55 Gallon Planted Tank and Other Tanks New fish and Plants - Page 10 - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Stocking Plan
#1 0 0%
#2 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I liked the old scape and I am sure I will like the new one just fine. Plants and fish look healthy and the scape was nice.

I am no photographer either but I use my computer's basic editing program to help me out. Straightening and cropping instantly makes my photos look better. I have a rickety old tripod that helps steady my shots a little and I need to play with the color balance and exposure most of the time. Lucky for me it is usually exactly the same adjustments or I would hate to do it! I prefer to take photos after dark so windows don't reflect in the tank and I attempt to get all the water spots and glass algae off but generally fail.

I like the 3 rounded rocks on the left better they are forming a composition and are different sizes. See if you can either find larger rocks so you have a variety of sizes or place several together so they read as one rock. Even those larger rounded rocks are going to vanish under just about any planting, bigger is better. Three of the small ones together, 2 together and 1 then arrange them on the order of the rounded rocks. Or the more angular ones could be placed in a rocky outcropping maybe with sand banked behind a bit and lower in the front. It isn't ideal to have all the same sized rocks to do so but at least it wouldn't read as dots of pretty rock here and there. Making a bank [really a curving line of rocks!] would guide your planting plan much as the swooping wood did in the previous scape.

Since it would be easy to do right now try straightening out the front of the sand maybe with a credit card running across the front of the tank, it makes the tank look instantly more finished looking. Sure you will be doing it a number of times before you decide on the final hard scape but it might help you be satisfied with something once you are about there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well it has been a while but I filled the tank with plants that I got from Petsmart of all places. They are all Tissue culture plants. What I got was:

Dwarf Hair Grass
Alternanthera reineckii
Ludwigia arcuata

I also partially stocked the tank and so far I have:

10 Dwarf Pencilfish
3 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
4 Silvertip Tetras

I will have pics soon but I can't tomorrow because I am going to the Skins game !
post #138 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 AM

Subscribed! Nice work man. I have an extra 55gl I wanted to make a discuss tank. Thanks for the guidance and keep it up!
post #139 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think I am going to get discus because of money but I might I don't know. Thanks by the way
post #140 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also I just set up a 20 gallon long which will be planted with an assortment of nano fish such as cpds. I will start a journal for that soon as well.
post #141 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:53 AM
Algae Grower

Nice Tank, actuallu liked the idea of your preivous scape more. Whats the substrate in the new scape?
post #142 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The substrate is just Eco complete capped with pool filter sand. Yeah people have been saying that they liked the old scape better but I like this one. Thanks
post #143 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Algae Grower

Nice! I really loved the 50g, and the old scape of the 55. How's the new scape looking with your recent changes?
post #144 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well here are some pics of the tank after it has been planted and all of the plants are starting to establish themselves and are growing nicely. Sorry about the glare in the photos but I took these kind of early in the day. I will try and take pics later in the day after water changes and when it gets dark.

Some pics of the Male Dwarf Pencilfish

Thanks for looking
post #145 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump
post #146 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your filter would get better flow rate if you cut the pipes to the correct length. So far it looks good though, what is the white barrier you are using ?
post #147 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah that was just poster board and the pipes have been cut down so that is not a problem.
post #148 of 172 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

nice tank I really like the sand!
post #149 of 172 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice to see this thread revived.
For those of you who have followed this thread, and for the several of you who were thinking of launching yourself into discus-keeping, I have a bit of advice, whether you feel the need for it or not.

This is not intended to be any reflection on any of the posts which have preceded, nor any adverse commentary on fishboy's plans or efforts, which in the main have turned out very well so far, but is simply a caution for those of you who wish to be successful keeping discus from the get-go:

- If you want to keep discus successfully, get reasonably good-sized fish from the outset, - not very young, small discus (nothing under 3" will do), and only get them from a well-known, reputable, experienced discus breeder or importer of good quality, healthy discus.

- If you want to grow out young, less expensive juvie discus, please do so in a bare-bottom tank, at least for the first few months, until they grow out to 3.5" to 4", not in a planted tank, and commit yourself to large, frequent water changes.

- If you want a planted discus tank, get larger specimens, and avoid a high-tech pressurized CO2 system, until you get familiar with discus traits & behaviors, and are fully comfortable with operating a pressurized CO2 set-up.

- If you want a community tank, please be certain you're not overcrowding, and for heaven sake, be careful of the type of tank-mates you're choosing to keep with the discus. Avoid those fish that can't deal with the higher discus temps, are too small & risk being eaten for lunch by the discus, and stay away from larger, very active, fast-swimming, or potentially aggressive fish which can out-compete them for food and stress them - leading to health issues for the discus. Also avoid any fish that may have a tendency to take a liking to discus's slime coats as part of their diet when they get larger, older and lazier.

This takes a lot of research to determine which fish are good tank-mates for discus, and which are not - which brings me to the most important point ..... you must do your homework well before delving into discus.... research, research, research !

Listen to the discus gurus - they generally know what they're talking about - from experience. Discus are not difficult to keep, but not that easy either... so go at it slowly, and keep it simple, to avoid problems & disappointment.

To close, I enjoy helping out new discus-keepers, and I invite anyone to PM me any time with any questions you may have on keeping these magnificent fish.
Regards,
Paul
post #150 of 172 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow it has been a while since I updated this journal. Not much has happened except for the addition of some new fish, missing plants and destroyed plants due to the rainbows and others fish, and I have had some algae problems due to neglect. I still have not gotten the CO2 setup but I plan to do so in the not so far future. I will try and post pictures in this thread and for my other tanks when I get a chance. Thanks for the interest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode