Jahmic's 35 tall low-tech riparium - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You need more submerged plants… lol I might have a massive apon. Crispus that you can have if I cannot find a place for it in my 36 (it came in that huge plant package I won at the auction) the tuber is about the size of an apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
looking good. I can't wait to see the finished project.
I can't wait either, lol. This has definitely been a fun project...hoping things go smoothly. Maybe I'll have this thing stable enough in time to adopt one of your apistos if you decide to do so in a couple months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
You need more submerged plants… lol I might have a massive apon. Crispus that you can have if I cannot find a place for it in my 36 (it came in that huge plant package I won at the auction) the tuber is about the size of an apple
I know...it's looking pretty bare right now. But, all that hygro should have no problem filling in, and hopefully the stargrass does well too. I was even thinking about taking a few clippings of the H. zosterifolia and trying to create a carpet of it in one of the corners of the tank...just for fun. Oh, and I also have some more hygro, some pennywort, and a few more crypts on the way...I'm thinking that last bit will fill things in nicely. We'll see once the dust settles...literally, lol.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmic View Post
I can't wait either, lol. This has definitely been a fun project...hoping things go smoothly. Maybe I'll have this thing stable enough in time to adopt one of your apistos if you decide to do so in a couple months

I know...it's looking pretty bare right now. But, all that hygro should have no problem filling in, and hopefully the stargrass does well too. I was even thinking about taking a few clippings of the H. zosterifolia and trying to create a carpet of it in one of the corners of the tank...just for fun. Oh, and I also have some more hygro, some pennywort, and a few more crypts on the way...I'm thinking that last bit will fill things in nicely. We'll see once the dust settles...literally, lol.
I have heard of people doing a zosterfolia carpet. If you decide you want a apon. crispus let me know lol, this thing is HUGE!
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll let you know for sure...I'm thinking that thing is too tall for this tank, I definitely remember seeing it in that bag at the auction, haha.

What I may actually end up having to do is shamefully beg for a couple more clippings of stargrass once my tank is established. I'm sure the change in tank conditions + the cloudy water had something to do with it...but when I did my water change today I noticed that the majority of the leaves are melting

Hopefully the stems of stargrass are busy sending out roots and they just rebound...we'll see. All of the hygros are doing pretty well, maybe some minor melting on the leaves closest to the substrate. Crypts have started melting...sadly...but definitely expected. I'm confident they'll be fine once they adjust...kind of kicking myself for not leaving the largest crypt in my nano until this tank got established...but I was set on just getting the majority of the planting done in one shot, and was pretty antsy to get that out of the Edge and open up the scape a bit.

I placed an in-tank filter in there for now, until my canister shows up. I tried to just let the sediment settle, but after 2 days with no change I decided to see if I could remove some of it with the filter. I'd say it had a minimal effect...it's probably stirring up as much stuff off the bottom as it's removing. I did a big water change today...and it looks like I'll have to keep doing daily water changes until this water clears.

*fingers crossed*
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey jahmic your plants + accessories are on the way. I'll send a PM with details.
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey jahmic your plants + accessories are on the way. I'll send a PM with details.
Very exciting. Definitely have to thank you for the inspiration...you have some amazing riparium setups.
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmic View Post
I'll let you know for sure...I'm thinking that thing is too tall for this tank, I definitely remember seeing it in that bag at the auction, haha.

What I may actually end up having to do is shamefully beg for a couple more clippings of stargrass once my tank is established. I'm sure the change in tank conditions + the cloudy water had something to do with it...but when I did my water change today I noticed that the majority of the leaves are melting

Hopefully the stems of stargrass are busy sending out roots and they just rebound...we'll see. All of the hygros are doing pretty well, maybe some minor melting on the leaves closest to the substrate. Crypts have started melting...sadly...but definitely expected. I'm confident they'll be fine once they adjust...kind of kicking myself for not leaving the largest crypt in my nano until this tank got established...but I was set on just getting the majority of the planting done in one shot, and was pretty antsy to get that out of the Edge and open up the scape a bit.

I placed an in-tank filter in there for now, until my canister shows up. I tried to just let the sediment settle, but after 2 days with no change I decided to see if I could remove some of it with the filter. I'd say it had a minimal effect...it's probably stirring up as much stuff off the bottom as it's removing. I did a big water change today...and it looks like I'll have to keep doing daily water changes until this water clears.

*fingers crossed*
You can have more when you need it The stuff should melt a bit, then suddenly you might have tons of it lol. I have plenty in both tanks now, and would be more than willing to give you some more.
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Noah. I'll give things a chance to recover. Once the parameters are stable, the water is clear, and I have the lighting figured out...I'll be sure to give you a shout
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey I sent a note with your tracking #. I hope that you will see the box soon.

The leather fern looked really nice. I hope that it will travel well.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've definitely been busy the past few days...

Finally was able to get a decent filter hooked up to the tank. Went with an Eheim 2213 that's been hooked up since yesterday. My temporary "fix" - the Whisper in-tank filter did nothing for clearing up the water. The design basically had it stirring up more muck than it filtered as far as I could tell. The Eheim definitely took the cloudiness out of the tank that was caused by the substrate, now it's just tannins staining the water for the most part. I dropped a bag of purigen into the canister today as well; it will hopefully help clear the water up over the next few days, it's still pretty dirty.

Got some great looking plants from hydrophyte - some black mangroves and a leather fern. Also went to the local nursery and picked up a couple additional plants to fill the space. I'm thinking the Schefflera arboricola (aka parasol) is pretty much experimental....not sure how it'll do, but I thought it'd look good in the tank. The other plant I got at the nursery today was Rumex sanguineus (Bloody Dock). I really wanted an accent plant that would stand out among the emersed growth, and still blend well with the submerged scape. It's naturally a bog plant, and looks a whole lot like a cryptocoryne...so it had to come home with me The pics don't do the plant any justice, the colors are pretty impressive. I'm just hoping it holds up. One thing worth mentioning, the really bold red veins in the leaves will probably be much more subdued in the tank after some time; IME the plant really only colors up in the cooler months. It'll still have some red in there I'm sure, but not as much due to the temp...ah well.

Enough chatter...picture time:

I'll get a decent FTS once the water clears up...it's pretty difficult to get detail across the entire tank with the water being pretty dark still...and I'm too lazy to setup the DSLR just yet
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

More stuff worth mentioning:

Priming a canister filter when you have no idea what you're doing is a PITA, haha. It only took a few hrs of practicing with a couple buckets, but I finally got the technique down.

I'm noticing bubbles leaving the substrate here and there. No mounds of gas building up, so it looks like I didn't overdo the cap. As far as water quality goes:

Ammonia - 2.0
Nitrites - 0.0
Nitrates - 5.0 (not tested...but I dosed)

I decided to dose the tank a few days ago. The melt was getting out of hand with a few plants. I also put some amazon frogbit in there just to see how it'd do earlier this week. I've found that it responds quicker to changes than anything else in my other setup...and it did the job for this "test". After 2.5 days, I started noticing pinholes and yellowing in the leaves of the frogbit, so I dosed conservatively to see if I could keep the stems from melting away. The ammonia was a huge surprise, it was 0.5 on Tuesday, I dosed Wednesday since I was concerned about nutrient deficiencies...then yesterday the ammonia was suddenly up to 2.0. Looks like the MGO may be responsible since there is no fauna in the tank.

Today I took some bio-media from my other tank and dropped it into the canister filter. I also took the pre-filter sponge off that established tank and placed it in this one. Hopefully the introduction of bacteria starts to chew through the ammonia and cycle the tank. That was my initial plan...I was just kind of surprised to see ammonia that high so soon.

My confidence in the submersed plants has been fading...I definitely didn't notice anything this severe in my nano setup...but we'll see what happens. The crypts all melted as expected, along with the H. zosterfolia (also expected). The lower leaves of the hygrophila sp. 'tiger' definitely disappeared too though, which is when I got worried. I think the main culprit was extremely low light though, due to the cloudy water. Hopefully the purigen clears things up and things start to rebound here soon.

No algae blooms yet...just that layer of "slime" on the manzanita from soaking all week. At some point soon, I'll update the initial post with a plant list, etc.

As far as stock goes for fauna, it looks like I'm going to go with a species tank of Boraras brigittae once the water parameters are stable. Other than that, it'll probably be inhabited by a few nerite snails and amano shrimp for the "cleanup crew". I don't think I'll be doing a shrimp colony in this one...although I'm sure I'll be tempted.

Last edited by jahmic; 04-24-2011 at 03:09 AM.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

As much as I love the look of my walls...I finally had to admit it was distracting. Plus, I was tired of staring at those Eheim tubes...I mean they're stylish and all...but...yea.

The water started clearing up a bit, but it's still pretty cloudy. My ammonia levels are still up there, so I'm thinking it's just a bacteria bloom and things should calm down on their own in a few days. I went through the same thing in my other tank.

I may start dosing excel every other day...just until I get some fish in the tank. I did see some new growth at the nodes on a couple of the Hygrophila 'tiger' that had about melted away completely...so that's VERY promising.

As for the background...it's just frosted window film from home depot. 20 dollars and I have enough to do about 8 more tanks this size. Easy enough to put on considering I had about 3-4 inches to work with behind the tank. It would've been easier to do BEFORE starting the tank...but I thought I'd be able to do without one since I've never used backgrounds in the past. There are definitely air bubbles and a couple creases visible in the background...but I wasn't really too concerned with getting it on there perfectly. They do make this application chemical that actually works well...I just chose to save some money, and didn't want to be spraying that stuff around the open-top of the tank. If anybody is considering doing this...don't use water in place of the applicator spray...you will end up with more static and hundreds of tiny air bubbles everywhere. Tried that in the past with the windows on a shed and had to redo everything with the applicator spray. The nice thing about the spray is that it makes it easier to remove the film if/when you decide to do so...without the spray it'll still come off, but leave a noticeable amount of residue behind that you'll have to rub off.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Snails never get any photo ops...

post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's looking real good. This is actually a pretty roomy tank with some space for the plants to grow. I'll be interested to hear how that Schefflera does in there.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Subd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode