120 gallon ADA "like" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

120 gallon ADA "like"

I love the aesthetics of ADA's rimless tank, they are also quite practical for the gardener. I liked the look of the stand as well. I bought a smaller 60p and really liked the over all display, I am not overly fond of the lily pipes and am surprised I have not broken them yet(2 so far).

For the 120 Gal, I wanted a shallower tank than the 24" depth. I chose 18" as a nice middle ground. The front to back depth was increased to 30". the seam and rimless bevel was done by a guy in LA, Charlie and the fish tank factory, Lemar also does a similar custom job upon request and they sell via LFS's if folks are interested ,Charlie will sell direct, but you need to pick it up.

His:
http://www.fishtankfactory.com/

Nice guy and took care of the needs.
2nd tank I've bought from him.

This one is the nicest.
The stand I got through fellow poster "janz", he's in the SCAPE club and his brother makes really well made stands. Really well made.

The wood, well, you likely know me well enough to know I collect and hunt for wood as I have for many years.

I plan on doing hair grass belem mostly, or all C parva or a mix. The "Tree" will be exactly that. I will use Anubias much like a bonsai. This tree is well suited for this goal. the slope will have the tree on a hill of grass, with nice smaller Anubias petite as leaves. the tree will be partially out of the water with the leaves extending above the water line.
The tree will actually be on the other side and the over flow pre filter will hang on the side of the tank, not the rear.This makes access easier and the flow better IME.

There will be a Vortech pump on the same side of the pre filter as well. A sealed sump below.

I am thinking and leaning towards a West African theme fish wise.
Something that does not jump out. I'd wanted a pleco "heaven", the tank would be good for that, but the wood hath spoken.
The other 60 cube will now be modified and converted for that goal.
that's another step towards the next phase, redoing the 180 Gal will be the last step. So 3 tanks to go till I have pretty much all my tanks like this and the 60p.

The next 60 cubes will be a different size: 36Lx24DX18"H, 67 Gal, but alot nicer dimension to work with.

Cubes are fun, but the 24x24' dimension is getting old, time for something different and time to get rid of the Glasscages tanks and stands. Selling them pays for an ADA like stand etc.

Nice thing is, jnaz and Charlie both live close by, so I can get all the stuff on one trip.

I'd like to make a Cree LED lighting system with angled lighting and variable colors, with a dimmer....but I can wait a bit

I have the wide spread 4x 54 W in the Tek hood

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice so far Tom. The tek will look very clean with that set-up. looking forward to this one getting set-up. The stand is nice as well too bad there isn't a guy in Texas who does em...by the way l got the manzanita today and very happy thanks again.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Oh wow. That's sexy.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

OMG that tank is absolutely gorgeous. After another year of scaping and plant growing practice Im aiming for a similar setup. And another year of saving... Still can't find a custom builder on the east coast though.

What substrate are you going to use?
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wow that's going to be pretty sweet. Gotta make my way up there to check it out in person
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Algae Grower

where do people get wood like that?
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Tom, the tank looks like it'll be amazing. Are you going to tie the anubias on the back side of the DW? That might give a really interesting effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaie View Post
where do people get wood like that?
From Tom.

-Andrew
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 AM
ShrimpRetirement

post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Algae Grower

That's an awesome sized tank, and i'm rather jealous of all the amazing wood you have to use!
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks to be like another amazing setup! Subscribed.

Tom, did you have the TEK light already or did you purchase? Just curious because I was looking around at lights and the Catalina lights are half the cost of TEK lights and Fishneedit lights are half the cost of Catalina. Just wanted your take on why you chose TEK.

Current Tank Journals: 125 Dream~~~~
Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like a quality project to follow.
mD
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Tom, did you have the TEK light already or did you purchase? Just curious because I was looking around at lights and the Catalina lights are half the cost of TEK lights and Fishneedit lights are half the cost of Catalina. Just wanted your take on why you chose TEK.
I know you asked Tom but I'll take a stab since I just finished measuring PAR readings on my TEK. If you've seen all 3 fixtures in real life, you'd know the difference right away. TEK has super nice parabolic reflectors that are nicely spaced away from each bulb. The other 2 fixtures are cheaper for a reason. They don't have the super nice reflectors and the bulbs are cramped into the reflectors giving very little room for the light to actually reflect efficiently. The difference in the reflectors/ballast quality/& bulb choice makes or break the fixture. I wouldn't skimp on lighting from the get go since you'll only look to upgrade sooner than you know it down the line when going with a cheap fixture. The cheaper fixtures will still grow plants just fine, but not nearly as efficient as a TEK.

Then again LEDs have been making big waves as of late. I've been seeing some promising results from them but they're still a little bit on the pricier side of the stream.
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

very nice, charlie is a nice guy to work with. I've ordered alot of equipment from him.
i love the demensions.
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Loligo
Gorgeous! I love that you chose an 18" depth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode