75 gallon dwarf cichlids and Rainbows and... - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 161
75 gallon dwarf cichlids and Rainbows and...

Picking up the rack tomorrow morning and getting going on the second 75 gallon. I've got a good amount of wood and I'm picking up a little more tomorrow. Also going to pick up some black lava rock to grow fissidens and buces on. For now here's the wood I'm working with. The one piece is huge

I may just pick up whatever else I need tomorrow and deal with the consequences. I'm going to put a cycled AC70 on it from my 150 so I can add fish immediately giving my new syno's a grow out
Greggz and Dman911 like this.
The Dude1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 52
I can't wait to see this


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbkemp is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 161

Putting together the rack now. Have to drain the 75 and take all the rocks out and transfer it to the bottom shelf. The new one will go on top and I have room for 4 -10 gallon growouts on the bottom.
Got an AC70 and I'm going to swap media from one of my established 70's. I'll add another filter later on once I've got a light figured out. Hopefully 1 group of Syno's will arrive today and be comfortable in the tank by tomorrow. Another 5 are arriving next week.
Any.suggestions as to what to start stocking first? Maybe a couple Bolivians? I could maybe do Apisto's at the same time. It will take a while to get all the Rainbows sourced and budgeted in. I want to have a big 8 foot tank in my office when I open my own practice and I'm thinking a healthy mature group of Rainbows and some cool dwarf cichlids would keep the kids entertained. Everyone does saltwater... and its super cool.. but I think a mature planted tank could be just as impressive.
mbkemp likes this.
The Dude1 is online now  
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Dman911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post

Putting together the rack now. Have to drain the 75 and take all the rocks out and transfer it to the bottom shelf. The new one will go on top and I have room for 4 -10 gallon growouts on the bottom.
Got an AC70 and I'm going to swap media from one of my established 70's. I'll add another filter later on once I've got a light figured out. Hopefully 1 group of Syno's will arrive today and be comfortable in the tank by tomorrow. Another 5 are arriving next week.
Any.suggestions as to what to start stocking first? Maybe a couple Bolivians? I could maybe do Apisto's at the same time. It will take a while to get all the Rainbows sourced and budgeted in. I want to have a big 8 foot tank in my office when I open my own practice and I'm thinking a healthy mature group of Rainbows and some cool dwarf cichlids would keep the kids entertained. Everyone does saltwater... and its super cool.. but I think a mature planted tank could be just as impressive.
It may be a good idea to put something under those legs. That's a lot of weight to have on 4 tiny spots on the floor. Just a thought but I'm not saying it will be an issue but rather it may be.

Dan
Dman911 is online now  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
It may be a good idea to put something under those legs. That's a lot of weight to have on 4 tiny spots on the floor. Just a thought but I'm not saying it will be an issue but rather it may be.

Dan
That's not a bad idea
Any tips on an air pump that can comfortably run sponge filters in 4 10 gallon tanks? Would one rated at 50 gallons work or more? That will be the only filters in them
The Dude1 is online now  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Dman911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,221
I use a fluval Q2 and it would have no problems doing 4 10gal tanks with sponge filters. For the cost there are also other options that will run many more than 4 tanks for a reasonable price like https://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-Comme...CNX6QA6ZH&th=1 but I have never used them and would assume they would probably be a bit noisy if that is a concern. I also could not comment on the quality or life expectancy. I am very happy with the Q2 and it is adjustable. I use it to power my underwater waterfall and have had 2 sponge filters and a 1 gallon container of saltwater mixing at the same time while I was setting up stuff for shrimp breeding.

Dan
Dman911 is online now  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 161
That Fluval looks perfect. I'll pick one up. Is this what I would need to split it to the 4 tanks?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N2...ID=61mVAnsmCvL

Bump:
Measured out the rack, but one of the shelves has to be right in the middle to "stack" the two parts. I would prefer the frame rails to be single 6 foot rails, but that was not available in this style and rating. The 10's will go on top. I'll switch the tanks over tonight after the gym.
The Dude1 is online now  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Dman911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
That Fluval looks perfect. I'll pick one up. Is this what I would need to split it to the 4 tanks?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N2...ID=61mVAnsmCvL
Never used that one in particular but pretty much any manifold will do. I use penn plex https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-4-Way.../dp/B0026XWLQA and never had an issue with them. I have used other cheap plastic ones that have been garbage and often leak. Cheap check valves can really restrict air flow and I don't use them on my pumps because I'm to cheap to buy decent ones. I don't recommend not using them but if you hook it up and get less than desirable airflow that's the first place you should look.

Dan
Dman911 is online now  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Dman911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,221
Just wanted to add incase you were unware that when the diaphragm(s) on these pumps fail you can but a repair/replacement kit for a fraction of buying a replacement pump. I used to fix quite a few elite air pumps before I went to one central pump when I was breeding.

Q1, Q2 Air Pump Repair Module | A18832 | Replacement Parts | Fluval

Dan
The Dude1 and mbkemp like this.
Dman911 is online now  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 52
I love Bolivian rams. Some cockatoo's with them might work in a big tank. I tried borelli and that did not. Let it season a little.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbkemp is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 161
I feel terrible. Last night was awful. After the gym I got to work. I ended up having to remove everything from the tank to move it... including fish... all I had was a 3 gallon bucket so I tried to do I quickly... then realized that there wasnt enough room for me to get into the bottom tank... and fit filters etc... then once I figured that out the wife was getting irritated with the aquarium supplies in her bathroom... started pumping water back into the tank and basically just dumped the fish back in and started reworking the rack and moving out the old furniture.... then the dog got out... once I convinced her to come back in and got the stands to the garage every one of the fish was dead... no dechlorinator... I'm guessing... my water comes from a well, but what else could it be?? They were dead in 10 minutes... I feel awful...
I just stopped and I'm going to take a break. Hopefully I can get the room situated today and get the second tank on the rack and clean up the room... but I am stumped... I haven't used dechlorinator in well over a year and never an issue...
There's alot more to doing a rack than just setting one tank above the other I am learning.
mbkemp likes this.
The Dude1 is online now  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 52
I did something similar last week. Tragic!! We learn from our mistakes and get better


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbkemp is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Dman911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,221
Your well has chlorine/chloramines? It could be several things and more than likely not a single cause. Lack of oxygen, big change in temp and overall stress would come to mind first. I have made similar mistakes over the years and I usually attribute this to my lack of patience which has become much better in the last 10 years. Use this as a chance to learn and don't beat yourself up over it. Yes there was loss of life but it was not intentional and you have gained a lesson out of it. If I sound a little uncaring its probably because I am a little desensitized as over the years of breeding and culling euthanizing fish when needed has probably influenced my views.

Dan
The Dude1 and mbkemp like this.
Dman911 is online now  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911;1029for2633
Your well has chlorine/chloramines? It could be several things and more than likely not a single cause. Lack of oxygen, big change in temp and overall stress would come to mind first. I have made similar mistakes over the years and I usually attribute this to my lack of patience which has become much better in the last 10 years. Use this as a chance to learn and don't beat yourself up over it. Yes there was loss of life but it was not intentional and you have gained a lesson out of it. If I sound a little uncaring its probably because I am a little desensitized as over the years of breeding and culling euthanizing fish when needed has probably influenced my views.

Dan
This has me puzzled as well... then inwas reading Greggz thread... again... and noticed the mention of an ammonia spike when breaking down and moving an established tank... is that what happened?? Tank has been set up with no gravel / sand disturbance for about 18 months...
If so how long until it is safe to restock? I'm going to pick up more Prime tonight, but I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. I guess I will test when I get home. Hadn't even considered this. I'm hoping to finish getting this tank running and planted so I can get the other tank on top and start working on my tanks together.. since I'm starting over both will now be HEAVILY planted and at last one large Red sword. Is there one that you recommend?
There will be no plant eaters... no Pleco's, no Congo Tetras...
For the "wood" tank I'm thinking Bolivians, Apisto Caucatoides, 4 species of Rainbows and what bottom dweller? I'd love loaches. Any that don't touch the plants?
mbkemp likes this.
The Dude1 is online now  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Dman911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
This has me puzzled as well... then inwas reading Greggz thread... again... and noticed the mention of an ammonia spike when breaking down and moving an established tank... is that what happened?? Tank has been set up with no gravel / sand disturbance for about 18 months...
If so how long until it is safe to restock? I'm going to pick up more Prime tonight, but I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. I guess I will test when I get home. Hadn't even considered this. I'm hoping to finish getting this tank running and planted so I can get the other tank on top and start working on my tanks together.. since I'm starting over both will now be HEAVILY planted and at last one large Red sword. Is there one that you recommend?
There will be no plant eaters... no Pleco's, no Congo Tetras...
For the "wood" tank I'm thinking Bolivians, Apisto Caucatoides, 4 species of Rainbows and what bottom dweller? I'd love loaches. Any that don't touch the plants?
Definitely possible that could be the cause. Possibly huge spike in nitrogen or big release of H2S from substrate disturbance. Either way I would not add fish to the tank until you have tested parameters are can verify they are safe. Do you have a test kit by chance?

Added: H2S would explain the extremely fast death rate but again no way to be sure. Did you notice a rotten egg smell at all?

Dan
Dman911 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome