day before I left so we shall see how it looks when I get back. I have a thread in the algae section discussing methods of bba elimination and it seems dosing the tank with macryn or something like that is the most effective, but it doesnt address the underlying problem, so I'm hoping my problem was too much light for too long. If that doesnt work I'll try something else. Nuking the tank is a last resort.

#20 ·
The ram keeps the angels above the main plant level towards the top of the tank. At feedings he will fend off both angels for algae and shrimp wafers.
The Koi angel I have noticed is starting to fight back some trying to keep the ram down towards the bottom of the tank. The angels are still fairly young so we will see how things go as the get older.

I have a youtube video of them interacting I will post it or a link tonight.

In my experience GBRs are way more sensitive to stress than Bolivians and more aggressive.

nice stand. Did you find a guide to build a stand or you just piece it all together as you were building it?
I looked at threads in the DIY section about tank stands. I drew up a plan for my design based on what I thought would work and what I wanted. I consulted my father who is an engineer and asked him if he thought my design would work, he agreed it would be fine. Then I built it.

#22 ·
Pictures with the wife's camera make me realize how much I need to clean the glass, but I'm gonna share these anyway.

Nice thing about this camera is its shutter speed is fast enough to get clear shots of the faster moving fish. I'll try to get some macros and close up later this week after I do a little tank maintenance.

Oh I forgot to mention the peliniam or whatever that ivy plant is, is doing really well I have 3 cuttings in this tank and one in my 40 and all are putting out new roots. YAY!

#29 ·
Wasn't expecting to update again so soon but I came home from work today to find the angelfish acting suspiciously. Watch things for a moment and discovered they were guarding eggs on the back of one of the ivy leave!

I think this is the male

I believe this is the female

I'm excited to see what happens, don't have experience with spawning fish, eggs, fry etc so I'm also nervous.

#32 ·
Sorry about the eggs. This was their first go at it. Some times it takes them a couple of times to get it right (hopefully we do better in our own parenting!).

#34 ·
Update

Update time.

After killing the BGA in this tank things are really starting to look good.

I began dosing according to Tom Barr's "EI Dosing Light for Less Techy Folks" combined with daily dosing of Excel.

Plants have been changed and moved around some since the last post. But this big difference is in the water sprite and pretty good difference in my amazon sword. The angelfish destroyed the parrots feather. I put Alternanthera reinecki in its place and its doing great.

Fish are all doing well. The angelfish have had two unsuccessful breeding sessions. I'm not really want to breed them, but it would be cool to see fry hatch at least once.

Anyways, the pictures (really should have taken these after I did my tank maintenance but I was impatient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.