Otocinclus Cocama - A Zebra's Journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Very nice project James. I agree on the wood. Otos love it. I dont think they rasp on it to eat it like plecos do but it seems to grow enough biofilm of algae or whatever that they hang around it alot. It also probably serves as a hiding comfort for them too. They have pretty good camo and probably feel invisible on the wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't take my word for it... here's my little guys in action...

Ignore the blurry fish in the way trying to hog the spotlight and you should be able to see at least 3 of my 5 cocamas in this one...

Sorry... crappy iPhone pics I snapped as I was running out the door at lunch, but still a compelling argument for keeping some driftwood in their tank.

Did I mention, I love these little guys?

J
post #33 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Those zebra oto's are really pretty fish. I can't wait until James breeds enough for us all.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #34 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

@James, the girls had mopani in their tank, FWIW.

Quote:
Did I mention, I love these little guys?
Probably my favorite cat.

If success or failure of this planet and of human beings depended on how I am and what I do. How would I be? What would I do?
post #35 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Manzanita to be replaced with Mopani. Will have to reposition some crypts around and work on a couple foreground plants. Should have the new filter in place today as well.
post #36 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wasn't able to spend as much time as I had originally planned in the tank today. I did manage to get the filter in place. I'll prepare the prefilter probably tomorrow. The current actually turned out to be a bit stronger than I wanted. I can adjust it on this model though so I think it will turn out ok.

The Mopani is in and will have to tweak it a bit as well once I move around the crypts. Without the moss wall in there, I will need to put in a couple more background stems.

I did notice all Otos in the crypt jungle.

Still need to recharge the CO2 and get the water tests done for my baseline. I will set that on the schedule for tomorrow.
post #37 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Finally got the tank topped off. Went on a duckweed erradication mission. As you know that will be a never ending battle. I'll be pretty diligent in that if I see a plant, it will be removed. I am going to be using Azolla as my floater in this tank.

On that same note, I felt like I was a marine biologist collecting samples from the wild. The wild turned out be to my 45g with a boat load of floating stuff. The Azolla was thoroughly blended in. I found a very good way of picking it out. A bamboo skewer. The Azolla went right to it which was odd and gratefull at the same time.

Tomorrow I may finally get the crypts sorted out and that ever elusive water test.

All occupants doing just fine. I saw the two ladies in what appeared to be a turf war in that they were scuffling for the same spot under the driftwood.
post #38 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here is the current shot of the House that Cocama built. lol

Pretty much have the crypts where I want them. Seem to be a nice spot around the rock and driftwood. Driftwood was swapped out yet again with a nice piece of Malaysian wood. Fits nicely into the scape.

Plenty of floor space for now until I get a moss wall up. For now, I'll just incorporate stem plants around. As you can see, they need to fill in.

Zucchini is placed right up front under the wood.

Removed a few more Duckweed plants. Will stay on top of it. Didn't see anything floating up top after I was done but I'm sure it's lurking.

Water test definately will be done tomorrow. Was too cloudy to do from planting the crypts.
post #39 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #40 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

And now the numbers:

Temp: 80 (Ouch...immediately unplugged the heater and will go without one for now. Fan blowing over the tank to cool down. Will monitor to see where it stabilizes. May do the same thing as the Vittatus tank. That temp is a nice 75)

pH: 7.4
NO3: 10
GH: 7
KH: 5
TDS: 167

Inside Room Parms: Temp - 72, Barometric Pressure - 31.65, Humidity - 39%

New CO2 is prepping and I expect the big 3 parms to adjust slightly after 24hrs. Will take new readings on Friday to see where we are at after CO2 recharge.
post #41 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Temp already down to 76. Two degrees away from target. Turned the fan off and air stone on to oxygenate the water.
post #42 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Morning check of the tank found the temp at a nice 74 degrees. Right on target. Now to wait until this afternoon for the flex and see if there will be any swing.
post #43 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

All is holding steady still. Water change on tap for today. I have seen one of guys hanging with a lady but not for long periods of time. May have just been a casual "hi, how you doing" encounter.
post #44 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Still waiting on the tank to fill in. Everything is just soooooo slow growing. I really need to consider swapping out this substrate. If the plants aren't growing well, it will certainly impact the project. I'm contimplating setting up a tank for Eco and get it ready for a swap or even another SMS. I can't do a ton of changes in here that will impact the over all environment but may need to seriously consider the substrate swap. The plants are the key to this.

I have Eco in the O. Macrospilus already but don't want to disturb that tank. Those two are finally spending more time together which hopefully is a good sign. The Caridina 'Dark Greens' are getting a bit numerous so will have to start thinning.

The Cocama ladies are doing outstanding. Found them together yesterday. Probably gossiping about the boys. We know how that goes right? j/k ladies.

The Mopani wood with the rock seems to be a big hit as well. This seems to be the major hang out. With the crypts nestled right beside it, makes for good cover.

Search continues for O. Flexilis and O. Mimulus to round out my Otocinclus projects. One day ... eventually ... hopefully.
post #45 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My little guys are still crazy about my manzanita. There is a light layer of algae on there, which is great for them. My regular otos are fat and happy. I can't tell if they are gravid or just really fat right now. My zebras are all still thriving and enjoying life!

I'm still checking in on your little guys and hoping someone gets frisky one of these days!

J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode