post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfimrn1 View Post
Love the way it came out! Good Job!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Would also love to grab some discus from a local breeder once he gets his littleuns raised up big enough...

The tank does look good though!
Hey thanks!

When you get them post some pics. Hope you get them soon and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyn1 View Post
looks awesome.....digging Dwarf Hairgrass
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think they'll be a while until I get them. I'm working y way up to more expensive fish...

Are you going to add anymore different red plants to balance out the green?
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I think they'll be a while until I get them. I'm working y way up to more expensive fish...

Are you going to add anymore different red plants to balance out the green?

To tell you the truth this tank is heading for a mojor makeover.

I just havent had the time to post all the pics I have to show the removal of some plants and stuff getting moved around.

I always wanted to try the high light setup ever since I had a a bunch of 10 gallon planted tanks. Now that I got it out of my system im going to go towards the low-high to medium light setup.

What had happened was since I got the discus I have raised the temp of the tank from 78 F to around 84-86 F and the temp is really starting to take a toll on my DHG, etc..

My new plan is to get a nice piece of Manzanita driftwood and stock the tank with swords, ferns, crypts, ect..

I will be taking pictures of everything along the way and will update the journal.

Thanks!
post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lemme know when you wanna get rid of the DHG, if you are. I might take some off your hands :P

If I ever have Discus, they'll have to be happy with 80 degree water. I've known many people to keep them in it, they just had to keep parameters straight.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

looks amazing. i've got a 55 w/ that stand and light as well and i am dying to get it started this weekend!

how do you like the stand? i purchased my stuff second hand and the stand is a piece of crap. been waiting to get a new stand (this weekend) before setting my tank up
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Lemme know when you wanna get rid of the DHG, if you are. I might take some off your hands :P

If I ever have Discus, they'll have to be happy with 80 degree water. I've known many people to keep them in it, they just had to keep parameters straight.
If the DHG is still in good condition when its time to tear it up you will be the first to know

80 degree water is possible. But like they say everything else has to be good and stable. Prob be best to go that route if you do have lower temp plants and not make the mistake I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatw View Post
looks amazing. i've got a 55 w/ that stand and light as well and i am dying to get it started this weekend!

how do you like the stand? i purchased my stuff second hand and the stand is a piece of crap. been waiting to get a new stand (this weekend) before setting my tank up
Glad to hear your almost about to get everything setup!

As for the stand Ive had it for a long time (5 + years) and never had an issue with it. It is solid and has a great basic look to it. The thing I dont like is I wish it was taller, and had more room in the cabinet area.

Of course compared to other more expensive, high quality stands you cant really compare it. But for the money at the time when I baught it, it was a good deal.

The only reason I prob didnt get another stand is b/c I would have prob upgraded and baught a 75-90gal tank and stand. Not that its a bad thing but more $$.

Thanks!
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yeah. the stand itself doesn't look bad. i suppose the person i bought it from didn't have it together correctly b/c the tank teeter totters on the center brace and i do not at all trust it b/c of that.

and yeah, it is a very very low stand
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Cool deal, when are you tearing the tank down?
I want to say in the upcomming weeks.

Im actaully just going to take out the plants, leave a piece of driftwood in there until I get the new one so the discus have something to look at. The AquaSoil is staying but might take the 1 inch of powder type off the top. Also might slope the AS as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatw View Post
yeah. the stand itself doesn't look bad. i suppose the person i bought it from didn't have it together correctly b/c the tank teeter totters on the center brace and i do not at all trust it b/c of that.

and yeah, it is a very very low stand
I think mine did that a little bit but not that much to worry about. I have it on carpet too so it pretty much leveled itself out.
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok time for a big update!

Unfortunatly the DHG did not survive the high temps I also moved most of the plants that were not affected by algae outbreak into another tank. What is left now is the AS Amazonia II and the discus.

A few weeks ago I ordered driftwood from Tom Barr and am very happy with it Below is how I think I am going to arrange it. It is actually 4-5 peices.

Right now the driftwood is soaking in the bathtube getting water logged.

I am going to replace the AS Amazonia II with Amazonia I. After a few months I realized the Amazonia II would break down and my cory cats would make my water column full of debris. Also going to use Miracle Gro Organic soil as a bottom layer and AS as a cap. Will prob do a 1.5" of soil and 1.5" of AS.

Will be receiving plants this Thursday. Will be getting the following:

Amazon sword
Crypt Wendtti red and green
Java fern
Java moss
Vals jungle
Dwarf sag
Red flame sword
Anubias nana

EDIT: Forgot to add. I will be adding an additional filter, an Eheim Pro 3 2071

More pics to follow!

Thanks for viewing
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Why use topsoil and aquasoil. If your redoing it completely I'd put something like Pool filter sand over the soil/AS. I think it would make it look better with the fish and plants, more natural look..
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Smitty83
Love that driftwood. I can never find any that look like that in my budget.

post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Why use topsoil and aquasoil. If your redoing it completely I'd put something like Pool filter sand over the soil/AS. I think it would make it look better with the fish and plants, more natural look..
Actually was thinking about using sand but I think the darker substrate looks more natural IMO. If I wasn't going to have plants and just dim lighting and driftwood (like Matt - 100gal Wild Discus Bio-type) then I would def use sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty83 View Post
Love that driftwood. I can never find any that look like that in my budget.
Driftwood really wasn't that expensive. Take a look at Tom Barr thread. He has great pieces and are not that expensive. I actually messaged him for a piece that would fit my tank.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...w-updates.html
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok after hours of browsing forums and the web in general I have decided to go with pool filter sand instead of Amazonia I. And yes fishykid you are right it does look more natural once I saw more examples of it

Today (well yesterday) I called the pool place down the street from my work and the guy said he has a couple of bags and would just give them to me. Sure enough when I went down there on my break the guy gave me two 50 lb bags for free

It is not pearl white either which I like. More of a light brown color. Who knows though maybe after I rinse it off it will be white. Either way I am happy with the decision to go sand instead of AS.

Right now I am painting the back of the tank black. A few more coats of that and it should be good to go. Soon after that ill try to post more pics.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are you going to use the soil underneath it? If you don't you'll need to put a lot of fert tabs in otherwise you'll have nearly no substrate nutrients...I'm doing my 75G as a MTS and sand tank. Can't wait for the pictures!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode