Kendrid's 56 gallon adventure (now with Discus) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kendrid's 56 gallon adventure (now with Discus)

I am starting this so I myself can see how my 56 gallon progresses through the months. I figure it will help force me to take photos.

The tank is 30"w by 18" deep by 24" tall. It is an unusual size but it fits perfectly where we wanted it and I already had a custom stand that works well with it.

The details:
Catalina 4x24" T5HO, I only run two or three bulbs. I had the fixture wired so I can run one, two, three or four bulbs. I like the flexibility it provides. The fixture is suspended over the tank by $10 worth of metal cable and clamps from Home Depot.

Rena Xp2 filter
An old Emperor 280 filter. I use this to aerate the water. I eventually want to stop using it as I find it quite ugly.

Pressurized CO2 with a Grigg style reactor.

Eco complete

One giant piece of wood which is attached to a slab of rock. I need to put some plants on the top of the wood to stop algea from growing (or will the algea just grow on the plants...). Right now that is the only place in the tank that grows substantial algae. The rest is some brown dust on the glass.

One Hydor Koralia Nano 240gph and one Nano 425gph powerhead

EI dosing with some root tabs

Fish at the moment:
2 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
2 x Molly (Poecilia sphenops)
2 x Guppy
4 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
1 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
3 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
7 x Rummynose Tetra
1 x oto cat
1 x flying fox

About ten random fry (mollies and guppies)

Since this is a tall tank I need more "top" fish. The Dwarf Gourami has become friends with the rams and is usually hanging out at the bottom with them. I am open to suggestions on some cool mid/top level fish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/5352222016/

I started using the jet output instead of a spray bar a couple of weeks ago. The powerhead then spreads it out over the lawn and across the tank.
The Fred Flintstone style "house" is where the Kuhli loaches live. It's kind of ugly but my kids bought it. It will eventually be hidden by plants.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/5351608005/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/5351609649/

The sword in the following photo was planted one week ago. Since then it has been turning transparent. Any suggestions? The plant behind it has also been melting. Everything else is growing fairly well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/5351612817/

Last edited by kendrid; 02-24-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you want some good top dwellers check out hatchetfish, but you'll need a cover because they can be jumpers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a clear plastic cover I bought at Ace hardware (custom cut). It covers most of the top but there is a 4" gap at the front for feeding. I bet they could and would escape.

After buying that I found that Versa-top makes a glass top for my tank. I've been considering it, and if I do get some fish that may jump I'll get it.

Thanks
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

If you're looking for fish to go near the top, you might have some luck getting some floating plants. I've always had luck getting fish to the top if i had some type of cover for the fish to feel comfortable enough so they dont hug the bottom.

BTW, thx for answering my pm so fast. it was really informative. i might try the 4 bulb catalina.

But i was thinking of using a 30" coralife 2x65 watt just to penetrate the bottom. have the center brace kind of blows though...

what are your thoughts?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been wanting to put some sort of floating plant (not Duckweed) on top. I'll have to look into them. Thanks.

The center brace doesn't really seem to block all that much light but I obviously can't tell what it would be like without it.

With the Catalina I have to trim my hairgrass every week. It isn't spreading nearly as fast as I would like (it's painfully slow) but it does grow up quickly.

New photos will be added soon. I purchased some Starougyne Repens from Tom that I plant in the front left side and I moved the hairgrass over to the front right side. A few shoots of the Starougyne are already growing up and it's only been a week. The others have small roots forming so it seems to be doing well. The only issue I still have is diatom outbreaks. Right now my Starougyne has brown dust on it which I'm not thrilled about.

Quote:
The sword in the following photo was planted one week ago. Since then it has been turning transparent. Any suggestions? The plant behind it has also been melting. Everything else is growing fairly well.
That sword end up melting completely except for the long stalk in the middle. I've left it hoping that the leaves will grow back in time. I did notice last night though that the bottom of the stalk is turning brown. Ideas?

I have removed the HOB filter, relying solely on the XP2. I also moved the spray bar so it is on the bottom right wall spraying across the entire tank.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

updates?

I just purchased my 56 cloumn, and went with a 3 bulb catalina. just waiting for my filter, and a few other parts, and ill be startign mine...

I would love to see updates of your aquarium

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a while and I've redone this entire tank.

It is now a sand bottom discus tank with a few of the other fish still left in it. I moved all of the live bearers over to a 20 gallon along with a few others.

There are four discus, two larger ones and two juveniles. A 56g for discus is "controversial" since people say they need a lot of vertical swimming room. Honestly all of them I've ever seen in huge tanks pretty much stay in one place most of the time.

Fish:
2 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
4 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
1 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
3 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
5 x Rummynose Tetra
1 x oto cat
4 x discus

I am going to move the Gourami to the 20 gallon at the next water change.

The Kuhli loaches love the sand. I now actually see them out and about. With Eco complete they would hide all the time.

I am running two filters, a Rena XP2 and the HOB. I am doing 3x week 50% water changes for the discus. Since they are still growing they eat 4-5 times a day. Because of that I have to dose the EI a little heavy since I'm removing so much water. So far I've had no algae issues and the plants are doing okay. I did lower the CO2 since I don't want to gas the discus.

I have the sand on the right side so it is very shallow in the middle. Under the driftwood there is almost no sand. It is so shallow that almost every day the bristelnose pleco removes the sand so it's bare bottom. I have the powerheads and spraybar positioned so all of the fish waste goes to the shallow end. Cleaning is fairly easy with the way I have it layed out. I move the driftwood and vacuum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/5474943456/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/5474349519/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Algae Grower

Is that a female bolivian?

I like your no setup.

I am interested in keeping kuhlis with rams myself. What is your temp and pH? I was aiming for pH~6 and a temp of ~83ish.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, that is a female. She looks SO much better with the sand. Like the discus, she lightened up with a light color substrate.

Here is my male. The female has simliar colors. I just checked and I didn't get any good photos of her during my last photo shoot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/5474457329/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode