New 180 Gallon Planted Tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Canopy or No Canopy
Yes with the Canopy looks best (Pg 1) 14 73.68%
No better without (Pg 5) 5 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

In regards to my semi automatic water change setup.... Is a carbon filter all I need to make safe water changes for the tank... I see these 2, 3 and 4 phase housings with much more filtering coverage .... any advice??

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal
"That fish tank's so big it makes our TV look small."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Eco Complete arrived this weekend.

Tom Barr driftwood. The tank is taking shape.
Plan to order another driftwood package from Manzanita Burlworks for the other side of the tank this week.

close up....

Additional Xp3, inline heater, and Eheim media are on the way.
My husband has started the plumbing... get some pics up once it's further along.

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

Nice! I just set up my 150 upgrade from my 55 as well can't wait to see it!
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

I used a Watts temperature control valve to regulate the water temp coming into my tank. Also, I've never had a problem with draining my tank, and I usually do a 80% wc, and adding the SAFE when the water level is low and then filling up with water. Works for me and ive been doin it for years.
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

rickztahone,

Thanks for the input you are not the only one to suggest just adding safe instead of going the filter route. We've decided to switch up the plan...instead of filters we'll just add safe.

We found out our water has Chloramine. After talking to the filter guys.... we found out to break down Chloramine we would need two stages of carbon filters and when Chloramine breaks down there is a by product of ammonia. So it's possible we would have needed to add safe regardless to remove the ammonia. It we'd have to add safe any way what's the point spending $100 on filter housing and carbon?

BTW your DISCUS are amazing!!! Wow. I want discus in this tank once it is totally settled. It will be my first time owning them. I maybe be PMing you for advice when the time comes.

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This weekend was interesting... had an ICH out break in my 55g. My fault don't have a QT tank and added some new Rummy nose directly to the tank. Treated with Aquari-sol for 5 days. Ich was still spreading and my corry cat started dieing...swimming upside down due to the meds. Luckily I saw it and got him out right away and into a tupperware!

Figured it's about time I get a sick/quarantine tank. There is no way I want to deal with treating a 180G so I will need one any way. Picked up a 20 gallon and luckily the Corry cat is in the new tank and doing great .I changed plans on my 55. Added carbon to get rid of meds because I don't want to loss any more fish. Got my temp to 84 and added 1/2 t salt per gallon. Fish are already looking better....hope to be rid of ich this week!!

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Subscribed! Good luck. Excited about this big tank!

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...20-gallon.html

Old Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...en-down-4.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Yikes! Best of luck with the ich, I HATE that stuff!

And glad you got a QT tank, even if it was too late to catch this quite in time. I think it will save you some heartache (and $$) in the future.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Planted Member

Looking good! Glad to hear you seem to have ich under control in the 55. Sounds like you have given ALOT of thought this tank! Have you decided about a background? Paint? Vinyl? Other? Just curious...

155 gallon (low tech) planted (not at the moment, after removing the Eco-Complete) Discus aquarium with 3D AquaTerra background, started in July 2010. EcoComplete substrate is now gone, replaced with sand, Rena XP3 and XP4 for filtration, Catalina 35" T5HO retrofit - 2x39 watt (two units) mounted in overhead canopy. Link to my journal for the 155.
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey Herbicidal,

For the background we are thinking about spray painting poster board white with a mix of blue/gray.... not quite sure yet. But I think we are going to experiment on our backing for our 55G which is currently back. I lovvvvve the look of the tanks without any background but it is too hard to hide everything and make it look good. After browsing AGA contest tanks for ideas I've seen a few with white/blue background that are cool. So I think we'll try that.

Yes finally Ich is disappearing in my 55G... Plants took a beating due to high temp and salt sadly.

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

Cool, then if you don't like the way it looks, remove the poster board and spray another one! That works!

155 gallon (low tech) planted (not at the moment, after removing the Eco-Complete) Discus aquarium with 3D AquaTerra background, started in July 2010. EcoComplete substrate is now gone, replaced with sand, Rena XP3 and XP4 for filtration, Catalina 35" T5HO retrofit - 2x39 watt (two units) mounted in overhead canopy. Link to my journal for the 155.
post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My last tank the LFS people stretched a piece of black vinyl over the back with soapy water as an adhesive. I think they also had blue. Quick and easy way to do a background, and lasts better than paint directly on the glass.
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update... Finally back to the tank!

Well it has been a long time and I need to fill everyone in on the tank progress.

It's still empty....

One thing lead to another and we thought once this tank is up it isn't coming down and the horrible green carpet needs to go before we set it up.

We are do it our-selfers so we did our first hardwood floor install. This is the before:

[/IMG]

We did the dinning room also. We picked a 5in solid Hickory.

As with most home projects it snowballs and we ended up installing bead-board, new baseboards, chair rail and door trim. Also we found a surprise leaking door so we installed a new sliding door.

Here are the after pics. We're not totally done yet still need to redue the mantel and add plasma over the top.

So that took up all of our time. Finally done and now back to the tank. The plumbing is almost done with new shelfs, electrical outlets, and lights installed in the cabinet... still need to hook up inline heaters and filters. Once we have that complete I'll get a pic up.

55 Gallon
180G Tank Journal

post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Nice job on your house. What a lot of work. The tank will be a piece of cake after all that!

Just keeping on keeping on....

95g Rimless

post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Gorgeous floors and tank. I'm replacing the floors in two rooms next weekend. A little hesitant to do it myself but Im good with woodworking and anything else handy. Just never laid a floor. Hoping it goes easy...

Tags
180 gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode