I have a new heater and the green water is starting to FINALLY clear up! Most of what I read said to reduce the photo period, cut out ferts and increase co2. I wasn't using any ferts but I did put in the co2 and cut the photo period. It wasn't clearing. Then I seen the recommendation to INCREASE the photo period to cause it to grow faster and use up the nutrients faster. I did that and the next day it was seriously worse. But, I stuck with it and the following day it was starting to clear. This morning I can actually see the driftwood and the plants near the back. So increasing the photo period seems to be clearing it up by using up the nutrients more quickly. In the future, I will recommend an increase in the photo period to help clear out the green water more quickly. This is my first experience with it and its been a nightmare!
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."