Scleromystax barbatus, Corydoras paleatus & Black C. Schultzei breeding tank /// - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's only been a 5 month wait so not too long and I hope they are getting ready to do there thing, you have done a good job in the past with other fish delivering the fry so I hope it goes well.

It takes a long time for these guys to mature, I met a guy named Kurt from PA. I believe he is the president of "The aquarium club of lancaster county" he is mainly a Cichlid guy but I started talking about your breeding efforts and he knew who you were right away and stated one of the fish you are breeding is danger from a dam project in S.A., the L183 is this correct. Either way it nice that some one takes the time to breed these guys indangered or not, they are slow to mature and it keeps them from getting pulled from their natural habitat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
It's only been a 5 month wait so not too long and I hope they are getting ready to do there thing, you have done a good job in the past with other fish delivering the fry so I hope it goes well.

It takes a long time for these guys to mature, I met a guy named Kurt from PA. I believe he is the president of "The aquarium club of lancaster county" he is mainly a Cichlid guy but I started talking about your breeding efforts and he knew who you were right away and stated one of the fish you are breeding is danger from a dam project in S.A., the L183 is this correct. Either way it nice that some one takes the time to breed these guys indangered or not, they are slow to mature and it keeps them from getting pulled from their natural habitat.
I have plenty of time and I believe that is all I need in this situation as the parameters they like have been met and I feed them with a pretty meticulous feeding regime so I know they are in the proper condition to breed whenever the mood hits.

That's pretty cool, thanks for making me feel special! I am not 100% sure if the L183's are actually in the danger zone of the Belo Monte Dam but I know that there are tons of indigenous species that only live in those waters and need the specific tidal behavior the Amazon goes through in order to go through their breeding cycles. Its an absolute shame and I really hope that the BMD project gets postponed indefinitely but if you think politics here are jacked up you could only imagine the way they are in SA!

I know that the L183's are a tough species to breed. I only found that out after I fell in love with them so there was no point in even trying to not try breeding them. Fortunately it worked!

Hopefully the Barbatus and Schultzies follow the Starlights suit and get to it. I have had lots of one on one correspondence with Frank Falcone (coryologist on planet catfish and probably the most renowned and well know catfish breeder in the country) and he was just telling me that since these guys are starting to show the dimorphism that they MAY start trying to breed here in the next 6 months or so. He also told me that the eggs of the Barbatus are very susceptible to getting moldy and he has had to use melafix int he past to try to curb the growth of the mold.

We shall see...
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I wonder if there could be a natural cleaner for the egg, like Amano shrimp or something. Yeah I hope it works out as well.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I wonder if there could be a natural cleaner for the egg, like Amano shrimp or something. Yeah I hope it works out as well.
Don't know. Ill see what I can dig up on Barbatus in its natural habitat and see what other fauna it coexists with and if they have symbiotic relationships with any of them.

Ill kee you posted.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I found a nice group of eggs on the glass this Tuesday the 22nd. I wasn't sure if it was the Schultzei's or the Barbatus so I posted over at Planet Catfish. The consensus was that it was from the Barbatus as the Schultzei's are, like most cories, egg scatterers and Barbatus lay eggs in the manner in which these were.

Here are some pics.

Pic of the eggs showing the inside of the tank.

Pic from the back.

Last pic showing the eggs placement in the tank.

Also over at PC it was recommended that I take the adult fish out as they may eat the fry. I didn't have any time at all to do any of that so this time around I believe, if any actually hatched they were fish food.

Well see what happens in the coming months as my L183's are also starting to display normal breeding activities too. Its amazing how fish can tell what time of the year it is even though they are in a climate controlled environment! If anyone can shed some light on this, im all ears.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Man I did not think that removing ~35 eggs from the glass and putting them in a container would be so hard! It took me almost an hour to do and I still lost a few eggs.

I am using a 5"x5" Tupperware container to house the eggs. I have it floating in the tank they were laid in and have an air stone bubbling in the middle of the container. I pulled some moss and IAL from the tank and put it in there too. Hopefully they have the micro critters on them the fry like to eat.

Here are some pics.

The tank and Tupperware floating in it.

The container filled with stuff from the tank.

The eggs.

Ill post up and progress/setbacks.
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So its day five and from my research that means its time to start feeding. Or is that supposed to be 4-5 days from hatching? Either way one premature feeding is better than a missed feeding I guess. Im just not seeing much of a yolk sac in comparison to my pleco fry, which is very obvious and yellow. These have a more clear/white head area that I suppose could be their yolk sacs.

I just crumbled into almost a powder, a mix of spirulina/egg/earthworm flakes and put it in the Tupperware after I poured out about 90% of the water, refilled with the water in the spawning tank, poured out 90% of the water and refilled (how I have been changing the water in the Tupperware daily). I'm planning on doing a water swap like I described above after a couple of hours of the food being in there.

The fry are looking great and I counted about 45 and I have only found one dead since hatching which was tonight and I removed it.

Pics.

post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
Another thing you can do to prevent fungus (for future breeding projects) is get some alder cones. Frank just got some from me as well, lol (he and I are old buddies). It is always so funny to see friends' names pop up in threads! I know Kurt (Johnston) as he lives up the road from me and was the pres of ACLC. Small world!

Anywho, you can add 1 alder cone per about 10g and it releases a natural anti-fungal (instead of using something like methylene blue)
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
Another thing you can do to prevent fungus (for future breeding projects) is get some alder cones. Frank just got some from me as well, lol (he and I are old buddies). It is always so funny to see friends' names pop up in threads! I know Kurt (Johnston) as he lives up the road from me and was the pres of ACLC. Small world!

Anywho, you can add 1 alder cone per about 10g and it releases a natural anti-fungal (instead of using something like methylene blue)
I had alder cones a while ago and I really didn't like them in comparison to the IAL's. They were absolutely tiny and seemed to produce little tannin and if left in the tanks for too long broke down and left little particles.

Maybe they were just sub par cones?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode