The Planted Tank Forum banner

29 Gallon Low Tech & DIY Stand (56K!) Retired see pg 3 for new look

16K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  kamikazi 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is for my 29 gallon low tech tank.
Basic specs:
Standard 29 gallon tank
2 HOB Filters (Top Fin 30 and Aquaeon 30) on opposite ends of tank
1 Heater
30" T5NO Coralife Aqualife Fixture
Floramax with pea gravel on top

Hard Scape:
Collected rocks
Collected Oak branch

Fish: All SA species
[STRIKE]1 Bolivian Ram[/STRIKE] Dead :(
2 Angelfish
1 Cardinal Tetra (got them when I bought a used 40 gallon)
1 Emerald Cory (got him used as well)
1 Peppered Cory (him and the Emerald are best buds)
9 Pristella Tetras (had 10 but one died)
1 Oto

Plants:
1 Amazon Sword
4 Melon Swords
1 Java Fern
1 Anubias
Crypts
2 Echinodorus angustifolius (type of chain sword)
Water Sprite
Blyxa
Alternanthera reinecki
3 cuttings of pelinium (the ivy stuff, I'm sure I get the name wrong)

The tank is viewable from both sides. I apologize for the quality of pictures, they are from my cell phone.
June 2011

Oct 2011

Jan 2012

May 2012

See less See more
#37 ·
Nice shots! I really like the stress line through the ram's eye. Only one of mine has that.

A nice planting of stems down the middle, kept thick and about mid height would look nice.

#38 ·
yeh, I'm thinking of taking the clips from the water sprite and lining it down the middle and move the blyxa to outer edges. Maybe take the alternanthera and put it in the middle as well giving some contrast the the water sprite. The water sprite is doing really well now that the BGA is gone.

#41 ·
Sorry to hear about your ram. One of these days I should hook you up with a couple of mine. I am starting to think that the six in my 75 might be too many. I would also like to do some Apistos at some point.

How about this, before March 1st we update pictures of our tanks? I need to do the same. Mine is a bit of a mess right now though.

#43 ·
At this point I'm not sure where I would put a Bolivian Ram, I guess in my 40 with the Asian fish since its likely any in the 29 would just get harassed by the angelfish parents. I'd happily take a couple off your hands I love bolivians.

#42 ·
Big Picture Update!

These pics are about a month or two old now but aside from plant growth and trimming nothing has really changed. The big alternanthera is now growing up and horizontally across the tank at the water surface The angelfish spawns never grow up. They spawn about every two weeks and end up eating the fry, letting them be eaten or they die...I haven't actually witnessed the demise of a spawn yet. But thats ok I don't have room for raising angelfish.

#44 ·
Well it looks like I failed at my own challenge. Will try and snap a few shots of the tank tonight.

Really like the shots of the angle fish fry. Breeding fish is a blessing and a curse all at the same time. Sometimes it is really hard to get rid of baby fish when you don't have room for them.

Looks like your tank is turning into a jungle. Doesn't take long sometimes.

#45 ·
time for another update 4/25/12

Another big update, as you can tell I have run out of room for plants in the tank, so I decided to look into ripariums. I also drew inspiration from the Planted HOB thread.

I got the planters (shower caddies) for like 2 bucks at dollar general. The foam for the peninsulas I had lying around from electronic packaging.

I'm waiting to get some hydroton for the planters. I'm also on the look out for additional plants for the foam peninsulas and the one planter.

Here is what the tank looks like now.

#50 ·
Thanks, pretty annoying that they spawn all the time too. makes it hard to do tank maintenance b/c if there are eggs or fry they will attack my hand.

I'm assuming you are referring to the FTS of the right side of the tank, in that case the plants in the front on the right are crypts (not sure which variety though)

Love the stand and the riparium plants growing out of the top.. Nice tank!
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.