12.5G Tetras Tank with MTS Invasion (May 2011 - now) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's a nice little tank but I think Danios are kinda high strung and may have gotten your shrimp but I have no experence putting the two together. You might want to think about Amano's if you'd like something a little bigger that will clean for you as well.

I see the landslide from the move but your tank look nice and clean and some small crypts are a good suggestion, either a wendtii red, green, or brown would fit nicely without taking over.

I see you lost some of your mosses, too bad I really like the way they look, nice job and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have moved the Danios to my goldfish tank right now.. all 3 of them liked to pick on my tetras... like chasing them around. Now, my tetras are not that scared to come out in the open... Actually I didn't lose any moss, just transfered them into my shrimp tank. Weird thing the mosses do need mid-high light to grow.

Anyway I just upgraded the lighting in my 10g from 5w+8w (CFL) to 11W+11W(CFL).
Immediately I see the mosses are growing!
post #33 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
Now all you have to do is give it some time and let everything fill in. But it is looking good and I can tell that everytime that you change things around it starts to look better. But I really like the looks of it now. Just leave it for some time and let the DHG fill in up front.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #34 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im not dosing CO2, and just a single liquid fert every week. its gonna be slow to fill up. but I have noticed DHG and that other grass plant growing/spreading.
post #35 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I spotted this guy from time to time for over 3 months already. A hitchhiker who has become a permanent resident in my tank.

post #36 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now I have 16 tetras in my 10g!

Here is some color splash showing some of them.

post #37 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

NICE TANK!!!

I like the current setup! Like it has already been said, just let it grow in and it will be REALLY GOOD!!!! The Hitch Hiker is a MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail), and I like them where other don't! They are a live bearing snail, and can quickly reproduce in a aquarium! They do a GREAT JOB stirring up the substrate and cleaning it as well, but the can OVERPOPULATE too! So if you don't want them in there, take it out ASAP, but being that you have seen it for 3 months I would bet there are already baby MTS and you should start seeing them pretty quick! If they do populate too much for your taste you can sell them in the Swap n Shop, or get a dwarf loach and they can usually take care of them for Ya. Also Assassin Snails will kill them too!

Anyway keep up the great work, and pics too! I can't wait to see it fill in!
Drew
post #38 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

P.S. I believe the "otto" you had was actually a Chinese Algae Eater by the shape and coloration, and if it is gone you are better off in my opinion! They do pretty good when they are small of getting rid of Diatom and other algae, but when they get bigger, I have had them get 5" before, they get MEAN and can attack and attach themselves to other fish an do great harm!

So IF Ya get more Ottos, make sure you are getting Ottos! There are plenty of pics on this site of them. A search will find Ya plenty of info about them and how to acclimate them, ect...

Best of Luck to Ya,
Drew
post #39 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks BoxxerBoyDrew,
Yep, I think they're not otos as well now that u mentioned it.. I have 2 of the CAE now. They seems to be good at eating diatoms so far. Keeps my tank glass clear. I haven't seen them attacking my tetras... but they do move REAL FAST... like lightning fast in the tank. I'll keep an eye on them...
post #40 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now the tank has 16 tetras and 2 CAE.

My hands are itchy to add 4 more tetras to make it 20. Hm.
post #41 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added pic in first page. (how the tank looks now)

I decided to ditch CO2 once and for all. I put back 1 clump of DHG at the front.. will wait it spread. The grass plant (?) at the back is growing fast... already it sends out rhyzome with baby shoots.

So far all 16 cardinals/green neon are doing great.
post #42 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just found this thread now! I find anubis do really well with fish but in shrimp only tanks there's not enough "poop" and they don't grow at all :X. I might have to start fertilizing the tanks (lightly) to promote growth. Did your chinese algae eater/oto survive the trip buried in the gravel? Moving fish tanks is such a pain :X. At least most of your crew survived!

I believe your tank is pretty overstocked if you go with 20 tetras and 2 CAE. You do have a lot of plants to filter out nitrites/ammonia though so if its working don't fix it! How often do you do water changes?
post #43 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Just found this thread now! I find anubis do really well with fish but in shrimp only tanks there's not enough "poop" and they don't grow at all :X. I might have to start fertilizing the tanks (lightly) to promote growth. Did your chinese algae eater/oto survive the trip buried in the gravel? Moving fish tanks is such a pain :X. At least most of your crew survived!

I believe your tank is pretty overstocked if you go with 20 tetras and 2 CAE. You do have a lot of plants to filter out nitrites/ammonia though so if its working don't fix it! How often do you do water changes?
Hey thanks for checking out my thread

Nope the last CAE died on me under the soil. I was too busy moving stuffs that I didn't check properly. About a day after, I suddenly realized "Hey, where's my sucker fish?".. and it was too late, took me half an hour to find him too.. stucked way at the back under some soil near the drift wood.
All of the fish survived though so I'm pretty happy.

Yeah, now I feel 16 is just enough already. I do WC about 20% every week now. Hey how come you don't post your tank pics? Let's see it.
post #44 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, I added a few new plants... This is the latest condition of the tank

post #45 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also added 2 otos, finally! The 2 CAEs are still in there. I have nowhere else to put them.

Here's one oto:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode