My Learning Curve - 75 Gallon tank -- pic heavy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Red face My Learning Curve - 75 Gallon tank -- pic heavy

I have been planning on doing this journal for 3 months. Today is the day.

I get long winded so you have been warned..

I have had tanks before in my life, but never planted. I thought you could just stick some plants in your tank and walla... they would grow. So with each plant and each problem I learn something everyday. Especially from everyone on this site.

Almost everything in this tank was a ROAK or used. Except the Eco-Complete and gravel cap and the rocks.

I do not have eye for Aquascaping so be nice, i am nervous about showing....but do let me know what does not look right. It still is very much a work in progress.

OK: No CO2, just excel and flourish
Standard 75 Gallon w/ canopy and stand- which i hate the bottom because it has only one opening in the back in the middle and everything has to fit through there to reach up the back.

Lighting: 48" Current Power Compact w/ moonlights & (2) 65W 6500/10000K Bulbs towards the back and 1 T8 32Watt Sunshine bulb for the front.

Filter: Two XP3's.. Only one is on currently. I had a HOB and a Magnum in some of these pics. But those have been removed.

Substrate: Miracle Gro only about 1/2"... 6 or 8 bags of Eco-Complete and capped with Black Gravel from the LFS. It was going to be just Eco but when I put everything in and then the Miracle Gro went into the water and I freaked out and ran to the LFS and grabbed the gravel. lol

Flora: I am not sure of all the names.. I have them written down somewhere. I will edit..
Corkscrew & Jungle Vals. i dont know the name but there are normal ones too.
Hydro Willow
Hydro C(K)ompact?
Sunset Hydro
Rotala Rotu something..
Christmas Moss
Crypt ?
Nana Petite
Regular Nana
Tiger Lotus
Water Lettuce

Fish: I am waiting on some Blue Rams which was the whole reason for this tank. My father breeds Flowerhorns and he currently has 6 pair of Rams and is trying to breed them.. I will have them..oh yes i will... All the fish were given to me except the Otos. Like i said my father is a fish nut. Now when he visits he brings something fish related... Yaaaa me !! All these fish were bred by him.

4- Black Swordtails - 2 females and 2 males
3- Orange Swordtails - 1 female and 2 males
3- Angels 2 females and 1 male Marble, Pearl and Black--- Marble and Black have spawned and are currently making plans to do it again.
6- Guppies 3 each
2- Oto's 1 male and 1 female
MTS - too many
does planaria count? I feed them too..

The driftwood I have is HUGE, but I like it.

Pic 1 -January 2011 --- Excuse the blurryness- cell pic..
I started this at the end of January- Fishless cycle.

Notice the round filter--- You all said get a filter pad that comes from a cycled tank.. where there it sits. too funny...

All these plants were ROAK... They all died.. well they melted and I thought that meant dead. Garbage can... now i know to wait..

Pic- February 15th 2011- First purchased plant package and was from this Swap. Awesome package and he gave me so many plants.

Pic- March 5th or 10thish- Now I have the wood stump and some fish..
added more Compact and two crypts. Lots of Algae had set in... Learned all about that quickly..

Pic- End of March 2011-

So far that's it. My Tiger Lotus is still just growing on the gravel... and the tall stems are stunted..

here are some of the fish:

Male Angel

His Sister

Black Swords

My prego Oto

something tore apart this plant:

Well that is it so far... I will update this with more pics as it grows in and as I learn more about different plants and fish and water and algae and geezz... so much fun...

Thanks for looking!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Planted Member

That pic of the Black Swords made me LOL by the look of their eyes! Looks like everything is growing well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

The Black Swords look like they have those google-eyes that kids toys have Its a nice start. I'll look forward to update pics.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good! Nice work!

Multiple planted tanks 1.75g to 55g.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They really do look like that too.... Took me a bit to get used to it too... lol.. Now they are one of my favs... Their fins are totally translucent. neat... I have never had Swordtails before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode