slicebo123: 17 gallon rimless tank--new pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

slicebo123: 17 gallon rimless tank--new pics

Hello there. I've been frequenting the wealth of wisdom and information on these forums for a year now (as of last monday). Despite this, I've actually never started a tank journal. After a year of working with my 10 gallon, I decided to do a 'serious' tank that would give me more creative space. So here goes:

Equipment:currently dry-starting--equipment is all set and waiting for the flood)
  • Mr. Aqua 17 gallon (60 cm x 30 cm x 36)
  • Eheim 2213 with Purigen and glass lily pipes (searching for intake)
  • Hydor 200 W in-line heater
  • ADA Amazonia II + I for more nutrients with some flourite as a base for circulation/aeration
  • 5 lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee Regulator w/ solenoid (searching for a new needle valve)
  • Rex Grigg PVC reactor
  • Archea 36 W clip-on light (hopefully enough for dry start-- will upgrade to 2x24 T5HO with 6700 Giessmann and Plant Gro light once i flood the tank).
Flora: From Aquatic Plant Central's Plant Finder

Fauna:
Still deciding. Ideas/suggestions are much appreciated. I was thinking a school of some species of rasbora or tetra with some german blue rams. Still doing research at this time.

Hardscape:

--Second hand ADA driftwood (can't ID, the seller didn't know)
--2 Seiryu stones from my 10 gallon iwagumi

Notes:
From what I've found, all these plants can be grown emersed--not sure about that ludwigia. In about 4-6 weeks, I will flood this tank.

Pictures!!!!:See attachments. PS Let me know of a good photo hosting website!! That why I can embed the pictures into my post instead as these attachments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0036.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	26410  

Name:	DSCN0040.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	26411  

Name:	DSCN0043.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	26412  

Name:	DSCN0046.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	26413  

Name:	DSCN0057.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	26415  

Last edited by slicebo123; 01-26-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

that 049 tropica will look nice on the right side. Great job!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

thats a sweet piece of wood
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

will post new pics later today. got some new lights, bulbs, and plants!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updates:

1) Found eriocaulon cinereum at my LFS. It's melted a bit and started to flower. I cut if off in hopes of letting its put energy into rooting.
2) Decided to put cherry shrimp, harlequin rasboras, and some blue gouramis in this bad boy. I was thinking putting about 10 to 15 harlequins. any suggestions?
3) Bought a Catalina fixture 2x 24 w T5HO (currently have 1 plant grow and 1 6700K light. I will probably opt for the 10,000 K to balance out the reds of the plant grow bulb).
4) For reference, this tank was planted on January 8. So this is 15 days worth of dry start.
On to the pictures!

here's a higher angle so you can see the stuff growing behind the drift wood. i'll be putting blyxa behind the anubias once i flood.

close up of marsilea i found tangled in the plants i bought. growing well.

staurogyrene starting to root. very tiny shoots.

some sp. of ludwigia starting to send out new shoots. anyone recognize this plant?

the HM here is growing horizontally. i imagine once i flood it'll grow up. i want it to be low and bushy.

purple bamboo! i love this plant. it's starting to turn very purple.

thanks for stopping by. questions/comments always welcome.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the new shoots of the anubias look brown. The existing leaves have green veins while the leaf turns yellow--this is a case of magnesium deficiency. I was going to dose some Flourish Excel (the one with trace elements) to my spray bottle to rectify this. anyone have any ideas on how much excel to put in the spray bottle, since i'm doing dry start.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

I really like the look of this setup. The wood looks great. It has a much more natural and subdued look that most hardscapes. I hope it stays visible and not completely covered with plants.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i feel the same way. that driftwood has tons of character. i don't want the moss to creep over it and hide out all the intricate parts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Honeycomb Master

The plant in picture #5 looks like pogostemon yatabeanus to me.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been searching about the interwebs for info about pogostemon yatabeanus. I'm not sure if the plant i have is that species. they look quite similar but its growth pattern is way more horizontal (perhaps just because its high light). At AquaForest, this stuff was growing like a low hedge. we'll see as it takes off.

PS: If my tubing gets here this afternoon, I'm going to finally fill this tank up. Let's hope everything has rooted well enough. i've given them nearly 5 weeks of time to do it. Pictures this evening.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One month later. I've filled the tank. Things are growing in nicely. Small amounts of algae have started to grow. I've neglected to dose nitrates. Hopefully, I'll have my order get here sometime next week to I can nip this algae in the bud. Instead of photos, how about a VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4dVnqIHlQ

Play it in HD, up to 1080.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Honeycomb Master

OOPS that's totally not Pogostemon yatabeanus... not sure what i was thinking!
It's Limnophila vietnam 'mini'. I got this same plant from AFA when i visited San Francisco during president's day weekend.

EDIT: By the way, i think you posted the wrong link in the post above.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I ♥ BBA!

That driftwood is the most fluid piece I've seen on here. I am fascinated by it.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sewingalot: pretty sweet eh? came with the tank too. I want to move the rocks around a bit to give it a more natural look.

azfishkid: thanks for the ID.

Update: I thought my CO2 was running fine. Nor was I dosing nitrate (in the form of KNO3) for the last 2 weeks. well, shame on my for my naive optimism.

Crazy low CO2 + no nitrate dosing = Staghorn algae explosion. FFS!!! I really should have known better. I'm going to have to hack back quite a bit of my staurogyrene and the narrow leaf.

This is my first tank with purigen. I think i underestimated how efficiently it strips the nitrate from the water.

Probably gonna be a couple weeks before the algae is nipped in the bud. Once everything is pristine again, I'll post new pictures.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've got some new developments to report on my tank.

In the battle of slicebo vs. algae, I've gained the upper hand. I increased my fertilization a bit and upped the CO2. This combined with spot-treatments of excel has beat most of it back. There are a few remnants on my driftwood--their days are numbered.

Keeping the water level about 1.5" below the rim of the tank has so far prevented any more fish suicides. This is a relief--its not fun watching your investments literally kill themselves. RIP my harlequin rasboras.

After seeing several DIY moonlight set-ups, I decided to buy some solder, a soldering gun, and some wire and try it out myself. I took 2 old current moonlight fixtures (those old diamond shaped, actinic blue ones), prised them open with a hammer, and de-soldered the 2 actinic LEDs from each fixture (4 in total). I added 2 super-bright white LEDs in between to give it a more light-blue color. I used the 6v power supply that came with the moonlights. This to me feels like more natural moonlight than the typical white or blue that people usually go for. I used this wizard to figure out what resistors to use.
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
I used higher ohm resistors because i wanted to keep the light very dimm. After all, its dusk/dawn for me too when these are on--I like my sleep.

This was my first experience with soldering. Holy crap, was it fun. I want to solder all kinds of stuff now. Using the diagram from the wizard, I soldered them all together and proceeded to dismantle my Catalina fixture. I marked out equal distances on the reverse of the reflector and proceeded to drill five 5mm holes (the LEDS were 5mm). I pressed the LEDs into place, secured them with electrical tape, re-assembled the light fixture and presto--built in moonlights. Once i get a new timer, they'll go on an hour before and after my normal light cycle kicks in.

Last few things. I found some black poster board at my job. I "borrowed" it to put a non-permanent black background onto my aquarium. (Pictures to come later today).
I also bought the inline CO2 diffuser from greenleafaquarium. This will replace my Rex Grigg reactor, which worked like a charm for diffusing the CO2, but really restricted the flow rate.

Phew. That's about it folks. I'll post pictures of the tank and all the new additions tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode