Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, most of the stems are long gone. I've been neglecting the tank for a few months (or more). It's pretty low maintenance so even though I've only been doing water changes things are going relatively well. I've had a BBA problem forever now but I need to do more upkeep to solve it.
Mostly fern and crypts now. I need to do something for the foreground. It's pretty hurting right now, especially with the shade from the ferns. I'll post a pic soon, after the next water change. The tank looks completely different now.
The LEDs are looking okay. I never did get the reds to look great, but the greens look fine. I'm still loving the sunrise/ sunset feature.
I keep coming back to this jungle like style aquascape. It seems to be my thing. I have fun with the stem plants for a few months but I tire quickly of the pruning.
Here's the maintenance of this baby, and I won't exaggerate:
Every couple days:
- Feed some random food/ wafers
- Remove curious fish from the overflow. (I really need to add a guard)
Once per week:
- Remove plants that have floated up (mostly hairgrass) and dead leaves.
- 50% water change
Once per month:
- Refill autofeeder
Once every two months
- Refill liquid fert bottles
Once every three months:
- Refill/ swap co2 canister
- Vacuum out sump and rinse media
- Sometimes I clean the glass if BBA is on it.