40B-Meadow of Rasboras - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Fear the Swamp!

Very nice. I'm sure the gouramies enjoy the floating plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good looking tank, I agree about the "mellowness"
Ever have any problems with biofilm on the surface? If I dont have my surface moving all the time I get biofilm pretty fast. I love the look of floaters but in my tank they dont work.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like your tank, and Harlequin Rasboras are one of my favorite fish. I was on the fence for so long between those and Cardinals... your tank makes me think I made the wrong decision. Keep the pics coming so I can get my fix.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i like the darkness

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults! www.NORML.org
40g Bedside Breeder
SunSun Pimp #39
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the comments.

There isn't any biofilm at the surface, but the spray bars do produce a slight ripple. I think the two 2213s produce the perfect amount of flow. There isn't a torrent, but the water isn't stagnant either.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Addded a nymphaea stellata about a week and a half ago. I thought the tank could use a bit more red. At this point I think I'll leave the tank alone for a while, and see what happens. Unless I find some dwarf chain loaches to replace the corydoras, there's no plans to add anymore fish.

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

BBA, I don't like you!

The cluster of java fern in the left rear corner of the tank is starting to get a few batches of bba. I also see a small amount forming on the spray bar in the same corner. The flow in this tank pushes all the frogbit to the other end of the tank, and the java is closer to the light than most other plants. So there's plenty of light in that corner. I've adjusted the spray bar so it won't push all the frogbit away. I've also picked off all the bba I see. The next time I do a water change I'll douse the spray bar in excel.

There's plenty of Co2 in the tank, so it must be a combination of too much light and a slow growing plant. If things don't get better in the next few weeks I'll shorten the photoperiod a bit.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Your hasboras are schooling nicely. Mine just sit there as a group and don't swim as much! tank looks really natural and jungley!
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome tank! To me your aquascape is the best of the recent developments in the hobby (carpet plants, small fish) and extremely old aspects of the hobby (plants growing naturally like your pennywort).

I've been reading old fish books and magazines (mostly pre-ww2, but some of it goes back to pre-ww1 and even the late 19th century) and generally they had some nice aquariums back then, despite the lack of electricity to run them - however, they were much more like miniature ponds than what we would think of as a planted tank - and that's what the floating pennywort reminds me of.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the comments fauxjargon. this is the first tank where i did some planning on the aquascape. most of the time i just throw stuff in wherever, and let them grow as they please. the tank has become a bit unkempt as it's been a while since trimmed. i also added more female gourami last week, and within a few hours, one had paired and spawned with the male.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Algae Grower

Nice tank.
may i know the temperature of your tank and how many time you have water change in a week or month and how much it is?

thanks
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

the water is 78 degrees, and i change around 40% every week or week and a half. just did a water change today, but no trimming. it's really becoming a jungle in there.

here's some half decent pictures of the male gourami and corydoras. over the past week i lost a rasbora and a female gourami. the male is quite aggressive, but things seem to be settling down now. i have a 20 long ready for the other two females. just in case.

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very pretty, great design
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM

It's so beautiful and well designed
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This tank is currently recovering from two months of neglect. I got distracted by my other hobbies and didn't really do any trimming, only water changes. So the Lilaeopsis mauritiana started dying back. I'm thinking about removing all the frogbit and most of the pennywort to get more light in the tank.

The rasboras are constantly flaring at each other. They seem to act the most natural of all the fish I own. The angels, tetra, killies, etc. in my other tanks just swim to the front and beg for food when they see me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode