The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tbake's 178G Oceanic Ultimate (progress update SEP 01/2011)

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  zenche 
#1 · (Edited)
I am the proud owner of a new-to-me 178G Oceanic tank that I picked up yesterday from CL. The tank is ~ 60" x 24.5" x 29". I lot of real estate for sure. Thats a 20 cu ft refrigerator next to the unit for perspective.

The stand and hood need a light sanding and fresh coat of varnish, but otherwise it all looks to be in good shape. One 6" scratch on the inside of the tank on the front glass, but should be invisible when full.

So here is the plan - per the wife, I need to build 2 new built-in cabinets / bookcases that I have procrastinated over for 3 years (woodworking is another hobby!) BEFORE I can work on this tank. Talk about motivation!

This will be a medium / high light tank w/ CO2. I'd like to eventually minimize maintenance and plant trimming (as it stands, I'll need a stepladder to reach into the tank, and am 6'1").

I plan to do T5 lighting (will start a thread) and am planning on drilling this tank for sump-based filtration. I'm going to seek input on options - (1)back-drilling and using a glass-holes.com box (2) bottom drilling (assuming I can confirm it isn't tempered:drool:) and converting the back right-side to a "corner" box system. I like (2) as it would allow me to keep this tight to the back wall, but I can build some moulding to hide things from the side-view if I must go with (1).

Well, that's it for now. I need to start procuring some mega driftwood and hardscape elements, and find some great deals on plants, substrate and all the other bits.

-Tony

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm stuck in a van driving the family to MA, so what a better time than now to post a quick update!

Decided to refinish the stand and build a new canopy, and busy with work, so progress has been slow...

I have some pics, but apparently cannot upload from Tapatalk...

#6 ·
Wood Interior design Cabinetry Fixture Sleeve

Here's the pic. These are my 3 yo twin boys, and are 43" tall for sizing purposes...

In terms of overflow - note the black outline behind the tank? - that is an opening to the closet behind the tank to allow piping for a full beananimal setup and allow tank to be flush to the wall.

The canopy is mostly built and in my shop awaiting final assembly and finishing. The canopy will be ~16" tall and cover the opening.

Trying to decide if I should post the canopy built pics in this post or a new one in DIY?

Anyhow, lighting will be DIY LED, with the control center in the closet. Will be posting more photos after the weekend or maybe this weekend if I can get some time on the computer.

#10 ·
Ok, so I decided to keep everything here rather than putting into the DIY forum... This is not what they do on Reefcentral, but seams like a way to keep everything in one place.

So, anyhow, here are a couple pics showing the progress I have for now:

Tank Drilling - 1/2" glass but was faster than I thought. Maybe 7 mins per hole:

Stand Inside - stole the "painting the interior white" idea from numerous stands posted on reefcentral:

Here is a testfit of a portion of the canopy. The front portion will hinge up completely:

The next updates will be with a complete hood, then plumbing, LEDs etc.

-Tony

#11 ·
Very nice so far, but man is that going to be a pain in the a** to scape. Just leave the kids in there to help with the planting. Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

#12 ·
Yeah - I am a little concerned with that. After the break-in period, I'll likely get rid of stem plants and transition to slower-growing plants that don't need constant pruning. Planning to have a large stand of Cyprus helferi and crypt balansae etc.

Luckily I am 6'1" so with the bench you can see in that bottom pic, I can reach the substrate level in the entire tank. I also planned the canopy design to allow maximum access.

We'll see how it all works out!! My guess is I won't get water in it for another 5 weeks with all the tasks I have left to do.

#13 ·
My tank is 30 inches deep, I do everthing with tongs and I have a pair of tweezer/trimmer that I manage most of the plants with, it's not that bad. Being 6'1" really doesn't matter if your pit hair is dripping on the floor, I almost never stick my arms in unless it's during a water change, but I love big tanks.

These are cheap but have been my best friend for 8 years http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/22996/product.web get your self a pair and big tongs for rocks, wood, etc.

Have fun and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.