Project Trout Tank ( aka proj. reserection ) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Project Trout Tank ( aka proj. reserection )

So time to start this thing, hopefully off right. My old thread here, ( http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...75-update.html ) started off all well and good, but has since declined and much has happened since then. As school finished, house was bought, moving was done and home improvement progressed, the tank got shoved in the back. Well recently I have gotten the time and gumtion to get it going again. So the aquarium had sat in my basement at my rents house horribly neglicted until i brought it to my house in march to neglict it somewhere new. Since getting it to my house i have redone the moon lights, finished the stand and started cleaning it. Im currently housing some rainbow trout in there, so this tank i actually do water changes in, mainly though just to keep the temps down. I started getting some really gnarly black beard and hair algae, so i dug out my pressurized co2 stuff and ran that for a few days and it killed off all the algae, excellent. Recently, i finally got all my main lighting set up, got my pressurized co2 finally all together and set up, and now its ALL running on the tank. So there is minimal fish, minimal plants right now but i will try to end that soon. So without further ado, here is the begining of the Trout Tank, aka Project Reserction

Still to come, I need to finish razor blading the back glass of algae, get the co2 100% dialed in, get a better diffuser, and chuck some more plants in there. Not sure what I want yet, but might find some native stuff or just fill it with more crypts and some dwarf sag. Whats in there now is kinda overrun and dieing maybe. we'll see

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion
20 Long all gone now

75 Gallon Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for The Trout Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank looks cool...interesting that you are keeping rainbows with co2...most trout have very high DO demands.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very awesome. How are you able to keep the water cool enough? I assume you have a chiller. Wild or farm raised trout? Tank parameters? More pictures and info please!
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post
Very awesome. How are you able to keep the water cool enough? I assume you have a chiller. Wild or farm raised trout? Tank parameters? More pictures and info please!
I second this, I would like some more information on the trout species as well as what water parameters you are working at and how you maintain them.

This is a 75 gallon tank? Cool tank!

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Water stays cool enough from convection of the concrete wall in my basement with supplemental coolings from frozen tank water bottles, which i only use when outside temps are over 100 degrees. Last 2 weeks or so the tank has been almost up to 80 degrees and hasnt phased the fish. These are farm fish, a friend runs a hatchery and he pulled some out for me in early december, so they are almost 8 months old now. The spray bar and a XP3 have an adequet amount of surface agitation that im not all that worried about the DO levels in the water. My current co2 dose is very very minimal and only for 4 hours a day with max lighting. After talking with my friend who spent most of last year in Montana and Wyoming doing a trout habitat and population study, he isnt very convinced about trout needing the ultra cold water. they found brookies in streams with temps in the mid 80s just swimming around and acting normal. As long as the DO is high enough, water temp is only a secondary issue. During the winter months i had them the tank stayed at ~56 degrees, the normal range i keep the temp at is about 68-72. kinda warm but still cool enough. Appatite has been phased minimally effected, they are eating a handfull of pellets and a big chunk of bloodworms, they are quiet fat.

i might be able to get some water parameters, i think i have an annoumina test kit...maybe. if i do its might not be any good any more. Guess i could go to the LFS and have them test some water, i really have no idea what anything is.

20 Long all gone now

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very interesting. I am quite surprised about the water temperature. Everything I have learned about culturing rainbow trout indicates they have a very suppressed appetite at temperatures above 68-70. I suppose this fish have been slowly acclimated to the water temp as it naturally heats up over the season. If you could get a a hold of some brook trout they would look great in there, a beautiful species.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank VIP

This is very very cool.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Planted Member

You should add a Tiger Trout!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Hey, don't put my cousin in that tank, lol!! Looks nice to me.

The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow that is really cool. I think a setup like that would be illegal here in Wisconsin.

Most of the plants I think I see there could probably grow fine with no extra CO2.

That would be awesoem if you could add a brookie.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

wow i agree, completely awesome.

125g Mud tank.
(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Brookies would be excellent, but there are two big factors. I cant find them locally, closet brookies to me is minimum of a +5 hour trip and transporting them across state lines alive is illegal. secondly, brookies are EXTREMELY aggresive fish. they would not do too well with the rainbows or themselves in this tank. So, unfortunitly they are out of the question. I can get rainbows by the bucket, literally.

for surpressed appetite, i will have to take a new video of them eating. even with the lids just cracked slightly open there still ends up being water on the floor, which is quiet exciting to the dog and cat.

Everything i have in there will grow fine without co2, im just going to pump a small amount in and get everything to grow very heavily, then start to back it off. Im hoping by winter time or by the time the tank is empty to not need it anymore. Im running about 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds right now.

I should also point out, going back to the aggression in brookies, the reason the one fish is darker in color then the other is exactly that. its showing its suboardination to the other fish, as it is the less dominate one. However when feeding, they both color up and go crazy, the chub and shinners all hunker down at the substrate.

20 Long all gone now

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
for surpressed appetite, i will have to take a new video of them eating. even with the lids just cracked slightly open there still ends up being water on the floor, which is quiet exciting to the dog and cat.
YUMMY. Feesh water!

As for rainbows, them having no appetite is rare, unless they are very sick/dying. That's partly why they were raised as prime game fish, and have been introduced into every continent spare Antarctica; they're voracious eaters, and put up a fight about it. But I've never heard of the color change dominance/subordination thing. Fascinating! What particular strain are these rainbows?

But very cool, the only time I've seen trout in an aquarium was at the museum. This is great, and I've got to show my dad!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein
5g rimless journal ~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

These are the McCloud strain. They are alittle more tolerant to warmer weather and higher water temps.

Most fish will change colors to show domiance or submission, especially fish with a high pecking order.

Also, take note that at ~7/8 months old, they are close to 6", when i got them in december, they were only about 1", still fresh with egg sack.

20 Long all gone now

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah, McClouds. Thanks for indulging my inner trout geek Ever read "An Entirely Synthetic Fish" by Anders Halverson? An offensive title, but a good read nonetheless.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein
5g rimless journal ~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode