lbacha's 25 gal Crypt Cube - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the tip, it was definitely green water, I have a uv sterilizer running on it right now so it should clear up in a day or so, I had some issues with hair algae and I dosed excel to kill it due to work ihad to leave for a couple weeks and the die off of hair algae caused some issues that I'm just now working through, thanks for the comments on the tank, I'm looking for little to maintenance on a high tech tank (tall order) I have my ferts dosed with a peristaltic pump so everything can go a week at a time without touching anything, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, lol..

Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

I was too cheap to go buy a UV sterilizer so figured the hydrogen peroxide would be a good test.

I would love to have a dosing pump setup for my tank. That would be awesome!
post #18 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank VIP

This tank looks fantastic! I like the whole setup and im usually not a fan of the rimless.
post #19 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I got a cheap one from fleabay from marine magic, I figure if one of the 3 pumps craps out I'm still ok since I really only need 2 pumps. I went with the UV sterilizer because I'm not home during the week and it allows me to just hook it up and let it run if I see any cloudiness in the future, it was pretty cheap $42.00 at petco for a 9watt.

Len
post #20 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not sure I like the java fern, the scape needs the background plants to grow in but I'm not sure if I like the way the fern is going to work out, any thoughts? Should I go with moss, let it grow or remove it altogether and let the wendetti overgrow the branch?

Len
post #21 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Maybe Java 'phillipine' would work out better? Its the same plant but a smaller version of it.
post #22 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm, that's a good suggestion it says it only gets 6" long so that may fill in alot better than what I have, I'm thinking I'm going to let it go and see what happens then just strip it out if I can't get the affect in looking for, until the background makes I to the surface it will look out of proportion but it may look better once the rest grows in.

Thanks Len
post #23 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Algae Grower

I am partial to windelov java fern... unique shaped leaves as a contrast to the crypts and its historically stayed shorter than 4 - 5 inches for me.
post #24 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Is that the one with the little projections from the end if the leaves? The biggest question for me right bow is how java fern will grow in a high tech high light setup I've always had it in a low light setup and it grew slow and stayed under control. We'll see over the next month or so what it does.

Len
post #25 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

Yes... in this picture its on the left and right of my Edge tank.

I am curious about how it would be in high light as well.. but would imagine that it would just grow faster and denser especially with CO2.
post #26 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well it has been 6 weeks and the tanks finally clear I thought I would give a comparison shot from day 1 now to choose a school of fish, I want a type of Rasbora but I'm struggling to decide which one I think next week I'll make my decision

Len
post #27 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Planted Tank VIP

There are too many good rasboras to pick. Of course CPDs are awesome but so overdone lately. I am so amazed at how nice this tank is coming along!
post #28 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, it's been a while since I've kept a planted tank but I have lots of experience with reef tanks and that has helped with my venture into high tech. I really can't wait for the C Nurii "pantang mutated" that I got from speedy to start taking off, it has a ton of little leaves starting at the base and it will be amazing once it grows in. As far as rasboras I thought about CPD's but they are a little too skittish from what I hear and the current may be a little high, I'm thinking harlequins or red lines, but may stick with harlequins since I'm going for an Amano look and he used them in alot of his earlier crypt scapes.

Len
post #29 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Those Nuriis are fantastic looking plants. Speedies are great looking so yours will also be great. I cant wait to see it come together as well.
post #30 of 205 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good! I've had a similar bacterial bloom break out on my shrimp tank as well. Just when you think its gone the water fogs up again! Lol.

Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode