The Planted Tank Forum banner

10G Low-tech Tank: Protrusion

11K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  sewingalot 
#1 ·
Yet another new scape for my trusty ten gallon tank. It took about twenty minutes to put it all together, and even though I would've liked a higher slope in the back-left (I'm currently out of Aqua Soil), I think the scape looks good. A black background will likely be added. Besides that, I think the scape is finished.

Fauna:
Nerites
RCS
Red Ramshorns

Flora:
Anubias nana petite
Fissidens fontanus
Mini micro sword
Needle Leaf Java Fern

Ferts:
Excel
Adjusted EI

Lighting:
2x 20w CFL spirals

Plant Layout:
The Fissidens is attached to plastic twisty ties to hold it in place. Once it grows in, the ties will be hidden. Anubias nana petite and Java Fern in the back, Fissidens in the crevices between the rocks (middle), and mini micro sword in the front. I still have a golfball of Fissidens leftover, as can be seen in the pictures.

Pictures - 12-28-10:
Water is cloudy, though I hope to clear the water by this weekend.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks gals. :smile:

12-29-10:
I did a 100% WC today and, for now, the annoying cloudy dust has been eliminated. I think the cause of the cloudiness is my filter so I am going to leave it off for the day and see how things progress.

#8 ·
The rocks have some nice textures and colors that should really pop with the black background.

And, as it so happens, the water became cloudy a few hours after taking the pictures. Since there was no disturbance in the water, I imagine I am dealing with an organic bloom rather than mere AS dust. A bloom that seemingly lasts indefinitely as I've been battling it for many months, as you already know. ;)

Water parameters have been fine in my last scape so I am unsure what is causing it. The only time I managed to get rid of it was when I used some API carbon or new Purigen. I currently have neither, so I placed an order for both a few minutes ago.

#10 ·
I added belem and DIY CO2 a few days ago. Otherwise no changes. No pictures as I cannot remove the cloudiness even with fresh carbon and Purigen. I imagine UV would work but I'm not paying that much.

#14 ·
Fissidens is fluffy and the carpet is getting full. Cloudiness still exists but perhaps it has lessened in intensity.

My camera already has trouble photographing aquariums that have clear water, so taking any worthwhile shots of this tank will have to wait until the water clears.

#15 ·
3-19-11:
Haven't done a WC in a month. Water has been pretty clear, at least compared to what it was, for the past week.

I removed the Java Fern since they never do well for me with Excel. I'm not sure what to add back in that corner.

#17 ·
Thanks. Due to a lack of free time, I haven't been able enjoy it or any of my other tanks, which is also why I stopped doing WC. :smile:

#19 ·
Thanks. I'm very pleased with the mini micro sword. The E. belem hasn't spread/grown much but the sword, as can be seen, has become a full carpet. I'm not sure why there isn't a high demand for it.

Did you give your Mini S to your GF or did you end up selling it? Your Mini M looks great. Have fun with the UG. :p

#23 ·
I agree with sewingalot as I wouldn't change anything either. It is definitely inspirational. I have a 10 gallon I am getting ready to rescape.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Beautiful...and yes that mini micro sword looks great. Where did you get it?
Thanks everyone. I got the mini micro sword from Minsc (fellow TPT member).

#21 ·
I agree with sewingalot as I wouldn't change anything either. It is definitely inspirational. I have a 10 gallon I am getting ready to rescape.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

#27 ·
No eating the shrimp!

4-4-11:
I should probably do a WC soon. Been about two months now.

The water is still quite clear. It is actually better than what is shown in the pictures.

#29 ·
I like my tanks to be maintenance free. I don't think I've even touched this tank since the last WC except to add/remove the floating Blyxa plants I was giving away.

#32 ·
Thanks nonconductive.

WOW, what an amazing tank. I started a 10 gallon myself and was debating on which carpeting plant to go with. I thought I already settle with DHG, but I think I am convenience that i should start looking for some mini micro sword. Thank you.
Thanks. Next to MM, it is my favorite carpeting plant.

#38 ·
That is a good idea. I'll go do that next week.

I'm really loving this tank man, I like the way those Fissidens look among the rocks.
Thanks.

please, tell us about gravel, about substrate.
Substrate is ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia I. I added some osmocote capsules in the beginning.

#41 ·
Thanks. Would be nice if my camera could take a decent picture of the tank.

This is a beautiful tank. The only thing that I can say is that the snails ate kinda distracting, have you thought about getting an assassin snail in there?
I like the snails so they are staying. :tongue:

#43 ·
You take very good pictures. Just look around at some of the others to see that you are up in the top ranks of picture taking skills. :thumbsup:
You're too kind. :icon_redf

5-31-11:
I got around to doing the first WC in months. :smile:

I wonder how many RCS are in this tank.

#44 ·
I'm going to steal all of your Mini Microsword when you aren't home.:icon_mrgr

The tank looks fantastic:thumbsup: I'm jealous...

#45 ·
That reminds me, it is probably getting close to selling time for the mini micro sword. What sucks is that after I sell it, I'll have to replant and I hate doing that.

Any updates on your tanks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.