post #31 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Matty
Wow, just wow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

This is freaking amazing. definitely made my friday.
post #33 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Wow, just wow.
^+1 couldn't have said it better
post #34 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow is right! This is so awesome it burns.

My Second Fluval EBI

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #35 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
Wow is right! This is so awesome it burns.
Might wanna get that checked out

Just kidding. I want to go to home depot right now and buy foam to carve out my idea! haha
post #36 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know as much as this is a DIY thread you could probably start selling these. Just imagine how awesome it would be for a kid to stare into this in the waiting room of a Doctor's office or dentists office! Damn I'd stare at this while waiting in line for anything.

Ever thought of making an instructable out of this? Do you have a big giant parts list with general prices for materials? I'm sure there are huge amounts of leftovers and scrap bits but I'd love to know how much it would cost in just materials to put one of these together in my spare time while also being lazy and not have to make one myself from combing through your thread. heh...
post #37 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok guys, I need a little help here:

My light fixture has 4 X 54W T5 bulbs, which can be regulated as 2 independent pairs (ie. 2 ballasts, each of which regulates 2 bulbs). As you can see, the lights are suspended quite high above the water. So far I've just been manually turning the lights on and off but I'd like to get them on to the timers. What lighting interval would you recommend? Should I just use 2 bulbs for most of the day with a brief period of high light (all 4 bulbs) for a little while in the middle of the day?

I'd like to use EI dosing to fertilize the tank but I'm not quite sure how to adapt it to this unusual setup. I know that the EI dosing tables were calculated for high light, densely planted setups but this tank probably qualifies as low light, lightly planted setup. How much should I reduce the dosing? Also, I'm not planning on adding in CO2 since it would probably all gas off in the dripwall anyway. How do the EI dosing parameters change in a non CO2 supplemented tank? Also, are the NPK requirements for emersed plants different than those of submersed ones? How should I factor this in?
post #38 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh well, I guess most people are only here for the pics.

Here are a few updates after the initial round of planting. The plants so far are:

submerged - anbias nana, java fern 'narrow', java fern 'trident' and a little bit of bolbitis heudelotii.

emersed - riccia covering most of the ecoweb, a tiny bit of christmas moss, two types of selaginella, white rabbit's foot fern, pteris fern, pepromia 'mini melons' and three neos (not sure on the IDs).

It's only been a week or so, but so far none of the plants have really taken off. I think the tank really needs more foliage so I'm on the lookout for other plants that will work well in this setup. I'm open to suggestions.

Also, as you can tell from the pics, my fan system isn't quite able to keep the glass clear. I was hoping for it to be a pure air circulation system but that didn't really do anything to de-fog the glass so I have some small openings in the top for ventilation. I may replace the current 50mm fans with some 80mm fans to more more air.

Overall tank:

Closeups of the water area (believe it or not, there are 11 good-sized clown loaches and a flag tailed prochilodus hiding in the shadows there):

Closeups of the top part (notice all the water streaming down the background):

post #39 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

how did i miss this thread???!!! so awesome, well done!
post #40 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

With EI dosing, the whole thing with it is that it's overdosing ferts to make sure that the plants are never with out, so putting too much in isn't going to be an issue. Sure it is set up for a high light tank but you can def. tweak it for a lower light setting. The most important thing is to just keep up with the water changes each week.

I'm not sure how submersed vs emmersed set up would affect this sort of dosing.

As for lighting, Since it seems the light is pretty high up above the water you could get away with running all the lights for 8 hours, but having a 4 hour burst wouldn't hurt either. You can use light to be the limiting factor in how plants grow, by providing an abundance of ferts and co2, light is the only thing that affects plant growth rate. If you want it faster, go with more light, slower, go with less.

Btw, it looks awesome!

edit: The emmersed plants shouldn't have an issue with co2 since they can pull it from the air, but your submersed plants may not be growing at their best without co2. You could always just dose excel, or just pump a whole lotta co2 into the water to make up for the drip wall off gassing.
post #41 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_deeb View Post
Ok guys, I need a little help here:

My light fixture has 4 X 54W T5 bulbs, which can be regulated as 2 independent pairs (ie. 2 ballasts, each of which regulates 2 bulbs). As you can see, the lights are suspended quite high above the water. So far I've just been manually turning the lights on and off but I'd like to get them on to the timers. What lighting interval would you recommend? Should I just use 2 bulbs for most of the day with a brief period of high light (all 4 bulbs) for a little while in the middle of the day?
Sorry I don't really know enough to be able to answer your question. I was about to build a 3 ballast 6x 54w T5HO fixture to replace my 48" 2x 40w T12 bulbs but then I realized I'd be crazy to do that without using CO2 since I get algae now with just 2x T12 bulbs!

Try reading up on this for getting an idea if your lights vs distance will be good for your setup and plants. I'm slowly reading it trying to digest the info but I've been a bit ADD the past few weeks so anything that isn't the normal "hay guys look at my pictures" kind of fades away quickly into the background of my attention span.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

I was even thinking about just using 2x ballasts (independantly controlled) for 4 lights that I could run at 2 for most of the day and then the 3rd and 4th bulb for a noon blast of light but IDK if people do it for their fish, for their electricity bill, or if the plants really need some warmup time and cooldown for photosynthesis.

In regard to your glass with condensation. If the humidity/temp in the paludarium is very different from outside of it you'll have a hard time stopping the condensation from forming. Try aiming the fans at the glass which may help atleast keep the glass warm enough so that the condensation doesn't form on it due to the difference in temperature of the glass and air in the paludarium. Kind of like a car window in the winter. You could always try warming up your glass by installing something similar to the heated thin metal strips used on your rear car window. Anyways you're all sorts of on top of being ingenius with dealing with your paludarium so I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Goodluck
post #42 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh btw is that moss on your walls? If so wat kind is it? I grow moss on the rocks of my pond waterfall and I tweaked all the rocks to have a constant thin flowing layer of water to keep the moss moist. I've read that moss grows best at 40F and it grows a bit differently on my pond rocks compared to when I picked it up off of the ground in its more compact form.

Edit: NVM I went back and reread what you posed... ecoweb is on the walls... covered with riccia... derp XD
post #43 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Amazing!!!!

210 g - Empty right now
post #44 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is amazing! The fact that this is a DIY tank makes it even more so. If I had the space I'd do a paludarium...

Canon Pimp Club #032
post #45 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Matty
I recently went to the aquarium in Gatlinburg Tn this past weekend, They had a killer set up similar to this. I will try to post a vid here once I get it all edited and stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode