2744" simplicity - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

2744" simplicity

Hey everyone,
I've been dying to do a new tank at my appartment for a while. Have been planning it for several months and basically have everything for it, just need to finish constructing it. I'm going to build a 14"x14"x14" cube that will have a drilled bottom, so I can hard plumb it. So far I've drilled the Bottom pane and assembled the tank. The only pictures so far are of the drilled bottom pane. I will upload more pictures later of the assembled cube. My plan is to go with something simple. In my other tank it is a bit of a jungle and I have a matt of glosso that I bought from another member that has been floating for a couple of weeks now. I would like to get that out of my 20G long by using it as a carpet in this tank and may just add a couple other plants. I think I would like to add a slope but we will see once I get things a bit more together. Still need to build the stand & hood. Will update accordingly. Here are a couple pictures of driling the holes for the bulhead fittings:

To create the dams around the pre drilled holes I just used a glue gun and when finished the glue pulls right off the glass.

So the Specs for this:

TANK:
  • DIY drilled 11.88 gallon cube measuring 14"x14"x14"
EQUIPMENT:
  • Aquatop 300 canister filter-264GPH "supposedly"
  • DIY reactor
  • Heater-stealth, probably upgrade to hydor inline.
  • High capacity suction screen
  • DIY 3 bulb vanity hood
  • Flow accelerator
  • 3/4" Sch. 80 bulkhead fittings
  • PVC & more PVC
FLAURA:
  • Glosso
  • Dwarf Hairgrass
FAUNA:
  • To be determined

Thanks for Looking! can't wait to update.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hello everyone,

So I've taken a photo of the tank assembled and with the plumbing underneath it to show how its going to be set up. Here are the photos:

Note none of the pieces of PVC are cut to there actual size, everything will be shrunk down to fit in a stand that is about only 2 feet tall. So I think I may add another ball valve between the filter output and the reactor. Shorted my self on a couple of fittings so I need to go pick those up and I'll be good to go. Also at the bottom of the reactor there will be another "U" bend similiar to the one at the top, I would much rather use these than elbows to help with flow rate.

Not sure if this will really affect anything but the PVC on the intake is 1" and on the outake it is 3/4". Also I bought a "flow accelerator" and affter putting it in the tank it seems huge, I will try it out but I think I may be swapping it out for something else.

Thanks for looking!
Will be updating soon!

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alrighty have a little update. I worked on the hood some today and have it assembled now all I need to do is add a hinge to connect the two lid boards together, put a 1/4" as a backing to hide the wires, then sanding & apply several coats of paint to seel the wood so moisture does not affect it. Heres the hood as of now:

As seen there is a 3/8" grove that runs around the center of each side. The hood will just slip over the glass.

Thanks for looking! hoping to complete the stand sometime this week. Will add photos when finished.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

very nice build!!!!! following along for this!

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

UPDATED: Worked on the stand today, pretty much got it all assembled, just did not put the door casing on and the door. Still needs some minor things like a hole in the back for a powerstrip to come through, Finish off the inside bottom, paint the whole thing, paint the back of the tank, finish the things from the last post on the hood. Also switch out the bulbs with 6500k ones. Just minor things that wont take long. I just really wanted to get the stand together and put the tank on it and hook it up. The waits been killing me. As you can see I just have basic plumbing hooked up. I still need to construct the reactor then plumb the filter to that then to the outflow. I didn't add it today because I forgot to get the little hose barb that feeds the Co2 into the reactor and the regulator has not arrived yet. Also the 5lb tank came in the mail today, I'm stoked about that. Now I just need to get it filled. I'm a little nervous about my amount of space under the tank to still try an fit the Co2 tank and reactor set up, but I will have to try and make it fit...maybe take off a side panel to get to things easier.

I filled the tank halfway just to see how it held and to insure my fittings where tight...no leaks. I will empty it in the days to come and I think I'm going to try playing with some nice mud/clay that I've been preparing to see if I can mold it into some small mounds. I'm hoping it holds its form better than just using flourite or eco, I will see. Well here are a couple of pictures of the stand with the tank on it. Thanks for looking

Oh yeah, this probably is a rhetorical question but can you have to much filter media? I did pack it pretty tight with pillow floss. I figured that this thing would be jetting water out with the size filter I have on it and that I have a "flow accelerator" head on the outflow. But it's just gracefully pushing water.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Plant Clown

To check, measure the time it takes to fill a known volume (gallon or 2L bottle, for example), and translate that into gph flow rate. It will be significantly lower than the advertised rate, which is (theoretically) the rate without any media. I clocked my SunSun at 140gph with standard media, though the total height was probably higher than average.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Nice build! Looking forward to seeing the progression.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

UPDATE: Hey all, have been working on the tank here and there when I have time. The back is now painted a blue, I'm a little unsure about it I may switch it to black. The hood has also been painted but I realized I need to fix something on it. I had cut a grove in the center of each side so the glass slides into it but I need to actually trim the inside of the "U" that slides over the glass so it is not resting in water. Plumbing is also finished I received the Regulator on monday and with that the reactor was a GO. The lighting is also finalized with two 20W and one 15W all at 6500K.

I've moved several plants over from the 20G Long being: L. Aromatica, ludwigia arcuata, Blyxa Japonica, E. Tenellus, Downoi, and some glosso. I'm hoping to keep the variety smaller in this tank mainly a carpet or grass look at the base.

I played around with having a hill in this tank but decided against it as I felt it took up too much room. so now it is just flat but after adding the piece of wood to the back left corner to hide the outflow I sort of want to add a bit of a slope coming down from the back left. The glass and water is still a bit grimy looking because I tried using mud at first and some of which is still lingering. So here are the updated shots, one of which is of the old scape.

Thanks for looking! look forward to updating!

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting hopefully the inlet and output will cover up

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yeah I'm hoping that as well, kind of wished that I had drilled the back pain instead. But I think once the Aromatica and Ludwigia grows a bit taller it wont be as noticable.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chafire View Post
yeah I'm hoping that as well, kind of wished that I had drilled the back pain instead. But I think once the Aromatica and Ludwigia grows a bit taller it wont be as noticable.
aren't you worried about that inlet getting clogged? it looks like it is going to be a pain having this tank fully planted with the inlet so low. Just think of the maintenance you will have to do every time to make sure it isn't being clogged.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've been noticing that already just with dead floating debri that its clogging the sides of the intake but its not that big of a deal just have to pull it off.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You could always get a piece of pvc spray it black with krylon fusion and have it go to the top with a piece of screen over it...

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

UPDATE: Well its been just about 2 months since I did an update for this tank. Growth has been great! the E. tenellus has been spreading not as fast as I would like but its doing it so I'm happy. The Blyxa is very bushy and lush I actually split it apart today and planted in the back left corner where you see the L. Aromatica in the photos. I think I'm leaning more away from L. Aromatica I never seem to have great luck with it the bottom leaves always die and fall off and it doesn't get as purple/red as I would like. And the roots never seem to take or barely do. I really like the ludwigia arcuata it seems much more sturdy and it stays a pinkish/red all the time, its a nice contrast to the green.

I replaced the outflow with a piece of PVC with small holes drilled in it. It increased the flow so much rather than having it come out one big opening. Also I've had some leaks.....one day the outflow bulkhead was leaking man did that get me nervous but I toyed with it for a while trying to get a grip and managed to tighten it some more....stopped that leak. Then my reactor sprung a leak and I patched that with silicone....then a couple days later it worked its way through the silicone and began leaking again. I decide to just tear the center of the reactor apart and re-cement it. Haven't had any issues yet. Oh yeah need a new timer for the Co2 but I'm picky and prefer the old fashioned first alert timers but they are hard to find, so I will wait till one comes up.

So enough babbling here are the updated photos:

Oh yeah the small pump on the left hand side was temporary while I was repairing the reactor since I couldn't run the filter. I didnt want stagnant water.

Thanks for looking! Look forward to updating!

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Planted Member

Lookin good!

Love the filtration! I also have that Canister. I think its great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode