Planted Member

Very cool! I love finding baby shrimps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
^^

Also got some new flora in here today as well as a zoomed 501 canister filter!
Took out all but one stem of bacopa and one stem of rotala rotundifolia and added in some pretty tall stems of Tonina Fluviatilis and syngonanthus 'manaus' in their place. Both of which are going to need to be trimmed soon, thanks dave!

I gotta say though, the added flow from this little canister filter is very nice and just what this tank needed. I couldn't fit any HOB on here bigger than the 20 I already have and it's been needing cleaned every 4 days or so to keep the flow up. Even then it wasn't properly moving the water across and throughout the entire tank. So now i'm running both with the intanks on either side of the tank and yeah, loving it so far and the shrimp are behaving more actively than they have been of late.

Here's the shot:

^^

Now off to try and find these baby crystals!
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

see the light distribution problem? I need to find something that will fix this.. 12" T5 anyone?
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

South American theme anyone?

This is 2 days after root medic complete root capsules, and 1 day after planting the T. Fluviatilis and S. Manaus

Also some good news here:

Here's what she looks like

And also good news here:

^^
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ugh, much needed update here, things are good and yet not so well.

I lost all the baby CRS that were born, I'm pretty positive

Problem was due to an ammonia spike that I can only attribute to the rootmedic root tabs I put in this floramax substrate. It seems to need a cap of sand or something to keep the nutrients from leeching out asap.

So I moved all the shrimp to a 1.5 gal hex tank I've had setup for a yr now as a small quarantine tank:

Been using straight RO water and all the shrimp seem alive and well, albeit missing their 5gal lol.

Here's the current shot of what the 5gal looks like right now:

I think I'm still going to add some sand in and rescape this a lil, but its doing good save for the ammonia I'm still waiting on to clear.

Here's an up close of that limno aromatica in the center there:

Changed the lighting from a single 15w(60-70w) spiral compact flourescent sitting right on top of the tank to a 24" t8 florasun bulb 2xODNO sitting right on top of the tank. Much better spread here, forgot about the odno tho, so far algea hasn't been a problem tho. Running 3 bottles of diy co2 as overkill since theres nothing but snails in here.

Comments/suggestions? Thanks
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Algae Grower

I like the choice of flora, good mix, definately a "south american" look. What else are you planning to do to it?
post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I'm not positive on everything yet.

I know I'm going to cap this floramax substrate with some Tahitian moon black sand to stop the root capsule nutrient leak.
Will rescape a bit when I do that to even out the look/height of the plants. I may or may not slope the substrate.

I'd remove the castles completely but they seem to be the favorite spot of my berried shrimp and some of the others too. If I could find some appropriate DW I would substitute them, but not until then I suppose.

I am looking for a few more species of plants but no biggie right now. Still trying to get growing this tonina down, its definitely a finicky little plant thats for sure. I had a Black background on this tank but it just didn't look right so I went with the blue.

Decisions decisions.. ^^
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok, capped the flora max with tahitian moon sand like I planned and that stopped my parameter problems like I thought it would. I added around 1"-1 1/2" of sand.

Put the shrimp back in after 48hrs and watched them for 3 days, after another 4 days of vacation i came back to everyone alive and happy, another berried cherry shrimp, and a pretty good growth of the new rescape. I didn't change it too much but evened out all the stem plants and removed the castles completely for the foreseeable future. The lone stem of limnophilia aromatica is still the centerpiece in this tank.

FTS soon!
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well at least one of my cherries had her babies, so there's little cherries runnin about now ^^

Temp got up to 80 F though while I was at work and I lost two juvie crystals

Hoping the female gets berried again here soon though, shouldn't be much longer as she's saddled ^^
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

Wow , the tank looks great, what floating plant is that, and what lighting do you have on this tank, I want to do something like yours .
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks!

The floating plant is duckweed lol, and the lighting is a 2xODNO 17w T8 zoomed Flora sun, either that or its a flora glo but i'm pretty sure it's the zoomed and not the hagen.

It's overkill on the lighting, but I haven't felt like removing the wire's to drop it down to normal output... with the duckweed covering the entire top of the tank though, it puts the substrate at a low light level. The duckweed literally has like a 2" long root now on almost all of them lol. I've been tempted to plant some in the substrate but no luck so far on the few i've tried. :P

I'll post some new pics tomorrow
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

horrible iphone pic, but i think it gets the point across ^^

post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post

It's overkill on the lighting
no such thing

GONE HUNTING
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

lol well I mean with diy co2 its overkill without the floaters covering the top. I can't do pressurized co2 as my extra 24oz tank is leaking from the burst disc and I'm really saving it for the new tank, all 1/4 inch acrylic and dimension's are 24"Lx12"Wx12"T so it'll fit my 24" T8's perfectly. That'll be the new shrimp tank with my baby cory's for the time being unless someone wants them. Still don't know what they are yet, either bronze/emerald cory's or peppered corys and all my shrimp. I'm on the lookout for some CBS... the shrimplab is all out for the time being.. and I need to reup on my CRS stock as i'm getting low after my initial issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode