"Finally" (DIY LED-lit 57g) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That is certainly one of the most beautiful total set-ups I have seen here. I don't see a thing I would want to change. (Other than the blue tape)

Hoppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
I didn't notice the blue tape until you said something! It must be his hardware for opening the doors!! = )

Very nice setup! How is the flow rate with all the plants in there now?
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Pretty setup. Not sure if there is enough light for glosso though.
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I have to agree with Hoppy, definitely some of the nicest execution of any setup on here.

The awesome woodworking (esp the cherry and curly maple combo), the nice pendant, the rimless tank, and the great selection of driftwood make this a fantastic tank setup.

Bravo.
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Many many thanks for the very nice compliments, especially from those of you whose work I've admired and learned from. Redfish, hoppy and 150EH need not worry. I'll be switching to clear packing tape for the pulls very soon. (Actually, maybe redfish wants to turn two curly maple mushroom pulls for me?)

Three days after planting everything seems to be going as I should expect. Some of the stems are beginning to show a little growth. Some of the crypts are melting. The java fern looks distressed. The "glosso" that I ordered and planted turns out really to be HC, which as I said was in horrible condition. This is really annoying. I've contacted the company I ordered from (which also failed to send me the moss I ordered), and will be posting an unfavorable review if they don't take care of both problems.

I'm doing daily water changes but I'm already getting some "green water" issues. I've seeded the tank with some mulm from an established tank, but ammonia is still off the charts.

Wingsdlc: Flowrate with the odyssea seems good, at least for now. But as I've noted elsewhere, I'm getting annoyed at the finickiness of the Odyssea, and am considering switching to something more...green and German. Any suggestions for the appropriate model--main issue being adequate flowrate for circulation?
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I tell you my experience with Eheim is any thing under and including the 2215 has a fairly mild flow and the main differences are the amount of bio media each different size can hold, the 2217 has a very strong flow double the 2215 and this is where I see a big leap in filtration and flow.

You have a few things slowing the flow, reactor, heater, and you could always use the shut off valve on the exhaust side to slow the flow of a 2217.

What's the gph rating on your current filter???

I've never used the ADA AS but as I understand it the Ammonia spike comes with it and the green water as a result, hopefully it will pass quickly and your plants will rebound, start up is always the worst, good luck.
post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I meant to ask what did you use to finish your wood work, poly, oil, etc.?
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I meant to ask what did you use to finish your wood work, poly, oil, etc.?
4 coats of Arm-R-Seal by General Finishes and nothing else. It's a wipe-on poly, and it is just fantastic. It's 1.5 times as expensive as the big-name brands that home despot/lowe's sells, and about 50 times as good.
post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never tried that or even heard of it but it looks nice without changing the natural tone of the wood.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
What's the gph rating on your current filter???
The Odyssea ($55) claims 480 gph. (High flow rate is one reason people love this filter. Crappy lid design and cheesy manufacturing is one reason others don't.)

Eheim 2217 ($~130) claims 208 gph.
Eheim 2075 (~$210) claims 330 gph
Eheim 2080 (~$380, ouch) claims 450 gph
Rena XP4 is (~$250) claims 450 gph
Fluval FX5 (~$225) claims 925 gph

I'm going to try another mod on the Odyssea, and if it doesn't work, I'm likely to go with the 2075 or the XP4.
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've got the 2217 at 264 gph and it does put out a good flow, enough that I would be a little worried about creating a whirlpool effect. I've never used any of Eheim's Pro line filters but know they are mostly very good and folks seem to like the Rena & Fluval as well.

I think the Odyssea flows so good because of the media being non-restrictive, I am a Eheim fanboy I guess you would say but I just put a 2217 on my 150 galllon and it laid my Crinium & Aponogeton right over from too much flow.

I like quality and saving a buck, so without question I would go 2217 unless I could have anything I wanted then it would be the Eheim with the built in heater.

I think any of the filters you listed would give you more reliable service in the long run, the Odyssea just has too many quirks for my liking and by the time they fix it they will cost more.

Double check some of your flow rates and watch for with or without media, 2217 without 264 and your figure may be with, FX5 625? with and your figure without.
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like the wood layout ....but you might have trouble keeping the playsand and aquasoil separate...i have a similar setup and my shrimp keep moving everything around
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

One month in: added some amanos, red crystal shrimp, and otos to give me a little movement while I think about what else will go in it. I put optics on my LEDs, which seems to reduce the light overspill if nothing else.

The ludwigia arcuata is growing very nicely as is some of that rotala macandra(sp?). Crypts have melted and come back again. My main concern is the Java Fern which still seems to be in a state of shock--no real growth yet.

I replanted the glosso with some far better stems I got from a hobbyist. It is currently growing skyward, so I'll need to figure out how to stop that. Right now I'm happy it's growing at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct3PlantedTank4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	35522  

Name:	Oct3PlantedTank6.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	35523  

Name:	Oct3PlantedTank3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	35524  

post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good, Java Fern can grow very slow and may take a long time to adjust in my experience.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Again, what a beautiful setup!

I have many, many, many Eheims. they are truly a great product (Classics and the 2222 pro that I own, cant speak about other filter lines). I'm a notorious over filterer and have a 2213 (Eheim says good up to a 59g tank, what a joke) on a 5.5g ADA mini-m and a 2217 (Eheim says good up to 159g tank, no way) on a 17g ADA -p. That said they both work great on the tanks and with the Eheim quick disconnects and flow control/shut off valves you can decrease flow on the outflow if its needed. I think you would be just fine with a 2217 on this tank. One thing you have to take into consideration with Eheims advertised flow rates is that they re the ONLY manufacturer that has flow rates that were tested with the media in the filter. So in all reality the ~450gph of the Odyssea is much less with media in it (I assume you have media in it) and probably pretty close to the Eheims actual output. Most people don't know that.

What is is about the current filter that you don't like? Like I said I own many Eheims. I actually have a 2217 I bought used on a forum that says "Made in East Germany" on the motor housing and it flows/pumps/filters just as well and silently as the 2217 I have in my 60-p that I purchased brand new!

I have no problem with someone trying to save a few bucks and am a pretty value minded person myself but when it comes to water and this hobby in general n every instance I purchased a cheaper/knock off product it had bit me in the a$$ and ended up costing me more $ in the long run and wasted countless precious hours I can ill afford to waste.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode