South American 'style' blackwater 40b - The Planted Tank Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time to start a new journal! I won't use the term biotope whilst talking about this tank because it will end up on the very loose end of the spectrum. I'm not all that concerned about whether each critter can both be found in a specific stream, and the tank will be planted, albeit lightly.
Currently the tank and all equipment are set up and running while I wait for a hardscape order to arrive.

Hardware lists are fun right? I wanted to try out some equipment I've never used before, so most of this list is new and exciting for me.

Light- Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0
Glass lids
Tank- Seapora 40b
Filter- Hydor Professional 350
Heater- Aqueon Pro 150w
Stand- Marineland Newport

I actually liked the light enough to replace the faulty current plus pro on a different tank. The seapora tank is the only 40b I could find that actually uses a center brace. The glass is still plenty thick. I was really excited about the filter when I set it up, it's super quiet and has a great look to it. The flow rate is pretty high and the spraybar is nearly as long as the tank, which I think is great. I may need to enlarge the holes in the spraybar to lower the strength of flow a little.

The floor is pool filter sand, hardscape will consist of manzanita branches and river rock.
I'm planning on keeping it simple with plants, using vallisneria, floaters, and an amazon sword. Will be using seachem root tabs, but that's all.
The really fun part will be the "aquatic botanicals" I just got from Tannin Aquatics. These include catappa leaves and various seed pods, some of which will make perfect caves and hiding places.

The only fish I'm certain will go into the tank at the moment are a pair or trio of apistogramma agassizii. Open to suggestions for smaller dhither/schooling fishes. May just go with cardinals because of their flashiness against tinted water.

For now, here's a couple pictures of my order from Tannin Aquatics. This guy takes packaging seriously and it's amazing. He even through in a freebie pack of seed pods and a little vynil decal.
I've also attached a picture of our handsome little man, Oak, to distract you all of the lack of aquarium pictures.

JJBTEXAS, Nlewis and Hephaestus like this.

Last edited by jimmeh lee; 05-09-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally got my manzanita in the mail! It's waterlogging now, so unfortunately I'm not really able to arrange it in anyway. It does look pretty cool floating though. Still on the look out for some oval shaped river stones.

Tomas_Megis and osmosis like this.

Last edited by jimmeh lee; 05-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pictures aren't showing up for me, but it sounds like it's going to be a nice set up! I enjoy blackwater, tannin-soaked biotopes.
jimmeh lee likes this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! I'm looking forward to getting the layout together and darkening it up.
I edited the first two posts, the pictures are bbcode in the post instead of attachments now.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice selection of botanicals from Tannin! I'm with you on the cardinals. Despite sharing the tank with an adult blue angel, and other prominent fish, the cardinals are really the stars of my blackwater tank.

Looking forward to what you end up building and stocking.
jimmeh lee likes this.

Last edited by longgonedaddy; 05-10-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see the pictures now. I think it's a problem on my end because I can't seem to see attached pictures in any thread. Your driftwood looks nice! In addition to Apistos and Cardinals, perhaps add a school of otos and/or pygmy corys? Or any type of cory. I'm sure they'd love to rummage through the leaf litter.
jimmeh lee likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cardinals it is!
I was thinking about cories too, any idea what the smallest non-dwarf/pygmy species would be? I feel like they'd be just a little too small.
Hatchets crossed my mind as well, if I can get a hold of some nice floaters.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmeh lee View Post
Cardinals it is!
I was thinking about cories too, any idea what the smallest non-dwarf/pygmy species would be? I feel like they'd be just a little too small.
Hatchets crossed my mind as well, if I can get a hold of some nice floaters.
I have Metae cories which are fairly small. Take a look at aspidoras species as well.

I can send you some Brazilian pennywort if you'd like.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Planted Member

Corydoras matae and panda both reach a similar size of 50mm (2") and have similar patterns to them. Cory can have the funniest personalities when schooling together looking for food. You'll want to get tank raised cory. Wild caught cory are very skittish and hide constantly. Tank raised fish don't learn this behavior and are much more visible.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The metae/panda cories look cute, I think they'll go over well! How uncommon is it to find aspidoras species? I hadn't heard of them until I searched around a little for small cories earlier today.

Thank you for the pennywort offer! I'll keep that in mind in case I can't get any locally for sure.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
The metae/panda cories look cute, I think they'll go over well! How uncommon is it to find aspidoras species? I hadn't heard of them until I searched around a little for small cories earlier today.

Thank you for the pennywort offer! I'll keep that in mind in case I can't get any locally for sure.
Your best bet for aspidoras would be online, or having a LFS order for you if you have a great one. I try to avoid ordering species that I keep in large groups because it's more costly to bolster your numbers later, but sometimes that's the best way to get quality fish of a less common species.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

WOW! Manzanita looks amazing. It's a shame that's​ impossible to get it here in Czech republic...

Odesláno z mého Redmi Note 2 pomocí Tapatalk
jimmeh lee likes this.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
Corydoras matae and panda both reach a similar size of 50mm (2") and have similar patterns to them. Cory can have the funniest personalities when schooling together looking for food. You'll want to get tank raised cory. Wild caught cory are very skittish and hide constantly. Tank raised fish don't learn this behavior and are much more visible.
I agree with this. I have a few more than 20 corys in my tank, about half of which are tank raised, and the other half wild caught. If I want to see my panda and Metaes, I have to feed then sit really still.
jimmeh lee likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
Your best bet for aspidoras would be online, or having a LFS order for you if you have a great one. I try to avoid ordering species that I keep in large groups because it's more costly to bolster your numbers later, but sometimes that's the best way to get quality fish of a less common species.
That's pretty much what I figured. We'll probably end up sticking to a more common species if we get some. Gotta see if she thinks they're cute or not LOL.

ETA: The largest piece of wood is just about completely water logged, so either sometime during the week or this weekend we'll be putting it together and getting some of the botanicals and plants into the tank, really get the tint going and cycle finished up. Honestly the way everything sank/landed looks amazing so I don't think there's any way we'll be able to arrange it wrong lol.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
That's pretty much what I figured. We'll probably end up sticking to a more common species if we get some. Gotta see if she thinks they're cute or not LOL.

ETA: The largest piece of wood is just about completely water logged, so either sometime during the week or this weekend we'll be putting it together and getting some of the botanicals and plants into the tank, really get the tint going and cycle finished up. Honestly the way everything sank/landed looks amazing so I don't think there's any way we'll be able to arrange it wrong lol.
In my experience, most people find them cute once they see them swimming together.
jimmeh lee and Opare like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode