Complete newbs DIY 1st time aquarium - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
What about using aluminum foil glued to the inside to act as a reflector?
Aluminum foil works but isn't the greatest. It traps quite a bit of heat and isn't nearly as reflective as mylar or white paint. Technically speaking polished aluminum is the best, mylar the second, flat/matt white paint third, aluminum foil, mirrors (not as good as you would think and trap tons of heat), ... Of course shape and a few other factors come into play and some of the materials are very close - the first three vary by only a few percent with polished aluminum at ~95%, mylar ~92%, white paint ~90%.
ReluctantHippy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
kamikazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
Aluminum foil works but isn't the greatest. It traps quite a bit of heat and isn't nearly as reflective as mylar or white paint. Technically speaking polished aluminum is the best, mylar the second, flat/matt white paint third, aluminum foil, mirrors (not as good as you would think and trap tons of heat), ... Of course shape and a few other factors come into play and some of the materials are very close - the first three vary by only a few percent with polished aluminum at ~95%, mylar ~92%, white paint ~90%.

In that case I would just go with what ever I had on hand or was cheapest.
kamikazi is offline  
post #33 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
In that case I would just go with what ever I had on hand or was cheapest.
Yeah. As crazy as it is I can't seem to find the white paint I thought I had. Will most likely go with mylar just due to having it on hand.

Progress so far:

ReluctantHippy is offline  
post #34 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 337
Do I put my fans pointing up to exhaust heat out the top or point them at the water to get a swamp cooler effect going and to agitate the water?

Any suggestions?

I don't know what I'm going to do about the back strip either. It's just enough room for my filter to hook on the back so I'm not sure on how to cover the areas not taken up by the filter. I need a table saw

Does activated carbon strip tannins?
ReluctantHippy is offline  
post #35 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
kamikazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 2,245
rotozip or dremel? You could always use a hand saw it will just be a bit more work

I have no idea about the vent, I would guess vent out.
kamikazi is offline  
post #36 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
rotozip or dremel? You could always use a hand saw it will just be a bit more work

I have no idea about the vent, I would guess vent out.
I don't have either I could use my jigsaw I guess. I just feel like ripping a three foot plank with a jigsaw. Damn laziness!

Hows it look so far though?

Filter placement matter? Corner better to provide a varied agitation or smack dab in the middle to make is even?
ReluctantHippy is offline  
post #37 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
kamikazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 2,245
I think the top looks pretty good, do you have to have it 100% covered? you could just leave the part where the filter is open.

What type of filter are you using? If you said I dont recall and my laziness is preventing me from looking back to see.
kamikazi is offline  
post #38 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
kamikazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 2,245
just noticed your carbon question and I don't think it does much against tannins. If you hate the color you can get something I think its called puregian or something like that.
kamikazi is offline  
post #39 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 337
So decided not to be lazy. I'll have to make another so that I can change my mind and put it in the middle as well.








Maybe some legs now so I can see my floaters if I want?

Blah, I need more screws. I kinda like this top, going to have to make another one for the lizard cage now.
ReluctantHippy is offline  
post #40 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 337
Can you have too much CO2? Does it just become a pH and algae issue or can you actually obtain toxic levels?
ReluctantHippy is offline  
post #41 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to kshah
From what I've read on this forum, plants wont suffer from excessive co2. Fauna will, however.

Nice work so far! Looking forward to seeing some more.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
kshah is offline  
post #42 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Algae Grower
 
numbah84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Bay
Posts: 19
A ton of co2 with enough lightning plants to take it up can make the water really acidic and bad for some plants. But if you have any surface agitation any high amounts of co2 will outgas before anything gets toxic.
numbah84 is offline  
post #43 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
kamikazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
Can you have too much CO2? Does it just become a pH and algae issue or can you actually obtain toxic levels?
It can kill fish. Alot of times people with CO2 use what I think is called a drop checker (I may have the part name wrong) anyway there is a liquid in it, if its green its safe, if its yellow that is when it starts to become dangerous for the fish
kamikazi is offline  
post #44 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshah View Post
From what I've read on this forum, plants wont suffer from excessive co2. Fauna will, however.

Nice work so far! Looking forward to seeing some more.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info and I hope you continue to stop by and watch the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah84 View Post
A ton of co2 with enough lightning plants to take it up can make the water really acidic and bad for some plants. But if you have any surface agitation any high amounts of co2 will outgas before anything gets toxic.
Awesome info. Would a hang on back filter provide enough surface agitation? I guess I can always tweak it to provide more or less if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
It can kill fish. Alot of times people with CO2 use what I think is called a drop checker (I may have the part name wrong) anyway there is a liquid in it, if its green its safe, if its yellow that is when it starts to become dangerous for the fish
Hmmm. I'm going to a legitimate fish store for the first time today and I'll have to add that to my list.
ReluctantHippy is offline  
post #45 of 145 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Little Neck, NY
Posts: 1,608
all i got to say it - your DW are AWESOME!!!
can you please share with me where you got those!? i want some...
gnod is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome