LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

that shrimp pic/vid cracks me up. that should be put in the TFH calendar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Planted Member

I have a dozen rummies, and I added 6 cardinal tetras a few weeks after I got the rummies. Now the rummies don't swim around in a tight school as much as they did before I added the cardinals. Now they act more like the cardinals do. My tank looks a bit too busy. My tank is only 55, so it might not look so busy in yours. Not sure if it is just my particular tank situation, but I thought I would share my experience. (I also added some angels, but I would think that adding angels would make them school more. Who knows?)

Looks good by the way. I want to get some otos.
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

Your tank is great. I have 10 rummies in a 65 gallon. I want to add some more just b/c I like them The 10 have been in the tank for about 3 months and seem to be happy. They only seem to split up when my SAE's go crazy.
post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOwl View Post
I have a dozen rummies, and I added 6 cardinal tetras a few weeks after I got the rummies. Now the rummies don't swim around in a tight school as much as they did before I added the cardinals. Now they act more like the cardinals do. My tank looks a bit too busy. My tank is only 55, so it might not look so busy in yours. Not sure if it is just my particular tank situation, but I thought I would share my experience. (I also added some angels, but I would think that adding angels would make them school more. Who knows?)

Looks good by the way. I want to get some otos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMR2
Your tank is great. I have 10 rummies in a 65 gallon. I want to add some more just b/c I like them The 10 have been in the tank for about 3 months and seem to be happy. They only seem to split up when my SAE's go crazy.
Thank you for the input on the rummynose. We have a fish club meeting tomorrow and always head over to the guys store than runs the club afterwords. Will have to see what he has. He gives a pretty good discount on club nights. I know I want more rummynose for sure but I am still debating on a second school of tetras. Would rather not mess with their tight schooling habits though. There is so much open water pace to fill up. Right now it seems a bit empty and the rummynose hang kind of low. Maybe something that will hang a bit higher in the water. Will have to watch some tanks for a bit but the behaviors will probable change from the small holding tanks to the bigger planted tank.

Otos are a great little fish. I haven't kept them in a number of years because I have had BN plecos but I am glad to have them now. Very active all day long. Great fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91
that shrimp pic/vid cracks me up. that should be put in the TFH calendar
Thanks! Picture is for sure not high enough quality I would think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid
Nice! I love all of the blyxa.
Looks great. And LOL @ those cherry shrimp... i've never seen them do that before! That's cool.
I have seen them at the top like that when the duckweed gets thick but never lined up in a row before. I also love the blyxa. Has to be one of my favorite plants! No runners and a grassy look! What else could you want?

Any criticism or suggestions are welcome also. I have some plants I am not sure where to put.
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Algae Grower

Tank looks awesome, love the design!!!!
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Nerd Alert.

Love the RCS photo, I literally lol'd.

Great tank! Wish I had it

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am really enjoying the separate sections for plants and the white sand. Not only does this look very nice, but it takes down the cost of adding planted aquarium specific substrate to the whole tank.

Mage - The other hobby
No planted tanks currently running (11/26/2014)
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Shawnts106 - Thank you!
Caton - Thank you and I am glad I could bring a chuckle to you.
Capsaicin_MFK - The sand has worked out well. I like how it gives the fish a lot of open (negative) space for the fish. It also came with the tank and I didn't have to go out and buy any more Flourite for the tank. In expensive is good! The Flourite that came from the 55G gave me enough to have 4-5" in the planting area.

Fish update: Added a 5th Corydoras ehrhardti and 6 more rummynose last night. Lots more activity in the tank now! Love it!

Have a bit of a fertilizer question. I have been dosing EI since I got started in the hobby about 5-7 years ago. I am almost out of micros (flourish). I am thinking about buying CSM+B Plantex. See the thread here about it.

Thanks for looking and for any help that you can provide on the fertilizers.

Will try and get some pictures at some point this weekend.
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are a couple of photos from day 22 of the tank. I am having a hard time getting a nice shot with the fish in focus. Any tips? Camera is on a tripod and I am using a 2 sec. timer so I am not touching the camera when it shoots.

post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was in the middle of my 70% water change and started fining eggs all over in the plants.

Corydoras ehrhardti - eggs!!!
post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Congrats on the Cory eggs! Are you going to pull them to raise?

Are you using a flash on the camera?

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am going to let nature run its course this time and set up a raising tank/tub for the next batch that should come in the next couple of weeks. I have a contact with a breeder in our local fish club that has given me a bunch of tips to raising them. Hopefully they will spawn again soon!

I did not use the flash on the camera. Here are some better pictures for you.

post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

just turn up your ISO on your camera. it should help with capturing the movement, if only for a small sacrifice in quality.
post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice looking tank. Congrats on the eggs. You are right though, the top half needs some activity. If you like tetras, my vote goes for lemon tetras. They school just as much as the rummies. Harlequins would also be a nice addition, although, ime, they tend to shoal more than school.
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just got my fertilizer package from aquariumfertilizer.com. I will start dosing CSM+B Plantex for my micros as soon as I run out of flourish. I also picked up the 13% cleat iron. I am curious to see how the extra iron will work with the plants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode