The Planted Tank Forum banner

Momotaro's 75G Aquarium Journal (56K Warning)

222K views 944 replies 185 participants last post by  thrak76 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are some photos of my new 75G Oceanic aquarium. I started it on 4/1/03. Just some basic shots of the aquarium itself and inside the cabinet. Inside the cabinet you will find a Hydrologix CO2 reactor, an Eheim 2126 Thermofilter (180W), and my swapped out CO2 tank. I am using the Milwaukee MA957 regulator set up. Since the photos I have finished the plumbing into the aquarium, and washed six bags of Flourite and added them also (will post photos soon). My next step will be to run all the power cords neatly, place the filter thermostat, connect the CO2, and place the CO2 controller once it comes. Tonight I plan to wash the rocks I collected today, and just chill out and enjoy what I have already done! After all, it's a hobby, not a job. Got the rest of my life to work on this!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's looking SWEEET so far. I wish I could keep the inside of my cabinet as nice as yours. :( It's just full of aquarium stuff. It looks Ok when the door's shut. :lol:

Marcel

#5 ·
I'll second m.Lemay and say I wish the bottom of my stand was clean... again, mine is just full of aquarium stuff, but I have managed to put my CO2 tank under there. Looks awesome, I can't wait to see it when it gets filled!

-Tim

#7 ·
There is about 18" in the loops. I don't believe this will reduce the pressure much. Would the pressure be reduced by the same amount if I placed the filter 20" to the right in the right hand corner instead of in the center? The extra length will come in handy when it is time to clean/service the filter. If it doesn't....snip!!

#8 ·
Finally got the aquarium filled!! Boy, it took a while. I had to go with a 3:1 ratio of RO water to tap water. After all of the agonizing as to where to place the wood, one of the darn pieces dried out and started floating. It was quickly removed. Here is a shot of the "filling process". Siphoned one bucket at a time so as not to disturb the Flourite too much. There is a film on the surface of the water. I may have to contact Seachem about this. That is the only hitch I encountered.

Mike

Attachments

#9 ·
Filled. Filling went off OK, but you know I could not get off that easy. The lights didn't fit. The JBJ 48" lighting fixture will fit a 75G aquarium. Just not a 75G Oceanic aquarium. The tank was about 1/2" too big. What to do? I took a couple of pieces of 2x3, primed them, painted them flat black, and put them under the JBJ stands. It works! They still flip and look pretty good. Were the lights the only problem I encountered up to this point? Of course not! The Milwaukee pH controller I bought did not come with any calibration fluid (I am beginning to suspect it may have been used). Now I have to wait for the company I purchased it from to contact me so we can come up with a resolution to this annoyance. For now everything is moving along. I am following this guideline for setting up the aquarium:

.http://www.csd.net/%7Ecgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

I may start planting on Tuesday.

Mike

Attachments

#10 ·
:shock: People still use buckets to fill thier large tanks ? Eventually you'll want to get a python to do the water changes, it'll make it way easier.

You should probably should buy some calibration fluid because they only give you 2 sample packs anyway. No big loss there :wink:

Marcel

#11 ·
Had to move the RO and tap water across the room. Buckets were my only option. I also kept count of the amount of water I put into the aquarium. The Aquarium holds 75G but with the displacement by the gravel, wood, and stones, there is actually 62G in the tank. I figured knowing how much water I put in would help me dose medications a bit more acurately. The buckets were much easier (and neater) than you might imagine.

#12 ·
That's a fairly clever idea about the buckets. A little more work now might pay off in the end. Picture 081 isn't working, though. Does everyone else see it?
I'm planning on buying that same Milwaukee pH controller so that is a good tip to buy some calibration fluid ahead of time. Thanks!

#13 ·
Sam: Picture 081 isn't working for me either.

Mike: I was just busting your b_lls about the buckets :lol:

Marcel

#16 ·
Soon enough my friend! All things take time. I've tied some Riccia to some small pieces of shale last night and intend to plant a bit of hairgrass this evening, so I should have some photos soon. The calibration fluids for the pH controller should be here tomorrow, so I will get that bit of equipment working and will restart CO2 injection then (don't want to crash the pH again). I will be adding plants all weekend! Once I get the CO2 levels set and the plants off to a good start, I WILL add fish! I am just too slow!!!!!

Mike

#18 ·
Mike,

Good work!

Looks great so far. You put me to shame with your neatness. I've got mine up and running with some plants and fish. Haven't had time to set up the journal yet. I did take several pictures which I will post later.

David

#19 ·
Thanks David! Glad you are back. Hope the move went well.
I always try to keep things as tidy as possible (OCD). I just shortened the tubing from the filter. While I was at it I added a shut off valve between the CO2 reactor and the spraybar. In case I need to do any maintanance to the reactor. Also did some more planting. I will post pics very soon.
David, how did you make out with the JBJ fixture? Mine was a little short for the Oceanic. I put the fixture up on a 2X3 and it worked out fine. I can still use the "flip" feature.
I can't wait to see some pictures of your aquarium. I am sure it is great! Post them soon, I'll be waiting!

Mike

#20 ·
Here are some shots of my algae outbreak! I added a lot of fast growing stem plants to try and out compete the algae. The algae growth has seemed to slow down a bit today, although I've noticed it growing away on the Flourite. Guess I'll have to grin and bear it! I am going to get some Ottos later tonight I hope. It will be my last chance to get them till Saturday.

Despite the algae the plants are pearling away like nuts!

Attachments

#23 ·
I added a second filter to help with the mechanical filtration as well as increase water circulation. I added an Eheim 2215 canister. I packed it with Efhisynth and foam pads. The water circulated way too quickly at first. It really blew some plants around! So I increased the outtake hose diameter from 12/16mm to 16/22mm (1/2" to 5/8"). I also made the outtake hose much longer than it needed to be. I used a spraybar and pointed it down and towards the glass. That worked fine! I have really bumped up my mechanical filtration and the overall circulation ti the aquarium. I am all planted now. I will post photos of the planted aquarium shortly. In the mean time, here is a shot of the new installation.

Mike

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.