Bacter 100
Eheim 2211
Ryuoh stone (from TPT)
5lb CO2 tank
Currently 1 to 1.5 bps
aqmagic nano diffuser
DIY Drop Checker
Cal Aqua 13mm lily pipes (From TPT)

Purchased clear tubing and reducer to switch out the green tubing that came with the eheim.
I wanted to find a cheaper alternative for high quality tubing, and was able to.
Used the site Computer Liquid Cooling & Premium Air Products, Parts, Kits & Accessories | Sidewinder Computers and ordered:
-----3/8 "to 1/2" reducer
-----6 feet of 1/2" durelene pvc tubing
-----1 foot of 3/8" durelene pvc tubing
Really wonderful tubing that isn't too stiff and fits perfectly with the lily pipes and the eheim quick disconnects.

DIY Garden mat:
Made from a rubber drawer liner that I purchased at a Dollar Store
here in NYC. I cut the mat to the size of the tank and placed it between the
tank and the lighting stand of the Solar Mini M.

Plants: Glosso and HC (from Pacific Aquarium on Delancey Street here in NYC)
Fauna: Will be: White Cloud Mountain Minnows (currently in a holding tank) and Cardinal Japonica or Cherry Shrimp (breeding in my other tanks)

Fertilizing:
So far I'm dosing 1ml of Flourish Potassium and .5ml of Flourish Trace after a
50% water change every morning
I will eventually be doing weekly water changes of 1/3 of the tank once my
plants start to establish.

Lighting:
Between 8 to 10 hours during the day

Aquarium Cover:
I have a curious cat so I keep a cover on the tank when I'm not home.
Went to a sign/glass company in Queens and had 1/4" glass cut to 12" X 8" for $10. Fits perfectly, especially with the metal tabs that came with the
tank for an optional top.

Here are some random snaps of my progress

Because my power sand and solar mini m light were on backorder from ADG
and got held up in customs, I decided to run my Eheim 2211 as an
additional filter on my fluval edge tank. Then I purchased some white
cloud mountain minnows for the fluval, however, they started eating my
cherry shrimp babies. So I made a quick tank with a glass orchid container
that I had leftover and put the minnows in there as well as my eheim 2211
and a whisper 30 filter. Once the light and sand came, I switched the eheim
to the ADA Mini M and kept the whisper on the minnow tank. The filter has been on the other tanks for about 4 to 4.5 weeks. I was adding nutrafin cycle on the white cloud tank with the eheim, mainly
because I found the bottle that I never used that came with my fluval edge,
and just wanted to give it a try.

progression shots of setting up the eheim 2211

So the dry scape:

I started with placing a layer of bacter 100 and clear super before I added
the power sand. Then I used a good amount of Power sand to aid in making
the large slope in the back of the tank. I made sure to keep the power sand
a couple centimeters away from the front of the tank. Then I added
a little more bacter 100 and clear super. Then came the Aquasoil Normal
type. I used the entire 3L bag. I sloped it with a baking spatula. Placed my rock setup which I had been contemplating for months (believe it or not), found a scape I enjoyed. Used the golden ration of 1:1.618. Then added a
little bit of power sand.

planted January 7, 2011
The tank is mainly HC. However, I found some really sexy glosso at Pacific
Aquarium and decided to plant the glosso in the back left corner in the photo.
I didn't plant too much glosso, but I mixed in some HC with it as well. I think
it may give the tank a nice contrast in depth and color. Experienced some
water clouding the past couple of days. So I've been Just doing daily
water changes and replanting the HC or Glosso that comes loose and
floats to the top. I planted the HC in clumps of three or four. Planting
was a little more difficult than I had predicted. It took a lot of patience,
especially trying to maintain the slope while planting, misting and slowly filling with water.
But once the water reached the top and the substrate adjusted a hair and resettled
from the vigorous planting, was I happy with the initial outcome. I honestly spent
hours yesterday watching the water circulate and the plants pearl.
My next project is going to be drilling the IKEA cabinet for the filter tubing. Best, el g

See less See more
#88 ·
Decided to make some adjustments to the tank this week. I got rid of the glass diffuser and built my own external inline co2 reactor, and I have to say- I'm very glad that I did. The project was a complete success and cost not even $20. I also got rid of my bubble counter because it is now made obsolete with this new reactor design.

The hardest part about building this reactor was finding the right place to get the parts for it in New York City. Home Depot was not the store to go to. I went back to Chinatown and the plastic store on Canal and picked up some 1.5" acrylic tube for $3 and then went to 200 Supply Corporation on Elizabeth street to pick up the fitting for the tube. The acrylic tube I purchased does not match up to a standard PVC pipe so outside the box thinking needed to be done. I ended up with two 1.5" x .5" bushing that I fit onto a threaded coupling reducer which I modified with a knife and sheer will power and silicone glue to fit the acrylic tube. I wanted a clear reactor and was determined to make it work. I did. I was going to use brass fitting and a tap for the tube but decided otherwise because of possible copper leaching into the aquarium. Better safe than sorry. I ended up using two .5'' x .5" nylon barbs for the inflow and outflow connection for the reactor. It took a little tweaking for the tubes to fit from the eheim 2211. That filter has an outflow of 3/8 and an inflow tubing of 1/2". Luckily I had a nylon reducer to connect the different size tubings to accommodate the reactor's inflow connection. I just had to reconfigure the lengths of my inflow and outflow hose for my lily pipe connections. I tapped the co2 directly into the reactor using the just the airline tube and some silicone to be on the safe side. But enough rambling, here are some pics:

THE PARTS

THE FITTINGS

CUT THE 12" ACRYLIC TUBING TO 10"

SILICONED THE FITTINGS (AFTER GLUING THEM TOGETHER WITH PVC CEMENT) TO THE ACRYLIC TUBE, HAD A BEER AND WAITED 24HRS FOR THE SILICONE TO FULLY CURE. *also be sure to use teflon tape when connecting the barbs to the bushings.

THE NEXT DAY, TOOK OUT THE TOOLS AND GOT TO WORK CONNECTING IT.

LOOPED THE AIRLINE TUBING AND INSTALLED TWO CHECK VALVES JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

THIS CHECK VALVE WAS FROM MY DIY BUBBLE COUNTER THAT I HAD GLUED WITH SOLAREZ TO A SYRINGE. THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE TO THE REGULATOR AND POSSIBLE FLOODING

SECURED IT TO MY WALL USING SCREWS AND A HEAVY GAUGE METAL WIRE TO HOLD IT IN PLACE ON TOP AND TWO SCREWS ON THE BOTTOM TO KEEP IT PERPENDICULAR TO THE FLOOR

PUT THE BOARD GAMES BACK ON THE SHELF TO MASK THE FILTER, AND FIT EVERYTHING SNUGGLY IN THE CORNER AND OUT OF SIGHT

MOVED THE DROP CHECKER TO THE OPENING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TANK WHERE THE DIFFUSER AND AIRLINE TUBING USED TO BE. LOVE THIS DROP CHECKER THAT I MADE BY THE WAY. WORKS SO GOOD, VERY CLEAN AND DOES NOT OBSTRUCT YOUR VIEW WHEN LOOKING INTO THE AQUARIUM

TANK SHOT WITH THE EXTERNAL DROP CHECKER.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, I CAN MAKE YOU A DROP CHECKER FOR YOUR TANK. JUST SEND ME A PM

AND THE PARTING SHOT OF MY DIY ACRYLIC PIPES THAT I MADE WORKING BETTER THAN THE GLASS ONES I PURCHASED. VORTEX IN ACTION

I have to say that this project was a success. No leaks, no noise, no bubbles, excellent co2 diffusion and happy fish and plants and hobbyist. Making your own stuff is so much more rewarding than anything else in this hobby. I highly recommend you make one of your own for those that are interested. I'm currently running mine at 1 bubble every 2 seconds but may increase it slowly seeing how the fauna adapt. Very efficient and a very satisfying addition.

best,

el g

#91 ·
the co2 tank lasts me almost 4-5 months.

thanks chiefroastbeef!!

today I noticed that my fish were breathing a little heavily and initially thought there was a co2 spike. but then ran a nitrite test and found that my tank is going through a mini cycle. I think I had my filter unplugged longer that I would've liked when I was installing the reactor. I also changed out some filter floss media that was in it and I'm sure messed up the bacteria. lost a couple emerald eyes. The remainder have been put in the edge tank. bonehead mistake on my part. I was worried at first that maybe the fumes from the silicone in the reactor was messing with the fish, but only after testing the water did I understand my error. I'm just keeping the cherry shrimp in tank right now. All the other fauna I pulled and put in a more stable environment for the time being.

#92 ·
Your tank looks excellent!

I hear you on the metal pipes, I bought the ada ones but they are too large. I'm thinking about getting some custom made by the same place that makes my tools and see how those are. The initial ones will probably be pricey but worth it.

-Andrew

#98 ·
pulled all of the HC and sold the giant carpet (save for a few sprigs that I saved to replant). Moved some rocks around and added a different one. Planted some dwarf hairgrass in the back left corner and a few sprigs in front of the rocks. Looking forward to the hairgrass filling in with the HC and taking over. Current inhabitants are roughly over 80 cherry shrimp and about 11 neons I got for cheap (plus 1 otto). This tank has been quite an epic adventure. The external co2 reactor is flawless and a great addition. I've covered the intake pipe with some filter sponges to prevent the cherries from being pulled into the eheim. A few months back I was backwashing the eheim and about 30 shrimp (babies and adults) were discharged from the filter (still living). Aesthetically speaking, I would pull the sponge but my wife loves the shrimp and wants me to do my best to protect them. This option over the filter intake seems to work the best. Maybe I'll come up with a better modification for the intake, but for now, the sponge will do. Very happy with this tank. My next step is to purchase another pc bulb as I am still running the one from my original purchase. everything is growing wonderfully. I've been dosing not as regularly as I used to. Maybe once or twice a week, but things seem to be settling in very well. tank maintenance is very rewarding (when you stay on top of it). The best tool I've found for removing any algae from the glass has been a plain toothbrush purchased from Duane Reade. Any scraping product I've purchased from any lfs has been undoubtedly disappointing. the toothbrush is the best tool I've used for maintenance. and for the rocks, my sonicare. I've been eyeing some 12" tweezers and maybe a better set of pruning scissors for the HC. I wouldn't mind a trimming tool that can attack the HC without getting my hands wet, or contorting my arm Harry Huidini style to trim in the corners or near the rocks.

To those who have been following this journal, it has been a while since my last post. Thank you for your comments. I hope you dig this tank. Come January, it will be about a year from the purchase of this setup. I really really enjoy this tank. Looking forward to the new scape and plant growth development. Looking forward to posting more progress. Here's the most recent photo (the HC and dwarf hairgrass shown were planted 10 days ago....go HC go):

#100 ·
Nice DIY acrylic projects. I might have to hit you up for an external drop checker in the future. Also, lovely tank. I would be very happy if I was one of your fish.

#101 ·
Great tank and great diy skills! being in ny and having soft water, do you do anything to keep kh/gh up? or do you not bother? curious because I'm here in queens(rockaway) and I am thinking for my next project to keep a soft water tank since we already have it on tap. may be easier then having to dose ca/mg and baking soda to keep it up. I've just started in this hobby this year and hope to to make it to your level one day.

#102 ·
thanks for the comments rikardob, shoteh, and frrok.

rikardbob, I'll have to check out fleabay to take a look at the mesh covers for the intake pipes.

I really have a lot of fun tinkering with the DIY part of the hobby. the acrylic pipes I've made and drop checker work like a charm. and the reactor was well worth the time and energy. If I were to make another one, I think I could get away with a smaller cylinder.

frrok, i don't do anything to adjust the gh of the water or the kh. I haven't had any issues with the tap water here in nyc being too soft for my liking and haven't worried about it too much. I think you should be fine with the tap water as is, although I'm not sure what it is like down at the beach where you are. Looks like there were some fun waves this past week at 90th street. not sure if you surf, but I would've loved to have been out there.

thanks again all.

best, el g

#103 ·
Oh yea! I do and did. I've surfed the last 5 days in row...;)
Been living out here for almost 6 years. Best move I ever made...

Anyway, thanks for the advice. The water here is def soft, 2 kh/2gh. I bumped it up a bit cuz I have some Val's and ferns that I think like a little more hardness. Also have Endler's that appreciate it

Attachments

#104 ·
did my first trim after letting the plants settle in for the first two weeks. also messed a little with the smaller rock. the HC is off to the races and the DHG is filling in but not too fast. had some bba on top of the main rock for the first time since keeping this tank. I think some of the additional decaying plant matter introduced through the dhg had something to do with it (as well as not doing a water change for two weeks). trimmed it back a little. brushed the rocks and the glass. and presto. looking good again. I keep the sponge over the intake for the filter for the sake of the shrimp. looking forward to the next couple of months. going to try to keep at it (trimming and removing dead material). I've got two tops on this tank. a glass piece that I had cut and an acrylic one that I used to use. the acrylic bows a bit, but at least with the extra covering, I'm not losing any fish from late night jumpings. As always, best to those who are following this thread.

#109 ·
Hey Frank,

I'll keep an eye on the CO2. Maybe it is the culprit. I've got pretty excellent diffusion happening in the tank right now. however, I may be completely wrong. this is the first time I've seen this algae in this tank. Part of me is also thinking it's time to change the light bulb. co2 and light and the plant detritus could all be the culprit. thanks for the info. My drop checker solution may need to be renewed. I'm gonna take a look at it manana. much love. -el g

#110 ·
I decided to change it up all together. It will be about a year since I set this tank up. So I pulled everything and replanted and rescaped. It's funny because I rescaped for quite some time one night. Filled it with water, went to bed, and was very unhappy with the outcome when I awoke the next morning. So I drained the tank et al and went to work. I never planned a scape like this, it just kind of happened in a matter of a few minutes. really digging it. Got the heat gun out and reshaped one of my outflow pipes into a more custom style jet shape and am very happy with the outcome. Placed the DHG in the back right corner and filled the rest in with HC. what's hard to tell in the photo is the slope. It's amazing how without water, the slope is so prevalent, then when the water is added, your depth perception gets distorted. Regardless, I'm very excited with the new layout. I'm looking forward to the plants filling in. The HC grows so fast in here it's quite amazing. I think it's going to look really great in front of the main rock. It'll be a huge HC field with the DHG in the background. The sponge over the intake in the photo is to save the shrimps from the eheim. much love to all viewing. -el g

#116 ·
Adding an update. It's been over a year now with this setup. I started to get some brush algae and even some staghorn. I realized that something was up. My CO2 reactor for one did not seem to be working as efficiently as I would've liked it too. I went back to the glass diffuser. I also pulled all the rocks out. Drained the tank and sifted the substrate, which had become anaerobic. I had way too much substrate in there which had been packed so tight in some sections that it was near impenetrable. I mixed some power sand with the aquasoil and really like the outcome. I've decided to grow more than just HC. I in fact got rid of the HC all together and am going to do an emersed wabi kusa with some of it. I've planted an echinoderus as well as some rotala and a plant which I believe to be nasaea pedicellata (but I'm not sure). The foreground is solely dwarf hair grass. which I think will look really cool with the focal plant grouping. I have noticed a serious change in the behavior of the fish. They seem to be happier. I'm excited. It was time for change. Here it is after planting and rescaping. best, el g

#120 ·
I have noticed a serious change in the behavior of the fish. They seem to be happier. I'm excited. It was time for change. Here it is after planting and rescaping. best, el g
When I first saw the new scape I thought... I bet the fish are more at ease with potential hiding places, then I read your comment.

Look forward to seeing your progress.