Junior's 75g - attempting dutch style in the long run (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Junior's 75g - attempting dutch style in the long run (56k warning)

Well my last journal lost all of it pictures, so I thought I would start over and do progression photos for the first post.

So may not be the best looking tank but I am slowly learning how to correctly trim the plants and where to place the plants for the best look.

any advice is appreciated.

4 65w CF (2-6500k, 2-10000k)
2 2213 ehiem (1 running UV sterilizer, 1 running co2 reactor)
Pressurized CO2
2 Koralia powerheads to add flow

10-12 liters of amazonian aqua soil

EI method, tweeked a little.
light metricide 14 dosing to help with BBA

August 1 2010
First week it was setup had just received HC and Tropica's Starougyne repens. Thought I had an idea of my hardscape but was I wrong.

August 12 2010
Received a plant package the next day, so took more pics. Also added some blyxa and 2 kleiner bar sword

August 23 2010
Added some new plants but still looking like I have no idea what to do with them.

September 5 2010
Everything was growing fast, but was chaos.

September 24 2010
All the plants where growing but I had no idea how to trim them. BBA had started to show its ugly head, was just a bit of what was to come.

December 18 2010
Reason for the gap was because BBA took over my tank. I cut back light but all my plants started to die. I was forced to completely remove some and majorly trim back others. Finally I got it under control, this is about 1 mont after that. Wish I had taken pictures. Also I just removed the large driftwood on the right side because I couldn't work with it.

January 4 2011
This is yesterday before I trimmed up and even up the growth on all the plants. I will take some pics tomorrow of the all the plants evened up. I have been cutting back the HC and adding Tropica's Starougyne repens to help with the transition into blyxa, can see it but there is about a 3" area behind the hc that is growing in. Oh and ignore the bag of veitnam 'mini' floating, it is now in my garden since I had no taker in the SnS, was about 20+ stems.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by junior; 01-09-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I ♥ BBA!
This is a fantastic example of how nice a tank can look with a little time and patience. Great scape.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru
That is a very nice tank. Inspires me to invest in a C02 setup.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Planted Member
That tank has come along way man! It's looking good keep it up.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Planted Member
Really beautiful tank. I love seeing the progression of it.

"I laugh because I dare not cry. This is a crazy world and the only way to enjoy it is to treat it as a joke. That doesn't mean I don't read and can't think."
- The Number of the Beast, Robert A. Heinlein

75g v1.0
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Thanks hoping in the next month the plants start to fill in and blend together for a more natural look.

My CO2 setup was VERY cheap, I got very luckly. I had a 5lb CO2 tank from my reef tanks that was about 5 years old. Just had to pay for the refill. Then I found a nice regulator with all the trimmings for $40. Everything works perfect, the needle valve does't even float. It was so cheap because he thought the solenoid was broken but it was just jammed and one of the gauges was broken. So had to spend just 5 dollars to fix.

Last edited by junior; 01-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower
Hey Junior, nice to see another planted tank guy around "the neighborhood". I'm in Newport, and may hit you up when one of your for sale threads come around again for a local pick-up option.
Great looking tank, I like the progression. Kinda reminds me what I am going through with making it look organized.
My question is how you beat the BBA? Did you do the O.D. Excel method or some other. I am going through that as well at the moment.
Nice tank, and it's looking great!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Yes I overdosed with metricide 14, but haven't used it in a while and haven't had the BBA coming back. I think what has really helped is getting my ferts dialed in.

I followed peoples advice on cutting back photo periods and intensities but it didn't slow down the BBA. It just really hurt my plants. I finally just decided to crank the lights back up to a 8 hour photo period and made sure I never missed a day on dosing. the metricide just helped get rid of what had already grown in.

Planning on snapping some pics tonight.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Nice looking tank! I have found that setting up a strong mid-ground is really important in a tank. It lets you play with the background plants and foreground but keeps the composition stable. Another thing that helps is playing with the size and color of the plants. Sometimes with something bigger/darker in front and lighter/smaller in the back will really make the tank look deep.

The blyxia looks to be really nice mid-ground plant for your tank. The Alternanthera reineckii might make more of an impact just to the left of the blyxia between the two other stems there.

Just my $0.02.....
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Algae Grower
love the tank man!

Noice, really noice. I am planning a 75 gallon with 2 eheim 2213s also. Do you find the dual 2213s to be adequate?
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Thanks for the advice, I have been having problems with the reineckii shooting out roots lower down and it is very unsightly on the lower section. Reason I have it back there. At one point it was in the mid-ground and it really drew your eye. I have trimming throughout the tank right now because I want a larger section of it.

January 7, 2011
Here is a full tank picture I took today after trimming up a lot of the plants and moving some around.

This is the flower I found coming from my kleiner bar sword, first plant to throw off a flower.

Random shot of the right side that is finally growing in after removing that large piece of driftwood.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
nice tank, thanks for the progress photos, really like how it's turning out
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru
A friend of mine has the Reinekki as well. He has blyxa japonica infront of it and it hides it very nicely. If your worried about roots, just cut them off some.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
I would suggest going with bigger filters, that is the one thing I think I would have done different is add 2 2215's instead. at this point I am my next addition will be a 2217 and moving the 2213 to a different tank.

I tried trimming the roots but they grow out like crazy. Just better to put them behind something and let them develop roots. Also noticed if I do that they grow much faster.

Its been a long road but I am finally starting to like my tank.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Algae Grower
Thats a sweet tank for starters. Wish I had that good a start.
Nice going. Will watch as the tank comes along.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode