Philip's 90 Gallon - UPDATE 7/31/2012 (FTS P.86) - Page 86 - The Planted Tank Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1276 of 1286 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

I love the tank! One of the best I've seen on this forum in a while. Nicely done

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1277 of 1286 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
I love the tank! One of the best I've seen on this forum in a while. Nicely done
Thank you! It really means a lot coming from a guy like yourself.

This tank still has a long way to go until i'm completely satisfied with it, but i'm very happy that i decided to stick with this tank instead of selling it and potentially purchasing a 120-P.

post #1278 of 1286 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Canon pimp #002

Any updates, Phillip?

RIP 75g Journal | OEBT Journal |120g "New Beginning"

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #1279 of 1286 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Honeycomb Master

Found one of my male L144 blue eyed yellow plecos dead this morning... i've had all 5 plecos for about 4-5 years so i think it was just his time to go. I thought that maybe the other male placo had killed him, but there were no wounds on the corpse.

I'll take an updated FTS later today.

post #1280 of 1286 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Honeycomb Master

Time for a very well-needed update...
I spent the last 2 months in Coronado, CA with my family, meaning all of my aquariums took some major abuse while i was gone. This tank was pretty much infested with every single type of algae that you could ever think of. Thankfully i was able to remove a lot of it, but there is still tons of BBA on the driftwood, rocks, and java fern. The algae outbreak was mainly due to several CO2 issues that happened while i was gone. It was very inconsistent since the tank kept running empty and i had to get a local friend to refill it, and then it would be empty 5 days later... i figure there is probably a leak somewhere, so i'm using a different regulator from my other tank for now. Long story short, the tank went without CO2 for quite a while.

When i came home i cleaned it all up and gave the Staurogyne repens carpet a big trim since it was very thick. Now it's looking back to normal... sort of.

Algae aside, i think it's looking pretty good right now... i'm just trying to figure out what to do next. I want to put a plant behind the Staurogyne stolonifera on the left side, but i'm not quite sure what would look best there. I was thinking either Cyperus helferi or just a bunch of Cryptocoryne wenditii. Maybe more java fern? Or maybe i should just put more Staurogyne stolonifera there to keep it simple. Thoughts?

Also, i'm thinking about covering all of the rocks in taiwan moss, and parts of the driftwood in weeping moss. Maybe i'll even attach some small Windelov java ferns to parts of the driftwood and keep them trimmed so they stay miniature.

In terms of fish, i definitely need more. I think i'll probably either end up adding a lot more cardinals, or maybe just a few more then a nice school of 8 or so roseline barbs. Or maybe i'll just get a bunch of neon blue ricefish and rehome the remaining cardinals. I DONT KNOW, i need some help with this one guys!

post #1281 of 1286 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

How many cardinals do you have in there? I might be willing to take them in a few weeks.

Everything looks pretty good as it is right now! Wanna show us some close ups?
post #1282 of 1286 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Nerd Alert.

Its looking pretty good. Aside from the BBA that is. I have had plenty of trouble with it, and I have found draining the tank and spot dosing some H2O2 on it so it doesn't go into the tank too much and then letting it dry out overnight works wonderfully. Or you can just try to beat it with lots of CO2 and current :P

Personally, i think the Denisonii would put the tank out of proportion. I thought about getting some for my 210g, but they get so big, they dwarf the tank practically. Maybe if you just continually switch them out for younger ones? It does take awhile for them to get to full size... Idk, discus are going to look SWEET though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
I was thinking either Cyperus helferi or just a bunch of Cryptocoryne wenditii
First time I have ever heard you say Crypt in a positive sense.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #1283 of 1286 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any updates on this tank?

Chrisinator's Aquatic Project Journal
post #1284 of 1286 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Any updates on this tank?
I took this tank completely down last night. It is now sitting empty outside on my patio, looking for a new home. I'm selling all of the equipment as well.

I was hoping that i would be able to keep it up longer, but i thought about putting more money into it and figured it wouldn't be worth it since i would have had to take it down before i go to college in August anyway. It was sad to see it go, but it has now given me the opportunity to focus more on my mini-M and to (hopefully) give me some extra spending cash to expand my Bucephalandra/Schismatoglottis/Aridarum/Hamalomena collection. I also had to sell my honeycomb catfish to a friend of mine--which was REALLY hard to do since i love them to death--but he plans on breeding them, so at least i'll know where to get more when the time is right.

post #1285 of 1286 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
I took this tank completely down last night. It is now sitting empty outside on my patio, looking for a new home. I'm selling all of the equipment as well.

I was hoping that i would be able to keep it up longer, but i thought about putting more money into it and figured it wouldn't be worth it since i would have had to take it down before i go to college in August anyway. It was sad to see it go, but it has now given me the opportunity to focus more on my mini-M and to (hopefully) give me some extra spending cash to expand my Bucephalandra/Schismatoglottis/Aridarum/Hamalomena collection. I also had to sell my honeycomb catfish to a friend of mine--which was REALLY hard to do since i love them to death--but he plans on breeding them, so at least i'll know where to get more when the time is right.
You will miss the 90g a few months after you sell it, trust me. The riparium scene was the best look for this tank. Have fun in college!

Mage - The other hobby
No planted tanks currently running (11/26/2014)
post #1286 of 1286 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
You will miss the 90g a few months after you sell it, trust me. The riparium scene was the best look for this tank. Have fun in college!
Oh i'm sure i will, but leaving it empty at home isn't an option according to the parents, and paying $75-$100 a month for climate-controlled storage just wouldn't make sense. I wish i could keep it.

I do have to agree that the riparium setup was my favorite out of everything that i've done with this tank. The video that i posted of it on youtube just recently hit 6k views, which is more than i had ever imagined it would get. I miss the riparium a lot. I hope to do something similar on a larger scale in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode