Journal: Glenn's 75 Gallon - "Why Not Goodness?" - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh crap, chanchito means little pig? Eek, I hope my wife never finds out! Time for a new pet name!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Aww, I never even got to see and guess. Cool fish. That's a sweet genus of fish, always wanted some. I have cichlid envy.
post #153 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Aww, I never even got to see and guess. Cool fish. That's a sweet genus of fish, always wanted some. I have cichlid envy.
You would have been bonkers yesterday at the Cichlid Auction. Me and my buddy were in heaven.

He picked up some sweet fish, Cryptoheros panamensis. I think there were six in the bag, but all juvies. Will take some time on them, but I am sure I will end up with some of those at some point.

I sold off my breeding pair of Cryptoheros myrnae. Got 30 bucks for them, so I was happy with that.

Sold off my 4 Cleithracara maronii, got $26 for them. (They are my favorites, but they just won't hang with the new setup).

Sold the Bentonia Signata's and basically took a bath on them. I think I got $20 total, so I lost half my money on that.

There were over 500 lots at the auction. Mostly africans, but there was some nice SA/CA stock. Some of the catfish were just ridiculous cool.

post #154 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I ♥ BBA!

I wonder if you would have bought anything if beer wasn't involved. Glenn, you should take a picture of these other fish you have. I love cichlids!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #155 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sweet. There's nothing like that around here, auction-wise.

I've always wanted some C. panamensis. It's endemic to the area I lived in Panama for a few years. I've even thought about going through the trouble of collecting some and importing them, perhaps on my next visit.
post #156 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I wonder if you would have bought anything if beer wasn't involved. Glenn, you should take a picture of these other fish you have. I love cichlids!
LOL! It certainly loosens up the wallet a bit. Like the power head that I bought for $9 that will sit in the box in my basement for 5 years... that was at the end of the auction when I was feeling no pain.

post #157 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

nice tank! I like it!

15G Planted Aquarium of Red Cherry Shrimps, Crystal Red, Black Shrimps & cute dwarf puffer. :p
50G Planted Aquarium of 6 Goldfishes, 2 Weather Loaches, 4 Silver Cories & 1 Pleco.
20G Planted Aquarium - Emerald Green , Tiger & Blue Pearl shrimp tank.
10G Office/Lab Planted Aquarium with Neons and Galaxy Rasboras
5G Hexagon Aquarium of baby Goldfishes.
post #158 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalnet View Post
nice tank! I like it!
Thanks!!!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

post #159 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Photo.

post #160 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Super clean and beautiful. Looks like you found a good balance with the driftwood too. When those crypts explode this is going to be great. Did you ever decide on a fish?
post #161 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

I think I have a better setup with the DW for sure. Just need to let it sit now and see how the crypts grow in around it. Already have good growth from most of the crypts and re-organized all the vals in the back. Still need a background.

Ironically, I have picked up a aponogeton boivinianus bulb for Drew (Coltonorr here) and I threw it in here for now. Big mistake, the thing is already huge in the back left corner. Should hit the water surface by Friday. LOL! Going to have to get that out ASAP.

I think I have at least one fish selected (besides the pleocos and corys in there already)

I picked 20 Orange Von Rio Tetra locally for a steal. They will be in QT for some time.

Still want more, but may just hold off for a bit.

post #162 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Von Rio's are a nice pick. They look good against the plants, but then what fish doesn't. I've kept them off and on in my tanks for years. Good looking tank also, btw.
post #163 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I ♥ BBA!

I like that choice of fish! But don't they go against your standard choices? What was it you called fish like that again? LOL. The tank looks much more balanced, I agree with the others.

post #164 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I like that choice of fish! But don't they go against your standard choices? What was it you called fish like that again? LOL. The tank looks much more balanced, I agree with the others.
Yes yes... I am now a "game show host". LOL!

Update... Sterbai laid eggs all over the tank last night. I am trying to get to them before the shrimp do! Not doing a good job of it.

I need an egg tumbler pronto.

post #165 of 278 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Since you are into DIY, you should check out that egg tumbler build I saw recently. Pretty awesome. Good news on the sterbai. I didn't realize shrimp would eat them. Good to know in the future!

And welcome to the game show hosting business. Family Feud was looking for a more charismatic host.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode