The Planted Tank Forum banner

Momotaro's 75G Aquarium Journal (56K Warning)

222K views 944 replies 185 participants last post by  thrak76 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are some photos of my new 75G Oceanic aquarium. I started it on 4/1/03. Just some basic shots of the aquarium itself and inside the cabinet. Inside the cabinet you will find a Hydrologix CO2 reactor, an Eheim 2126 Thermofilter (180W), and my swapped out CO2 tank. I am using the Milwaukee MA957 regulator set up. Since the photos I have finished the plumbing into the aquarium, and washed six bags of Flourite and added them also (will post photos soon). My next step will be to run all the power cords neatly, place the filter thermostat, connect the CO2, and place the CO2 controller once it comes. Tonight I plan to wash the rocks I collected today, and just chill out and enjoy what I have already done! After all, it's a hobby, not a job. Got the rest of my life to work on this!

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
Lokking wonderful! Mike, I can't beleive your installation, it amazing. You better find m ore algae for your Otos or they'l get skinny.

Davidl

#31 ·
Excellent aquascape! I really like it. Some might think the heavier forestation on the right side causes an imbalance, but the open spaces on the left side draw your eye right back. It's not always true that more is better, and that your eye will always be drawn to the busiest sections of an aquascape.
And to top it all off, you've got the best of both worlds - a lush Dutch plantscape on the right with a good variety of plants, and a serene application of a small mountain range (a la Amano) on the left. I love it!

#32 ·
I did not like the direction the aquascape was going in. Combining a "nature" style aquarium and a "Dutch" style aquarium was proving to be too hard. It did have it's appeal, but it was getting difficult to work with the scale of the rocksand things never really "looked right". With some encouragement and advice from some folks on another board, I made some changes. I took the rocks out. I hated to do it, but the scale was all wrong. I then moved the wood more to the center of the aquarium and things started to look better. Next I added more Flourite to the left side and created a hill. Once I moved the Riccia from just the left side to the entire front things really looked better. Now I need to pick some more plants and go from there. Any plant suggestions? I think the aquarium looks better! Don't you?

Attachments

#33 ·
I just wanted to say that this is one of my favorite journals on the forum. I just love looking over your setup. I can't wait for more pictures!! :D

The way you redid your tank looks great. I hope my tank turns out half as good as yours.

BTW - what are those short plants in front of the driftwood? Not the grassy ones but the stem plants spread in front of the wood.

#34 ·
The tank is looking super fine momo. Your design is sorta the direction i'm leaning towards for my tank.(check out my new post in the general section).

What are you using for that fine grass foreground? Thats the stuff I want to use!

Marcel

#35 ·
Thats funny Marcel! I left a post for you before I read this one! Check it out..

Schala,
What a wonderful compliment! I really enjoy posting on the progress of the aquarium. The photos are just as much fun! If only you could see the shots of me doing water changes, washing substrate or panicing over equipment! It has been a slow process for me. I think I started in mid April, and I am just starting to head in a direction I am happy with. Gee whiz, I only have seven Otos in the aquarium! Two months and almost no fish! I am only half planted. It is a continuing process, and I move very slowly. Hey, I think almost all of the fun is the setup and the planting, why rush! I'll continue to post on my progress until the aquarium is "completed" or all of you folks on the board ask me to stop.

Mike

P.S. I love the avatar, Schala. Anime fan?

#36 ·
Added a half dozen Amano shrimp yesterday. They have already made a bit of a dent in the hair algae. Of the eight Otos I added one died. Not too bad as I understand Otos can be a bit dicey. Between the shrimp and the Otos I have a pretty good clean up crew working for me. I ordered some Blyxa japonica after reading one of Marcel's posts. I am planning on placing it behind the Riccia as a smaller mid ground plant. I'll post photo's on that I soon as I can.
Starting to think about adding one of those "Moonlight" lamps soon. I need to do some research on a good one. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.

Mike

#37 ·
The tank is shaping up nicely ! :D

Dont give up on your stones just yet ...
I think the stone was sharp looking and it only looked out of place because it was lonely on that side of the tank... I think that with some nice stem plants surrounding them they would blend in nice and accent the aquascape. :wink:

IMO, structure , whether it be stone or wood, adds character to a tank... it seems that many tanks these days are going to a "plants only" look. I feel that a good mix of both is just more appealing.

Patience is paying off for you momo and it shows in your tank, very nice so far...cant wait to see the new additions you have in store ! :wink:

Almost forgot to mention... there are a lot of beautiful fish in tiny little tanks at the LFS just praying for a home like that ! :lol:

Buck 8)

#40 ·
Wayne, NJ !! I grew up in Paterson and North Haledon, the next town over! My GF is from Wayne! My gosh, I'm in Hawthorne! My goodness, what a small world. I am going to save my stone for a future project Sam. I bought the petrified wood from Rt. 4 Aquariums in Elmwood Park (East Paterson) . If you are going to send your folks there for some let me know. I'll send directions for them, no problem!!

Sam, if you go to visit you better let me know..the beer is on me!!!

Mike

#43 ·
I hope everyone can see the picture. Again, I love these scissors! I will have to use them to trim the Rotala this weekend. Sunday. Tomorrow (Saturday) were taking a ride down to That Fish Place in Lancaster,PA. After TFP were are going to Bubes, a haunted tavern for lunch, do some local touristy things in Lancaster and the Downingtown to the Victory Brewery for dinner. Hope I'll be able to drive home!!

Mike

#44 ·
Love your tank, wish I had that much style and flair with my plantings.

Rumple

#47 ·
It's been a while since the last update. Here is the aquarium after a bit of growth and some trimming. I trimmed the Riccia, it took all of ten minutes. I skimmed almost all of the trimmings off the top of the aquarium, it took all of one and a half hours. Gotta love Riccia!

I am still relatively fishless. Just shrimp and Otos. I am still trying to decide on the fish. Cardinals? Kerri Blues? Espes pencilfish? Rummy Nose?I do plan on moving a couple of Sparkling Gouramis into the aquarium. I love those two fish and want to give them a good home.

Was going to post a photo of myself but chickened out. Don't want to chase all of the board members away!!

Mike

Attachments

#49 ·
Balansae's are my favorite of the crypts and they caught my eye Mike :D

Your plants are all looking beautiful... however the tank looks naked without any fish.
I dont know how you do it... I cant resist it when I see any of the local shops get nice fish in stock.
If I were you I would have a nice school of tetra's in there, God put tetra's on this earth for planted tanks...

My favorite site to view... Turn up the volume and look at what tetra's can do for planted tanks.
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/aquascapes.htm

Cant wait to see more updates Mike, looking awesome !

#50 ·
Mike the tank is looking awesome. I'd get a school of 30 cardinals and a few housekeepers (algae eating crew) and thats it.
If I were to do my 75 over again thats what I'd do. I don't have the heart to get rid of any of my fish otherwise I would do it. I get sentimental about my fishies, they all have little personalities.

Marcel

#51 ·
Guys,
I am leaning towards the Kerri Blues. I love the color! Maybe some Rummy Nose. Many people agree with Marcel and say Cardinals. Truth is there are no fish because..I can't make up my mind!!!! I can say this much one or two varieties and that is it (besides the two Sparkling Gouramis).

Mike

Maybe a poll question is in order?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.