Community 40B High Tech - Would like some guidance - updated 12/29/11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Community 40B High Tech - Would like some guidance - updated 12/29/11

Ok, so I have this tank for about six months now. I swapped everything out of my 29G when I purchased it. I also bought a 2x39W T5HO light.

It has been basically emptied/filled twice since setting it up. Both times were to move it (once across town the other to the new stand).

Basically I see all these beautiful tanks, and although I enjoy mine I just see no symmetry to it.

I would really like some guidance and aquascaping advice. I'm willing to listen to all criticism and what members here think I should do.

Here is the breakdown of equipment, plants, and fish:
40 Gallon Breeder
Aquatic Life 2x39W T5HO w/ 10K Bulbs (LFS would only trade out the actnic for a 10K, no 6700k. )
Eheim 2028 Filter
Hydor Eth 300W Heater
Paintball Co2 w/ Ceramic Glass Diffuser

1x Anubius Barteri
2x Anubius Nana
2x Dwarf Red Tiger Lilly
1x Argentine Swords (trying to grow out of the tank)
1x Amazon Sword
Dwarf Sagitarius
Sunset Hygro
Both Christmas and Taiwan Moss
Unkown red plant
uknown crypt

Currently for hardscape I have 2 pieces of driftwood and a bunch of slate made into caves.

Residents:
14 x Cardinal Tetra
8 x Black Neon Tetra
2 x Yoyo Loaches
3 or 4 x Otocinclus
1 x Panda Cory (yes I know he needs friend but at $6.00 each.... And the LFS has been out the last two times I had money)

This was updated 07/27/11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-17_11-42-43_75.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	29905  

Last edited by lnstevens; 12-29-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Many plants...little time

You could take the large piece of DW and lean it against the back left side of the tank.
I think it could look nice sloping into the tank.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Is that light sitting right on top of the tank or is it raised? I think you'll be needing co2 if you don't want algae if the light isn't raised.. What fixture is it exactly?

And you said no nitrites/nitrates? What about ammonia? Sounds like the tank hasn't cycled yet as there would be nitrates present if so...

Also ferts.. Do you have them? Need nitrogen/phosphorous/potassium, iron, and micros/traces like csm+b or seachem flourish trace.. If the light is raised and you want a low light tank with no co2 then you may be able to get by with just a micro or comprehensive solution like flourish comprehensive and possibly root tabs. can do dry ferts or liquid, dry is much cheaper..root tabs/capsules if you want, I would suggest a complete tab like root medic or otherwise and not APIs or seachems root tabs as those are mostly iron..
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is fully cycled, never even had a minicycle when I upgraded from my 29 to the 40.

The nitrates being zero is probably due to the amount of plants I would suspect, which means I probably do need to be dosing ferts.

I've only been putting in 1 cap of Flourish each week and 1 Capful a day of excel. I can't afford Co2 yet so maybe I will up my excel to two capfuls a day???

The light is about 2" - 2 1/2" off the tank on legs.

the substrate is a combination of Tahitian moonsand and Flourite Black.

I took the advice and moved the driftwood, but I also added the slate tower I was thinking about.

I kind of like it, but would like opinions as I can always remove it.

Tank is still bubbling from the water change but here are pics from tonight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-04-17_20-51-41_811.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	29930  

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't been on here in a few months. Moved and kind of neglected my tank, but getting back into it so thought I would update.

1.) I now have 15 Cardinal tetras, 1 Panda Cory, 2 yoyo loaches, and 2 otos (may be more hiding).

2.) Have to replace the impeller in my 2028 (ordering this week from bigals unless someone knows where I can get a better price).

3.) Buidling a stand. I'm framing one today so I can get the tank moved off the counter then framing another and covering it with birch plywood and waterproof laquer.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, figured I would post a picture of a tank that has gone 1 1/2 months without a water change and my lights have been off 3/4 of the time.

I'm putting it on a stand tomorrow and getting back to work.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, so the "framed" stand will be finished today. We are going to build a better stand after this one.

So, I get paintball co2 this week, I'm running an aquatic life 2x39W T5HO on it's legs.

Well, my swords have to go. They are outgrowing the tank and I have no real foreground so I'm looking for options.

Any ideas on what plants I should get?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, finished the stand and got the tank on it. Mis-measured so it is exactly 3" to big. LOL

Oh, well, this is just a "temporary" stand. We will be rebuilding it more cabinet style with Birch exterior stained a nice mahogany or espresso color.

But I could really use advice/critism on the tank. I will be adding PB Co2 next week along with more fish the end of this week.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering ammon=0 nitri=0 nitra=0 but then again I just did two 95% water changes. One because I thought we would have finished the stand last night, but didn't, so I had to refill the tank. And the other to move the tank tonight (sorry I'm not going to try and move a 40G tank full. ).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-07-18_22-30-56_836.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	32781  

Name:	2011-07-18_22-31-10_749.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	32782  

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cleaned the tank today and took some new pictures. I would like some help identify the crypts and the plants behind them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	full tank 7-22-11.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	32902  

Name:	2011-07-22_14-09-28_111.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	32903  

Name:	2011-07-22_14-09-44_896.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	32904  

Name:	2011-07-22_14-08-53_341.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	32905  

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm, no responses. I was hoping for at least help with the plant identification, if not help with ideas for plants for foreground, middle, back, etc....
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, finally got my PaintBall Co2 setup and running. I don't have a drop checker yet so I have it turned down very low so as not to gas the fish out. I know I had two during my last move, but I have to go through the shed outside to see if I still have them. Otherwise I will order one in about 3 weeks (fall financial aid) and start checking the PH in the meantime.

These are updated pictures as of today. I'm looking for any and all aquascaping advice I can get, even if it is criticism of my current scape. Although I love the look of the plants, wood, slate, etc... I just don't feel it is coming together the way it should.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-07-26_18-26-55_951.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	33043  

Name:	2011-07-26_18-27-03_288.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	33044  

Name:	2011-07-26_18-29-28_30.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	33045  

Name:	2011-07-26_18-29-47_608.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	33046  

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Planted Member

Your current scape is a good improvement from the original so I'm sure you are on the right path. As for further improvements, I would say perhaps addition of some mid-ground and foreground plants may help feel up the voids in the front and middle regions.

Personally, I will add one or two driftwoods too to fill up the spaces.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
Your current scape is a good improvement from the original so I'm sure you are on the right path. As for further improvements, I would say perhaps addition of some mid-ground and foreground plants may help feel up the voids in the front and middle regions.

Personally, I will add one or two driftwoods too to fill up the spaces.
Hmm, more driftwood. I've kind of thought about that, although lack of money has kind of held me up.

I would like some foreground/middle plants but I'm unsure of what are good plants for both. I wish I was more knowledgable, but this takes years of learning IMO.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just thought I would update. I killed all but one of my cardinals and 2 of my black neons due to too much Co2. I added 4 Harlequin Rasboras though. The swords are gone (both of them) and replaced with Wisteria one one, and nothing yet on the other.

I believe I have the Co2 close to right now (no drop checker but no dead fish). I'm planning to add a real bubble counter (isntead of using the bottom of the diffuser) and a drop checker as soon as financial aid comes in. Hopefully then I will rebuild my Cardinal Tetra stock (not going to replace the black neons) and school the cory (lonely fish since he is a lone panda cory) and get the GBR I want.

I do like the idea of more drift wood so I am considering it, but considering I'm setting up a whole new tank out of my financial aid it may have to wait. I'm setting up a CBR tank.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I basically neglected my tank for the last 4 months, literally. Lost my cardinals and was just getting overall frustrated, so just let it go.

I should have taken before pictures, but I didn't. The tank was 4" low on water, spray bar was spraying on the glass canopy and ended up with a 1/4" thick layer of Algae growing on it.

But the plans did well and all 4 of the Rasboras, at least one cory cat, one otto, and both Kuhli loaches managed to survive.

So, last night I cleaned it. Purchased a new 20 oz pb co2 and got it running again.

The light was never adjusted, but now I have to figure out how to deal with some algae I have growing on the driftwood.

This is what the tank looks like today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode