This is my first attempt at a low tech nano tank and it is still a work in progress. I do have a stump of Mopani wood that will be the focal point. I did set it up both dry and partially filled with the stump in place but it was removed as the moss I have coming for it has not arrived yet. I am hoping to have that sorted in the next day or so.
The look I am going for is medium planted with some carpeting in the front. Fauna will be shrimp and some micro-*insert fish here* that I can hopefully get via the forum as the local LFS deal mostly in saltwater. Currently I have ghost shrimp in there because A. they are only $0.43 and I won't be attached to them when B. they may die while this tanks settles in due to my using soil.
The tank canister was seeded with media from my oldest tank, I had a bag in there with bio material for a couple of weeks collecting 'stuff' to help speed things along. Day three and everyone was alive, active and seemingly going about their business. I may come home though this evening to find everything dead but I am hoping otherwise.
Tank: Finnex 4 gallon
Filter: Zoo Med 501
Lights: Finnex Power Compact Fluorescent w 13 W PC Daylight 6500
Substrate: MG Organic Choice topped with combo of Carib Sea Moonlight Sand and Tahitian Moon
1 - Olive Nerite
4 - Ghost shrimp - i.e. victims
Hemianthus Micranthemoides (Dwarf baby tears)
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Red'
Echinodorus tennellus (Pigmy Chain Sword)
Dwarf Anubias Nana
All the plants came from Planted Aquariums Central
except for the Anubias which was in another of my tanks waiting for a home.
I will keep this thread to initial setup pics and some comments but I will start another thread with my journal entries. Although I am mostly complete I am open to some suggestions not requiring a complete tear down of the tank so feel free to make suggestions. I am always open to them and it is appreciated.
I hope everyone enjoys, this being my first nano and choosing soil there is a learning curve, I just hope it turns out well and I don't come home one day to find out there was a huge spike sending the shrimp to leap out to their deaths and everything else pretty much done for.
Link to web player that I will continuously update as pics are added.
Tank fresh out of the box. The supplied filter will never see the light of day in lieu of the Zoo Med 501
Clips for lid. These were a separate purchase. The tank does not come with a supplied lid so this will be a DIY most likely will purchase glass cut to size. This would fit on these lid clips nicely.
Profile frontal of Mopani stump - the side I will be using
Profile side of Mopani - back side. It has character, I just don't think this is the side that should be shown.
Frontal shot after soil added
Tank with soil added
Close up shot of the rounded tank edges in front. For the most part the finish work is very good. I was impressed with the quality of this tank.
Full frontal with tank light
Another full frontal shot
Stump placed in the location it will eventually reside. For the final I did slope up more to that side, as much as I dared considering I am using soil.
Another shot of the above
Profile of the other side as it appeared, I just wasn't feeling this much although it has character. I don't think the coloration would be as visible. Wet it does not show it at all sadly.
Full frontal with the Mopani in place. The last version I worked on I replaced the white background which was just a sheet of paper with a piece of white rice paper material used for window covering. It really looks interesting and not so plain as simple paper. I am not sure though if that is the right color/look, up for debate still.
This was a layout that I chose after some planting. I eventually filled the tank, looked at everything to make sure I was happy with it then lowered the water level in order to remove the stump.
This frontal of the tank was what I chose as the final layout for the stump. The Anubias made it in after this.
This was taken later after adding the plumbing for the Zoo Med 501. See the spoon off to the side? Yeah, that is how I filled the tank. More details in the next thread on this.
Tank filled with ghost shrimp acclimating prior to release. You can see the canister off to the left of the tank.
This is a full frontal of the tank with the house lights dimmed. The tank on the right is the feeder tank where the plants were until I moved them over. This was a test soil based tank that will be decommissioned soon.
Another frontal of the tank
I took a series of pics of the ghost shrimp foraging & exploring about. The camera is a POC p&c that is giving me fits when I try to use the macro on the shrimp. It focuses on them fine and when I snap the picture it refocuses and drops out to what you see below.
Ghost shrimp foraging
Dueling shrimp, this was a battle royale!
Mine, all mine muahahahaha!!
Look, food! Run for it..