Otocinclus Cocama - A Zebra's Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

24hr mark and still looking good. One more day to go to clear the first hurdle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Have you noticed the females eating yet?

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
Have you noticed the females eating yet?
I've seen them on the glass and in the crypt jungle. They are moving about which is good.
post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very cool project... I myself want to eventually breed, raise and sell fish and inverts, including otocinclus!! Will start with a normal planted tank first (first real one)!!!!
Anyways, good luck!!
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:40 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

All are doing just fine in their new home. I catch the new additions at different areas of the tank everytime I check on them. I may be able to get in there and start readjusting some of the plants now. I will follow that with a 10% water change and a recharge of the CO2.
post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great project. Good luck! I'd like to be on the list too please
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Because of my extremely sad experience, I too am interested in your project. I went in with a friend, and ordered 17 of them from a vendor here in Fl. I will save you the horror of their bloated photos, as I lined them up, as they passed away shortly after arrival. The vendor never made good on my loss.It was a sad and expensive lesson.
I wish you the best with them.
post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are these hard to breed in captivity? The reason I ask is because you would think this would have been done already. Just curious. I hope you are successful though because I know I would buy some. Im new to oto cats but have 3 so far, and love them.
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Unfortunately, yes. With a little luck and a boat load of patience, I'm sure hoping we can do this.
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man... I'm cheering you on for sure. I'm not far from you in NC, so if you are successful, I think a road trip would be in order. I have 5 of these little guys in my tank from Corys R Us and I love them! They are busy little eaters and have decimated a large patch of algae I had on the glass on my 125g. I was going to scrape it but decided to leave it for their enjoyment. I'm glad I did as they have plowed through it like it was nothing. I have some manzanita floating in my tank now and they seem really interested in it too.

I hope everything works out for you. I'd be very interested to see if you can successfully breed them. Good luck! And more photos please!

J
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am a fan of zebra otos too but was not to lucky with them before.GL on your project !

BO - EHEIM PIMP # 378-

Aim High
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Water change done with minor gravel vac. That was done just to prepare the area as I plant so as to not stir up a bunch of stuff. I'm going a little bit different on this tank from the Vittatus due to the nature of the Cocama's. I'll do a water test Thursday (wont be home tomorrow) after this to get some readings to see where I'm at and if it hits the numbers I'm looking for.

Also in the process of swaping filters. This tank had been run on a ZooMed 501. While it worked well for the time, I'm looking to create a bit more of a centralized current. The outflow from the HOB should flow over the piece of driftwood creating a nice subtle current. I'll swap media from the Vittatus tank with a new pad and use it's established media to help get started on the new filter. I'll over filter for a while by leaving the ZooMed on for about a week.

Here's a current species list:

Fauna: (6) Otocinclus cocama - 4 males and 2 females, (5) Caridina cf. propinqua, (5) Caridina gracilirostris. The C. propinqua will be permanent residents and I'll be adding about (5-7) more. Being low order breeders, this will actually keep the numbers and activity level down in the tank. The C. gracilirostris will be moving to the Vittatus tank once I relocate the Tigers to their own tank. Other future additions will be (2) Pomacea bridgesii.

Flora: Bacopa caroliniana, Bacopa monnieri, Bacopa sp. 'Colorata', Cryptocoryne balansae, Cryptocoryne wendtii (bronze), Hygrophila polysperma. For a low lying plant, I originally was going to go with a few Dwarf Sags but I'm rethinking that. I may still look into though. I have Downoi and RI in the Vittatus tank. I know as foreground plants of that nature, the options are pretty limited. If I can master Lobelia cardinalis, I may even try that. I'm also still looking to acquire Littorella uniflora.

Substrate: Flourite

Lighting: This is also tricky as it is a shared light with another tank. 32w T8. I'm actually looking to scale this down to around 18w. It will still be a shared light so I'm looking to find a 36" fixture. I could go with an indepent fixture but I was trying to cut down the amount of equipment being plugged into one source. I hate cables. I may go CFL in the future with the new rack but we'll see where this takes us.

Filtration: Current: ZooMed 501 mini-canister. Planned: Standard HOB w/ sponge prefilter.

Decor: I'm actually going with a flat piece of field stone and manzanita driftwood. I will have the stone sticking straight up and try to position the DW to lean on top it. This will provide more surface area for grazing and extra hide spot. This may go away if I can build a moss wall but I'm looking to do that with Fissidens.

I think that just about sums this tank up in a nut shell. It will slowly piece itself together. All the stem plants were trimmed low so they can fill out as the environs dictate. I will also be using DIY CO2 on this tank. My choice of dry ferts to start will be a PMDD mix. Might be a bit sensitive to try and mess with EI at this point.

I'll try and get some pics posted when the smoke clears.

Last edited by james0816; 04-20-2011 at 01:43 PM.
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm no expert, but can I suggest that you add some sort of wood to your scape? My cocamas have been CRAZY about the manzanita I recently put in my tank. They really seem to love it. They were all over it while it was floating and even when I positioned it in the tank last night, they'd swim away angrily as I moved it and then come flying right back to it when I pulled my hand out. They looked like little bees scatterring when I disturbed their hive.

J
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thx. I do have a small manzanita piece in there at the moment. They do seem to like it. I have been flip flopping on keeping or removing it. But it will stay for the moment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode