New 180 Gallon Planted Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Canopy or No Canopy
Yes with the Canopy looks best (Pg 1) 14 73.68%
No better without (Pg 5) 5 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks!! The floors were a ton of work but totally worth it! So happy they're done and now back to the tank....It's slow going getting it set up but the extra work will be worth it when it's done. Any one know where I can get some Seiryu Stone for a reasonable price or a similar stone that isn't too pricey?

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal
"That fish tank's so big it makes our TV look small."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Texas Holey Rock is probably the most abundant stone you can easily find that has really interesting texture like Seiryu. There are other options too but theyre escaping me right now...
post #33 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Planted Member

Bump for Updates. I know you didn't leave it alone ALL weekend.

55 Gallon 30G Hex Front Journal Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder
post #34 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank Update

As requested an update.

Over the past few weeks we've added:

shelves for storage
wired up electrical outlets (yes we have plenty!)
added light/light switch

The most important and time consuming upgrade to the tank is plumbing for a semi auto water change. No way were we going run a tube to fill/drain from the sink every time. The plumbing hooks up both hot and cold with knobs to adjust temperature and a pipe coming down that I can test the water temperature before sending it to the tank. We still need to hook up the plumbing to the xp3 input to fill and output to drain. The water will drain to a water reservor (still need to buy) outside so we can use the water to water our plants. Gotta put all those fertilizers to good use!!!

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

Last edited by TankZen; 06-21-2011 at 01:06 PM.
post #35 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Planted Member

Holy cow that's intense. Look at all those bags of fert . I'm really amazed at how you seem to be designing the stand with outlets, drains, etc. How much time did you and your husband put into the design before you started building it?
Did you have to run new plumbing to that area of the house for the hot and cold water lines? How are you treating the water that's going in?

I saw an interesting talk a few weeks ago by the guy who does all the aquarium upkeep at the Museum of Natural Science in downtown Raleigh. He had pictures of everything in the back room on how they filled, filtered, and maintained it. Pretty cool stuff.

55 Gallon 30G Hex Front Journal Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder
post #36 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Planted Member

I want an auto water changer. come do mine. haha

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
post #37 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
How much time did you and your husband put into the design before you started building it?
lol....that is too funny because he was really agonizing over the design. He wanted it all figured out before he started... he was staring at the tank for hours. Especially the plumbing he wanted it to be easily assessable yet out of the way. Finally he kept asking my opinion and I said you just gotta start... then it all came together. But it was really funny at the time.

The plumbing was run up through the floor from the crawl space.
Quote:
How are you treating the water that's going in?
That was another thing we really debated. We have Cloramine treated water which requires two levels of filtration. We were going to buy 2-stage carbon filters to run the water through before it got to the tank. However, after calling the filter guys they told me Chloramine breaks down to a by product of ammonia so even with the filtration system we may need to add prime to the water. Many people on PT had already told me that they just added prime to their water after it goes into the tank instead of using filters so I figured there was no scene in adding the filters if I'd potentially have to add prime anyway.

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #38 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

you should talk to this guy who spoke at the last meeting. If i can dig up his name, I will. Other than that I'm going to PM you a guy to email about this. He's legit and did a whole program on treating water.

post #39 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your setup in insane!! I'll happily donate fish & plants to you just to watch them thrive!

J
post #40 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks J ! I am excited to get it up and running. Iím trying to figure out my co2 set up right now so I will be interested to see how you have yours set up in the 125 and get your advice. See ya tonight!

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #41 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

more pictures please!!!!

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
post #42 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankZen View Post
Thanks J ! I am excited to get it up and running. Iím trying to figure out my co2 set up right now so I will be interested to see how you have yours set up in the 125 and get your advice. See ya tonight!
Oh crap! Does that mean I have to let you look under my tank?!?!

J
post #43 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Great thread! Any updates?
Could you elaborate a bit more on the plumbing... ie where in the picture does the water come in?

You did a great job with the floor and the wiring.
post #44 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update: So we filled her up...a few surprises!

So after some summer vacations its about time to get back to the tank!

This past weekend we started installing our Cerges' Reactor.
A few weekends back we meet up and saw a few local planted tankers tanks with pressurized co2. Well we decided we HAVE to go pressurized Co2 on this tank. This will be a first for me. I'm excited! Picked up a new 2-stage Airgas 3000 PSI for a sick deal on Ebay. Got the Burkert solenoid and JBJ bubble counter... still need to pick up Ideal needle valve and 10lb tank. Then figure out how to get everything together!!

This weekend we also got both inline heaters (just realized they are suppose to be installed vertical oppsss) and both xp3 filters hooked up. So we decided to do a test run and fill up the tank....plumbing worked great! However, one of the XP3 spewed water everywhere! After some contiplating we dicided we should upgrade filtration. We know two xp3 is just not enought any way. So we dicided to get what some planted tankers have called the "BEAST" the Eheim 2262. Can't wait to get this thing hooked up! 900GPH wow! Know I have to buy 18L of media to fill it.

Now some more pics...
Playing around with hardscape...not done yet

Starting to install Cerges' Reactor and inline heaters

Quote:
Could you elaborate a bit more on the plumbing... ie where in the picture does the water come in?
Alright sorry this took so long to get this up. Some have asked more info on plumbing...so here is a diagram. The hot and cold are plumbed behind the wood (in the pic) into the tubes "hot" "cold" hitting a 90 and then run across the wood where we mounted everything so it was easy to access. The hot and cold have valves to adjust the temperature. In the picture the tube that is coming straight down is the tube labeled "water tap" in the diagram. We put that in there so we would have a way to test the water temperature before sending it into the tank. The canister is turned on when we want to drain the tank. It pumps the water into the xp3 through the plumbing and to the drain outside. When filling the tank we turn off the filter and run the water through the tubing and up to the spray bar.

Now the hard part waiting for our filter, media, and the rest of the co2 parts.

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #45 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you going to one cannister or two? Congrats on going with the 'Beast' they are great filters that hold a ton of media. As for the heaters being horizontal just lower the intake side of it an inch or so that way you don't have to worry about air getting trapped in it and ruining the heater.

If your going with 2 cannisters I would recommend dual outputs on the new CO2 regulator as it is much easier to make sure you get even CO2 distribution in the tank. If you are jsut going to use one filter I would recommend a couple of power heads to make sure you get good even flow through the tank.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

Tags
180 gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode