Brackish Riparium. - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Mangrove trees are pretty easy to grow in riparium culture. All they need is moderate-bright light and good root fertilization. They grow slow and steady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I searched different websites about red platy fish, and some claim they are brackish fish and other said they are not, anyone kept them in brackish water? are they really brackish fish?
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update:
The Bacopa plant didn't make it, everything else is fine. added molly and red platy fish, they are doing great and breeding.

Last edited by shrimpo; 11-01-2015 at 07:04 PM.
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And the FTS:

post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice change. I'll bet you're way more pleased with it now than before. I felt liberated when I finally offed my last bit of liverock & put the salt in storage.

Great job
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey nice going! So you have added the salt already?

I suppose that doesn't surprise me that the B. monnieri didn't make it so well. It looks like now you have the leather fern, black mangrove and red mangrove in there. Are there any other species?
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyhermit View Post
Very nice change. I'll bet you're way more pleased with it now than before. I felt liberated when I finally offed my last bit of liverock & put the salt in storage.

Great job
Thanks.
You are right although I just started a nano reef. you may want to get that salt out of storage and make one like this:

post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey nice going! So you have added the salt already?

I suppose that doesn't surprise me that the B. monnieri didn't make it so well. It looks like now you have the leather fern, black mangrove and red mangrove in there. Are there any other species?
hey Devin, yes I used reef salt mix, and beside the above plants there is also white mangrove but it is slowly growing compared to red and black mangrove.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I am glad to see the leather fern growing well in the brackish water. While looking on the internets I ran into conflicting evidence on whether or not they really grow in brackish conditions.

I was working on my mangrove setup just liast night. I hope to post pictures soon.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I am glad to see the leather fern growing well in the brackish water. While looking on the internets I ran into conflicting evidence on whether or not they really grow in brackish conditions.

I was working on my mangrove setup just liast night. I hope to post pictures soon.
In my case the new leaves of that plant are much larger than the old one when i first had it. and it is growing fast, could be the brackish condition or lighting.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick update:
my wife almost stepped on one of the redleg crabs, somehow the crab managed to get out of the tank and keeps walking in the living room, I covered the top with clear sheet and humidity went up, since then the mangroves took off in full speed, and the red mangrove roots started to get larger and heading toward the water.

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's very interesting your leather fern is still growing happy in the brackish water. What is the salinity now? It looks like your Java moss is doing well too.

It looks like those black mangroves grew a lot too.

I really want to do a brackish setup all-enclosed like yours so that I can include mudskippers and/or archers. It would be cool to include a misting system too for automatic rinsing of salt from the leaves. I think that a 110 tall would be a good shape for that.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
That's very interesting your leather fern is still growing happy in the brackish water. What is the salinity now? It looks like your Java moss is doing well too.

It looks like those black mangroves grew a lot too.

I really want to do a brackish setup all-enclosed like yours so that I can include mudskippers and/or archers. It would be cool to include a misting system too for automatic rinsing of salt from the leaves. I think that a 110 tall would be a good shape for that.
the salinity is about 1.006 right now but I try not to keep it stable.
after puting the cover on the tank I don't have any more issues with salt on the leaves, the condensation took care of that.
I think the taller the tank the better for mangroves and archer fish, hope to see your set up soon.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Man did that grow in! Nice job!

I've had the same thing happen with a hermit crab of mine: Only when it escaped, I lost it for about a week. It was still alive and happy when I found it. Amazingly.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Are these plants still growing? Do you have any new updates?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode