20L High-Tech Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Oh wow, you are very talented. I am sure your family and friends love getting these as gifts as they are quite excellent. I really like the one you made for your church friends. It's elegant and simply tasteful. I am looking forward to seeing your tank stand even more now.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stand is finished. Sorry, no pics this time. I'm going out with My wife and some friends so I need to get cleaned up. I stained it dark and put a few coats of shellac on it. The color is similar to the sofa table that is shown towards the bottom of the first page on this thread.

I drilled two holes in the back of the stand for the xp1's in-flow and out-flow tubing. I'm using the co2 reactor I built for my ten gallon. The Hydor doesn't match up to my tubing the way that I like, so I'll be going to Lowe's or HD to put together some fittings so I get a perfect connection. It's coming along nicely thus far. I have to say, building the stand that I did in two "half days" is awesome!

Oh, I also got my substrate in today!!! Lights are scheduled to arrive tomorrow! This is exciting!!!

Stay tuned....

Charlie

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
post #18 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Algae Grower

That sofa table is a beautiful piece, you definitely have some talent. I can't wait to see what the finished stand looks like!
post #19 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok. More pics of the stand build. The pics of it finished out really don't look like it does in person. Sorry, I only have this iPhone to work with!

Door assembled and waiting for wood glue to dry:

Stand minus door stained and waiting for door and shellac:

Door attached:

Stand completed, shellac and all. Check out the glossy finish:

Here are a couple of VERY poor shots of it in it's final spot. Just in case you were wondering, my wife was very unhappy. I am in the dog house for this. Did I mention that we're expecting a girl next month?!? So excited!!!

This is what you see as you enter the front door:

Ok, stand is out of the way. Now I can focus on the tank itself. I got a visit from UPS today:

This stuff has some nice size and color to it. It's aquariumplants.com's own substrate (black diamond). I think that it's going to work fine. I called customer support and was told to rinse it only once. I was also told that using laterite first layer would be pointless here. What do you guys think? I need your expert advice, so do not be shy. Here's what the stuff looks like:

Let's hear your thoughts people. I need it, and perhaps somebody else could benefit. Is this stuff good enough to not need laterite? Do I really only need to rinse it once?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

post #20 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Planted Member

Looks like SMS. Ive heard thats really good substrate though.

I really like the tank stand
post #21 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedCali View Post
Looks like SMS. Ive heard thats really good substrate though.

I really like the tank stand
I appreciate it! I guess we'll see how the substrate turns out. Water will be in this glass box tomorrow evening.

I'll be using petrified wood for the hardscape. I have no driftwood and don't plan on buying anything at this point. I'm thinking Dutch style on a small scale. That ought to keep me busy!

post #22 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stand had to move. Wife's orders!!

Here's some pics of the mechanics of this thing. Not completed, obviously:

I Got a little prize from UPS today!!!

I got the stand moved, tank painted, tank placed, plumbing routed, plugs plugged, hose clamps clamped, substrate rinsed and put in the tank, and lights up and running. Filling with water later tonight. Bible study first!

More pics tonight!

Charlie

ps - Here's my helper (Sadie):

post #23 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That stand came out nice. I like the big door especially. I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Your helper looks a little lazy to me.

40b - three years old at this point

My Picotope- retired

The 50 Gallon Experiment- retired
post #24 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water's in and the filter is running like a champ! I had a little leak just after my co2 reactor, but adjusting the hose clamp fixed that. There's a little air in the system (as you'll see in the pictures below). I'll bet that it works its way out overnight. I had to flip my Hydor around so that the water flow was correct. Everything seems to be coming along nicely.... Almost too easy!

You may not have noticed but I painted the filter pipes with black krylon fusion. I also painted the back glass on the tank flat black. I think that doing this makes a BIG difference!

I put filter media in along with activated carbon. I'll be taking time to harvest some nitrifying bacteria laden filter media from my established cichlid tank. I've got plants on the way this week, so I'm sure that I'll have the water chemistry handled by next weekend!

Here are some shot of the tank. Tell me what you think of the hardscape.
FTS

Left

Right

Left side view

Close up of substrate

Here's some inspiration for this project

That's it for tonight. Thanks for looking!

Charlie

post #25 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I ♥ BBA!

All I can say is wow. If you are half as good at planted tanks as you are with carpentry this will be spectacular. No need for laterite with that substrate.

post #26 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Algae Grower

3 Cheers! What a talent! Congrats on a great looking project. Well done.

My only comment is - if Rena tube where you have your inline heater is still looping down lower than the canister as it is in the pic, I suggest you rig something with those talented hands to hold it upright with no loops or shorten the whole thing so that it's not so bent. Speaking from experience, those lines will eventually fold over, kink, and pinch off the flow if they are looped like that.
post #27 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice...
BTW I love Brindle..

Last edited by JasonG75; 08-23-2011 at 05:56 PM.
post #28 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Sara! I hope that I don't let anybody down here. My talent for construction is driven by the fact that my dad is the founder and CEO of an incorporated construction company. I've been around carpentry and general construction my whole life. Trim carpentry is something that I admire because you're given the chance to build a work of art each time you flip the switch on that router. Working with the two hands that God has given me is second to none. What a way to relax, IMO.

Granny, I will have to watch that line carefully. I hung the Hydor after flipping it around last night, so I'm confident that no weight issues will lead to pinched off tubing.

As you can tell from the previous pics, the water was a bit cloudy. The substrate from aquariumplants.com seems to be pretty good stuff. The water is much clearer this morning. I'm liking the rock layout so far. I'm trying to picture how I'm going to plant this tank. I've got several plants on the way. I can't remember all the plants I'm getting, but I do know that I'm getting blyxa, s. repens, HM, fissidens, elatine triandra, and some rotalas.

Obviously, I'll be using the e. triandra and s. repens in the foreground. I'm thinking that the blyxa will look nice on the left side. I'll really just have to wait for plants to arrive before I can make any decisions. Hurry up USPS!!

FTS....cleared up a bit:

FTS from my viewpoint:

Left side. I'm thinking that blyxa would look good taking up residence from the front corner and wrap around the backside behind the rock. Let me know what you think...

Right side. I see the HM in the front corner here. Foreground plants stretch across the front. I love the Dutch look, so I'm planning to have stems taking up most of the background. I need a transition plant to go between the foreground and the taller stems. Maybe the HM could serve this purpose. Surely somebody here knows of some good mid-ground plants that I could use here. Looking for something that stays around 2-4" tall.

Thanks for reading!

Charlie

post #29 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
I ♥ BBA!

My brother is a talented woodworker and I can appreciate how much work you've put in those pieces. I really want to hide the canopy I've been working on now that I've seen your handy work. I am looking forward to the dutch scape. Ranalisma rostrata might be a good mid ground. I can get some better pictures if you are interested.

post #30 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think the greatest thing about this whole setup is that you can EASILY upgrade to a 29G tank and only have to buy the glass.

Great looking stand/setup!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode