The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pumpkinheads Still Undecided 33Long

6K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  boon 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry folks just a teaser for now.

After much consideration I took the leap and purchased a 33L aquarium(48¼×12×13). I gotta give credit to nilocg,a member here who first brought this tank size to my attention. Thanx!!!! This tank is to replace my current 10 gallon shrimp pad. The crs are breeding like rcs and need room,lol. The rcs are breeding like....well,like rcs. Hopefully they're as happy in the new digs as they are now.

Today I got the tank. Thursday Is aquasoil pickup day. Everything else aside from lighting is already been stockpiled. Updates to come....

#2 ·
Lighting has been purchased,I took it old school with a nice t8 fixture. Lol! I don't intend on anything but the basics in this tank. That being anubias ferns and mosses etc. Lowlight/lowtech is the PLAN. Thanx Nick for the light info in the past.

Also instead of buying a stand or rack and setting this tank up where it was gonna go I bought the lumber and am currently building my own stand. Seriously all by myself. My dads been supervising but I've worked with him all my life and he says its time "I run the show". Tank will go in my livingroom inside a cutout in the wall that was originally for an entertainment center/tv.

Again,pics to come....

#3 ·
Some progress....sort of.

Now I just need some nice wood and rocks and I can start piecing this thing together after Sunday when the stand is done. Tomorrow I'm going to my grandmas house in Berzerkley so ill stop in at Albany aquarium and see what's new,its been a few months since I went there.

#5 ·
Lil bit better picture of the wood pile. I probably could fill this thing but I'm looking into one more thing before I take the plunge. Aaaannnnddddd I'm dreading the thought of all the time its going to take to attach mosses and plants to all that wood,therefore making me take my sweet time.

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments and replies in general. I was beginning to think this was going to be another journal where I just talked to myself,lol. Then again I guess that's what a journal is.

Shameless plug: The great wood came from Mr.Tom Barr,highly recommend the guy ;p

#10 ·
Oh dear,I think I took it too far. That's white sand in there. The plan was to line the sand/aquasoil border with rocks with moss on them. I'm not seein it come together like I envisioned. Please give me your thoughts on the matter asap as id like to get it out now rather then once I go any further,if that's the decision.

#14 ·
Since it's a shrimp tank, and you have ADA AS.....may as well do the DSM with a foreground weed.

Gloss might be a good option, easier than HC and not as weedy to trim and still low growing enough. Maybe some Ech tennellus or smaller Crypts in the rear. C lucens might not be bad.

I would not add much moss, it'll be hard to control later.

Gloss will do okay if you do the non CO2 method and keep high current.
But do not put a bunch of stem plants etc. Just the gloss and maybe a few crypts, keep the other plants hacked back.

#16 ·
Great ideas guys!! I wasn't planning on a carpet due to me not wanting to use co2. However my plans change every minute and now I'm considering a low low dose of co2 injection just for piece of mind more or less. I figure its not so much a shrimp breeding tank as much as a shrimp display tank so if I decrease breeding it will be "ok". Ill jst keep my existing shrimp tank running for breeding purposes,any reson to not ter it down lmao.

Sooo,does the sand stay?? And would using different types of moss on the wood not look good? Not like two mosses on the same branch or nything,more spread out.

#18 ·
That looks sick, Brando(n)! Good Job on the tank, get rid of that stick heater time to use a hydor external. I'm too chicken to use sand!!! Put some plants and fish in there and it'll be competition ready. I really like the dimensions on that tank, looks awesome.

#23 ·
Heads up! I had a flash back. Make sure you sand bag or weight your wood down. They look like they need to be water logged. Don't want them things to start floating and messing up your scape.

#25 ·
Ohhh my.... Im in love with this so far!!!! that wood is sooo sick
i can imagine it with moss on all the tips of those branches like some big crazy tree.... and I like the sand wayyy better now that it goes back like that, at first i was like hmmm but its much better now :D
Keep us posted!!! im excited to see this progress!!!

#26 ·
Some plants should be delivered today so planting should start soon. do you guys think id be alright tying moss and anubias down and keeping it wet with a spray bottle for a few days until i actually flood the tank? im thinking this will be a multiple day planting process and wont have all the plants at once. besides it would be nice to not have to worry about planting and tying everything at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.