I will indeed be going with adult discus, probably 5" or so. My current stocking plan is:
~20 harlequin rasbora
~20 Silver hatchet fish
~12 Zebra Loaches
~20 amano shrimp
Plants will go in first, followed by the shrimp so they can grow out before I get the other fish. Once they are adults they can hold their own pretty well.
I neglected to put a picture of the sump in last time, so here it is:
Water enters from the left, goes through the sump to the return then goes into the UV filter. The UV filter is a Vecton 600 which is a 25W high dwell time UV sterilizer, which will run at nearly class 2 sterilization levels for my tank. It will run for 12 hours a day and the bulb will be replaced yearly.
From there the water will enter my CO2 reactor, which is a 3"x25" rexx griggs, as seen below:
I custom built my own regulator as well. My old lab was replacing their dual-stage regulators so I snagged one that was in good condition. I followed a bunch of the guides on here to get the parts I needed and build it. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I have my 20lb CO2 container now so I should be able to get it filled soon.
I recently moved out of our apartment and bought a house, so i finally can put all the work I've been doing to use and have started actually setting up the tank. It sat in my garage for about a month while we unpacked and renovated the house, but that extra time did give me a chance to leak test it.
Next step was hanging the light... that turned out to be not as simple as I was hoping. Studs are only every 18" which means the light is not quite centered over the tank. In the end that's ok since there will be plenty of light, and its really only off about 2 inches.
Once the light was in position it was time to get the tank in place. The tank is not light... it probably weighs about 300-400 lbs, but thankfully I had a bunch of friends willing to help me move it.
Last thing I needed to do once it was in place was seal the tank. The original tank builder didn't put an inner seal on the aquarium. To keep it looking cleaner he just used high strength silicone between the glass panes. It held water fine like that, and may have been fine for another 10 years, but just to be safe I decided to add the standard inner silicone seal on all the joints. This turned out to be a little trickier then I initially anticipated. The tank was too deep to do it well from a step ladder, so I ended up doing it from inside the tank, which was a little cramped, but I managed to make it work. My wife thought it was hilarious...
Well that's it for now, hope you're enjoying the journey so far!