New House = New Office = New Aquarium - 2/25 update [56k Warning] - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Things looked great for about 2 days.

60-70% of the tank is planted and everything is growing fine. Still not a single plant I wanted, but at least its green. Plants pearl so much the water looks like it is boiling.

Water was crystal clear, no hair algae and only sparse green-spot algae could be seen.

GH and KH had leveled out after switching to RO.

However, I woke this morning to the biggest bloom of Hair Algae yet. I did a 10% water change the night before using 50/50 RO and tap mix and only added Baking Soda to maintain the KH.

Then later tonight my Catfish decided he wanted to become a jumper and leaped out of the tank. My wife got him back in within seconds, but he would still go into convolutions and then start floating.

He did this about 3 times and I knew he couldn't remain in the tank. I setup a hospital tank using syphoned water from the main tank and he seems to be recovering in it. His breathing is back to normal and he isn't thrashing anymore.

I tested the water and nothing is out of scope. Ph hadn't changed so its not Ph shock. I suspect CO2, but no other fish showed stress. I always focus on the Cardinals because they are typically the most sensitive and are the first to show signs of water problems.

Thankfully GLA just got drop checkers back in stock. I ordered one yesterday along with the new diffuser they got in (the one I have is fail). If I am having CO2 issues, these should help me get it in order.

I hope my catfish recovers. He is the only fish we consider a "pet".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Things are clearing up from the worst brown algae bloom I have ever seen in all my years in the hobby.

Pretty clear today

This is what I vacuumed out 3 days ago...

I added 6 Ottos to help the existing crew as well as a few wanted plants.

KH and GH have stabilized, but still low. PH is a little high.
I need to get some KNO3 because nitrates disappear quicker than what I can get them in the tank.

Here are some more recent photos. The wisteria forrest should be replaced in a few weeks. All terrestrial plants are doing fine and many of my green plants from my old tank are turning red.

post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Decided ti try a movie this time.

Got rid of the temp plants and they now have a new home at the local pet shop.

90% of the plants are 1 week old in tank.

The mask thing is going away, I was just messing around. I have a pieced of iron-work that will be going over the cork-board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOF1dF5ZXH8
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

love that last shot. Your tank is coming along nicely.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey there. First of all, great tank! Secondly, I have the fishneedit MH so I would love some further detail on putting together the light guards. Do standard hinges fit in those little rivets? Thanks for any info!
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
Hey there. First of all, great tank! Secondly, I have the fishneedit MH so I would love some further detail on putting together the light guards. Do standard hinges fit in those little rivets? Thanks for any info!
Yup, the 1-1/2" hinges slide right in.

You will need 1 set per light (2 hinges split into 4 parts). Make sure you get the kind that has removable pins.

The hinges are really the only key part. You could attach the hinges to anything that can take the heat of the lamps so you could make them out of metal if working with glass is too much of a pita.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Riccia carpet added and all plants growing in nicely. I am having to do lot of trimming.

Outside the tank I added a piece of metal work over the cork so I could pin my vines and add air plants.

Had some mysterious fish deaths, but everything seems to be fine now. I am very surprised to see very little algae growth in this tank.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Beautiful!

I'd love to see some more detailed shots with what you did with the cork and emersed/airplants.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

Could you please move this tank to my house?.... Seriously?... Ill help! lol
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Planted Member

really like the lighting shelf.. looks much cleaner, to me, than the conduit hanger i'm using.
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Nerd Alert.

Why can't my aquariums ever look so good?

I LOVE YOUR AQUARIUM!

Do you have a fauna and flora list?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Beautiful!

I'd love to see some more detailed shots with what you did with the cork and emersed/airplants.
Sure thing.

Air Plants - Concolor, Bergeri, Aeranthos Purple, Vernicosa, Fuchsil Gracillis and a Montana Clump (clump is not mounted on the cork).

Pothos - Most of the vine you see is from a potted plant on the shelf above. I am also growing clippings out of the tank. I hope to fill the entire area with Pothos and Ivey (eventually).

Emersed Potted Plants - Most are planted in aquariumplant.com substrate. I add a fert tablet in each one.

Pot 1 - Ivy and Spider Plant - I am trying Ivy so I can grow it up the wall and to the cork. Growth is slow. I added the spider plant clipping (from potted mother plant) because the success I had with another.
The spiky plant is the Montana Clump. Its not in the pot, but just placed behind it.

Pot 2 - Dracaena Ribbon Plantand Mondo Grass. This is the first pot I setup. Growth is slow, but I have decided I prefer it that way. There is also a spider plant clipping that I put in there as a test. I didn't think it would grow, but it is actually starting to take off.

Pots 3-4-5 (left to right). Dracenia (multi color) took its time to decide what it wanted to do. Much of it died off the first 6 weeks or so and I thought it would slowly disintegrate. Now its starting to get new growth.

Peace Lilly - This is a new plant. My old one got too tall and the leaves were getting burt by the halides. The roots also became very compacted and was stretching out the pot. This is another plant that decided to take its time as far as letting me know id it was going to live. Much of it died off at first, but then it started growing new leaves. Unfortunately it only grew one flower while in the tank.

Lucky Bamboo and Pothos Clippings - This isn't a permanent addition to the tank. I just have the Bamboo in there because it was extra and I didnt want to toss it out. The Pothos clippings will be moved to help fill in the other growth.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good, great job!
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New video added. You can see more of what is in the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQAo4U8IiOk

I am still working on a complete list of aquatic plants.

Inverts

10 - Amano Shrimp
10- Indian Whisker Shrimp
Small population of trumpet snails

Fish

10 - Cardinal Tetras
5 - Ottos
2 - SAE
1 - CAE (...I know, but he is a rescue)
1- FeatherFin Catfish (3 years Old)
8 - Pristella Tetra
1 - Thread-fin Rainbow (Was 6. These were the mysterious fish loss)
3 - Guppies (Rescues)
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

looks amazing, like something out of an indiana jones movie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode