Xalyx's 55 gallon high tech (56k) **UPDATE 2-22** - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower
 
bnbfishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oshkosh WI
Posts: 110
That's quite the change from the original layout. Can barely even tell you have the rock or wood in there and it doesn't even look hilly. The 12MP camera definitely takes a clearer pic compared to the first camera you used. That may be due to some of the adjustments on the camera though as I use an 8.2 MP camera to take shots of my tank and they come out pretty clear (unless the fish are moving). Try messing with the buttons on your original camera and see what happens.
bnbfishin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
SkyGrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blackfalds, Canada
Posts: 924
wow! everything looks so green and lovely! how are all the amano doing in there? i love your use of stem plants and the fact they go all the way to the top. thats my favorite thing about stem plants very nice tank. once i get the 55 (kick out miss diablo) then ill have to do something along these lines

Amy

Long & Low 15 gallon (Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
SkyGrl is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbfishin View Post
That's quite the change from the original layout. Can barely even tell you have the rock or wood in there and it doesn't even look hilly. The 12MP camera definitely takes a clearer pic compared to the first camera you used. That may be due to some of the adjustments on the camera though as I use an 8.2 MP camera to take shots of my tank and they come out pretty clear (unless the fish are moving). Try messing with the buttons on your original camera and see what happens.
Lol. Is that layout change a good thing or a bad thing? I would've liked a hilly effect but there's only so much you can do with a 55G. I wouldn't agree with not being able to see the rock or wood, it's not that densely planted. It probably just looks that way from the pictures. I tried fooling around with my 8.1MP, it's never going to look anything like the 12. I think people were ignoring my thread cause I have crappy 8.1 pictures.

I need to take some more pictures because my tank has cleared even more, there's no longer lingering brown on my plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGrl View Post
wow! everything looks so green and lovely! how are all the amano doing in there? i love your use of stem plants and the fact they go all the way to the top. thats my favorite thing about stem plants very nice tank. once i get the 55 (kick out miss diablo) then ill have to do something along these lines

Amy
Hi Amy. I'm glad it looks green and lovely because not too long ago it was brown and ugly. The amano are doing great and have been breeding like crazy. There's more shrimp than I can count now. Even the red cherries are breeding. I was forced to use stems to fight my algae problems. Not necessarily saying that I didn't want to use them but... plans change I guess.

This tank is a joint project between me and my dad and he decided to get 12 Neon tetras and 12 Cardinal tetras without consulting me. Mainly because I usually disagree with his ideas until they happen and then end up loving them. They're shipping now. Let's hope it doesn't affect my shrimp or my overall look too much. I wasn't ready for fish and that's a lot of them.
Xalyx is offline  
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
Updated Ferts
Updated Fauna
Xalyx is offline  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Algae Grower
 
FishVixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 5
Tank is looking great.
FishVixen is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
Updated Flora

In the process of painting the back of the tank black ;x


Last edited by Xalyx; 02-21-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Xalyx is offline  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower
 
bnbfishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oshkosh WI
Posts: 110
Just differnt I guess? lol I have a 55 gallon as well and have a journal on here for it. It usually gets burried on page 6 or 7 Check it out when you have time and let me know what you think. I have changed it a little and will take some new pics of it in the next day or two.
Your pics tend to have a yellowish hue to them. I am betting it's because of the bulbs you are using. I use a 12000 and also an actinic and it gives the tank a very "cool" feel to it as opposed to a warm with with the yellowish colors. I used to have a 6700 on the tank and it looked just like yours.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
Lol. Is that layout change a good thing or a bad thing? I would've liked a hilly effect but there's only so much you can do with a 55G. I wouldn't agree with not being able to see the rock or wood, it's not that densely planted. It probably just looks that way from the pictures. I tried fooling around with my 8.1MP, it's never going to look anything like the 12. I think people were ignoring my thread cause I have crappy 8.1 pictures.

I need to take some more pictures because my tank has cleared even more, there's no longer lingering brown on my plants.

Last edited by bnbfishin; 02-21-2011 at 01:28 PM.
bnbfishin is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
New pictures 2-20

Here are the latest pictures of my tank with the back painted.


Ludwigia Repens







Hygrophila angustifolia



My pretty Ottos schooling



Various Abubias





Rotala Indica





------------------------------------------

Xalyx is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
Full shots 2-20





Xalyx is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
Fauna ;o

New Fauna arrived today

11 Neon Tetra (1 DOA)
12 Cardinal Tetra



Cowering in a corner from shock

Xalyx is offline  
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
1 tetra died today, not really sure if it's neon or cardinal.
Xalyx is offline  
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
zenche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 866
fellow chitown member!

was the red coloring full body length or only half way?
zenche is offline  
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Xalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
fellow chitown member!

was the red coloring full body length or only half way?
Full length I think. That would make it a Cardinal.

3 more died today

I kind of regret buying these fish. They're not schooling they're bullying each other that's why they're dying. It's not costing me anything since the place I got them from has a 14 day guarantee and they've already given me back my money for the 4 dead fish, didn't even ask for pictures. I never expected this to happen since I purposely picked the tetras that said they have the most peaceful personalities. Oh well. I knew some of them would die, it's the fact that they're not schooling that's kind of disappointing. Because when I first put them in the tank they were all schooling together but now none of them are really.
Xalyx is offline  
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I ♥ BBA!
 
sewingalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WV
Posts: 12,768
What's going on with the fish now? Are they still bullying each other and dying? Or have (hopefully) things gotten better?

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
sewingalot is offline  
Reply

Tags
aquascape, fiftyfive, gallon, high tech planted tank, xalyx

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome