Hillstream loaches and shrimp?! - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (110/99%)
Hillstream loaches and shrimp?!

So I just set up this tank yesterday after seeing this video!

I love how we think shrimp like plants and such but there's nothing there except for rocks and dead leaves and other detritus, so this tank will have mainly just that --a bunch of detritus lol. It's also an excuse for me to leave it messy and not clean it because shrimp love eating muck and other random stuff.

I'm not trying to perfectly emulate everything but I want to try to come close enough that the shrimp won't be stressed out because I think I'm getting wild bees from Rachel (msjinkzd). I also want to add a couple hillstream loaches because the lfs always seems to have them. They always die in my planted tank so I'm going to try them one more time in this tank.

The set up is pretty basic and I'm trying to not add in that many plants besides a couple of ferns, some moss, mini pellia, and perhaps a grassy plant or 2 like Cyperus helferi to soak up any nutrients that would stress the shrimp.

Here are the specs:

random heater
28 watts lighting
aquaclear 30
random powerhead for extra flow
fluval shrimp substrate --it looks like an aquasoil analogue to me.
temp: 70 degrees (It's in the basement so it doesn't overheat during the summer)
pH: 6
KH: 2
GH: 4

Decor consists of old driftwood with who knows what growing on it, indian almond leaves, a bolbitis, and dried twigs from this houseplant we have.

The current inhabitants are 5 tiger shrimp and 15 red claw shrimp to test out the waters. The red claws are really good at hiding even though they're pretty big and there isn't much to hide behind/under. I'll remove them once the bees go in.

Here are the pictures (sorry for the horribly dirty glass and tannin stained water!):

Things to do:
-add more detritus like leaves, twigs, etc
-add mosses I have floating around in a bucket
-buy bee shrimp (I want to get blue bees too!)
-buy hillstream loaches (maybe next weekend)

What do you guys think?

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode